2024 preseason (camp, media stuff)

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Hard to say. There's 20 forwards in Cuda camp right now. Some of them seem like ECHL names, but I struggled to pick out 13 that were clear-cut Cuda guys.

Cuda are still missing about half their roster, it feels like. We've got preseason games tonight and Sunday, I'm hoping Halttunen plays in both to get a better read of where he's at.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Cuda are still missing about half their roster, it feels like. We've got preseason games tonight and Sunday, I'm hoping Halttunen plays in both to get a better read of where he's at.
Gushchin, Cardwell, Bordeleau are the only likely Cuda forwards up with the Sharks, no? Am I missing someone?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Gushchin-Poturalski-Cardwell
Graf-Bystedt-Bailey
Bordeleau-White-Halttunen

Looks like a pretty solid AHL top 9 on paper.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Gushchin, Cardwell, Bordeleau are the only likely Cuda forwards up with the Sharks, no? Am I missing someone?

Guessing Graf. I mean, him plus those guys are a good percentage of our top 6. Plus many of the defensemen that I'm expecting in the AHL are also mostly still up in Sharks' camp (Carlsson, Muk, Thompson, Cagnoni).

I'm expecting the bottom six tonight in the Bakersfield game to be a bunch of tryouts. Put Halttunen with Poturalski or Bystedt and see what happens. Cuda camp/preseason isn't very interesting this year, the only surprises on the camp roster were a bunch of guys from Wichita that were brought in for the sake of bodies. So at least Halttunen is something to watch.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Guessing Graf. I mean, him plus those guys are a good percentage of our top 6. Plus many of the defensemen that I'm expecting in the AHL are also mostly still up in Sharks' camp (Carlsson, Muk, Thompson, Cagnoni).

I'm expecting the bottom six tonight in the Bakersfield game to be a bunch of tryouts. Put Halttunen with Poturalski or Bystedt and see what happens.
That's right, Graf is who I was missing.

Poturalski seems like he might be a good fit for Haltunen, hopefully he can make things happen and show he's ready for pro hockey.

Carlsson and Cagnoni will definitely get returned to the AHL. My guess is that Thompson starts as the Sharks' #7 until Vlasic is healthy, then he gets returned to the Cuda. Mukh will start with the Cuda once he's healthy and I assume when he gets up to game speed he'll be assessed for NHL call-up.

Assuming all these guys end up with the Cuda, what kind of lineup are you looking at? I can guess at the top-4 D being something like Schuldt-Thompson, Mukhamadullin-Carlsson, maybe? Then a rotating cast of bottom pairing D like Cagnoni/etc.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
That's right, Graf is who I was missing.

Poturalski seems like he might be a good fit for Haltunen, hopefully he can make things happen and show he's ready for pro hockey.

Carlsson and Cagnoni will definitely get returned to the AHL. My guess is that Thompson starts as the Sharks' #7 until Vlasic is healthy, then he gets returned to the Cuda. Mukh will start with the Cuda once he's healthy and I assume when he gets up to game speed he'll be assessed for NHL call-up.

Assuming all these guys end up with the Cuda, what kind of lineup are you looking at? I can guess at the top-4 D being something like Schuldt-Thompson, Mukhamadullin-Carlsson, maybe? Then a rotating cast of bottom pairing D like Cagnoni/etc.

Yep, I think that's a good place to start:
Mukhamadullin-Carlsson
Schuldt-Thompson
Cagnoni-Frisch
Furlong, Pulli

I think both Muk and Carlsson are banged up right now (and I also think that's why Carlsson is still in Sharks camp), so Furlong can at least get a look early in the season. Schuldt-Thompson is about as natural a fit as you can get. Pulli showed a ton of improvement and I like him as a solid third pairing guy, but if Cagnoni makes it, sure seems like he gets squeezed out. Cagnoni-Frisch worked well in the preseason, I thought, though they give up size, since Frisch is the bigger of the two at 5'11".

That'd result in Hache, Guryev, Bucheler and Laroque headed to the ECHL. tbh, this is why I'm baffled Joey Keane is still in camp. How many bodies on defense do we need?

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Hard to say. There's 20 forwards in Cuda camp right now. Some of them seem like ECHL names, but I struggled to pick out 13 that were clear-cut Cuda guys.
The Cuda have a lot more depth this year. I believe the Cuda typically carry more than the 23 man NHL roster limit.

I do think it will be a challenge to get all the players consistent ice time.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yep, I think that's a good place to start:
Mukhamadullin-Carlsson
Schuldt-Thompson
Cagnoni-Frisch
Furlong, Pulli

I think both Muk and Carlsson are banged up right now (and I also think that's why Carlsson is still in Sharks camp), so Furlong can at least get a look early in the season. Schuldt-Thompson is about as natural a fit as you can get. Pulli showed a ton of improvement and I like him as a solid third pairing guy, but if Cagnoni makes it, sure seems like he gets squeezed out. Cagnoni-Frisch worked well in the preseason, I thought, though they give up size, since Frisch is the bigger of the two at 5'11".

That'd result in Hache, Guryev, Bucheler and Laroque headed to the ECHL. tbh, this is why I'm baffled Joey Keane is still in camp. How many bodies on defense do we need?
The Sharks had Cagnoni playing on the right a couple times in camp, maybe he could play with Pulli? I will say I think Pulli showed well in camp relative to what I saw from him last year.

I really want Laroque to play on the Cuda, but if he doesn't earn it, then there's not much you can do. I know you were a fan of Frisch last year, but I didn't notice him much (maybe that's a good thing).

Hache is probably ECHL bound given the glut of defensemen and his youth/inexperience.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
The Sharks had Cagnoni playing on the right a couple times in camp, maybe he could play with Pulli? I will say I think Pulli showed well in camp relative to what I saw from him last year.

I really want Laroque to play on the Cuda, but if he doesn't earn it, then there's not much you can do. I know you were a fan of Frisch last year, but I didn't notice him much (maybe that's a good thing).

Hache is probably ECHL bound given the glut of defensemen and his youth/inexperience.

Dunno how you feel about hockeystatcards. But this is the one for the game Cagnoni and Frisch played together this preseason:

Ethan Frisch plays defense. Like, that's basically all he does. Cagnoni's defensive issues look like a very real thing, so if he's in the lineup, I'd like to staple someone defensively responsible to him. Pulli's good, but putting him in for his size doesn't work for me. He doesn't play like he's the biggest guy on the ice, which has been my issue with him. Yeah, Frisch is my guy, but there's good reason I keep sticking up for him. I do hope he doesn't become a victim of the numbers game we've got going.

I had some hope for Laroque because he looked like he was moving around a lot better during the prospect tournament, but the fact that he was gone in the first round of cuts makes me think he's pretty far down on the depth chart.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Dunno how you feel about hockeystatcards. But this is the one for the game Cagnoni and Frisch played together this preseason:

Ethan Frisch plays defense. Like, that's basically all he does. Cagnoni's defensive issues look like a very real thing, so if he's in the lineup, I'd like to staple someone defensively responsible to him. Pulli's good, but putting him in for his size doesn't work for me. He doesn't play like he's the biggest guy on the ice, which has been my issue with him. Yeah, Frisch is my guy, but there's good reason I keep sticking up for him. I do hope he doesn't become a victim of the numbers game we've got going.

I had some hope for Laroque because he looked like he was moving around a lot better during the prospect tournament, but the fact that he was gone in the first round of cuts makes me think he's pretty far down on the depth chart.

I think there's some merit to those cards. And you've seen way more of Frisch than I have, so I'm more than happy to take your word for it.

Do you think he'd be a good partner for Cagnoni? Based on what you're saying, I feel like maybe the scenario is Pulli and Cagnoni rotating in and out of the third pairing next to Frisch, at least until Mukh gets called up.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
I think there's some merit to those cards. And you've seen way more of Frisch than I have, so I'm more than happy to take your word for it.

Do you think he'd be a good partner for Cagnoni? Based on what you're saying, I feel like maybe the scenario is Pulli and Cagnoni rotating in and out of the third pairing next to Frisch, at least until Mukh gets called up.

It's what I'd do to start. We've got a lot of offensive-minded defensemen and I feel like that limits who Cagnoni can be put with. If he can be on the right, you could maybe put him with Schuldt. But I just like the idea of Schuldt-Thompson too much.

If everyone is healthy, this is a really stacked group of defensemen, on paper. Last year I was very excited about the Barracuda center depth, which we got to have for all of about six games. This year it's the defense.

Speaking of too many bodies:

Gushchin-Poturalski-Cardwell
Graf-Bystedt-Bailey
Bordeleau-White-Halttunen

Looks like a pretty solid AHL top 9 on paper.

It definitely does, and I like it. But I feel like Sabourin is more likely to be on that third line. I have issues with the guy at times, but can't deny he provides offense and physicality. You could probably see Robins mixing in there too. Basically, is Halttunen better than any of those other wingers, right now? I'm not sure yet.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Man you can tell some people don't really pay attention.

There is already a Habs Fanatic article saying the Sharks screwed up by sending him down and they should maybe try to get Askarov

Guessing they didn't notice he missed training camp :laugh:
I don't really understand why there's so much discourse from Habs fans on this. Were they in on Askarov?

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Man you can tell some people don't really pay attention.

There is already a Habs Fanatic article saying the Sharks screwed up by sending him down and they should maybe try to get Askarov

Guessing they didn't notice he missed training camp :laugh:
Jesus Christ, I almost never leave the Sharks board and dabble in the other sections. The trade thread is some serious knuckle draggers.

Are people always this f***ing stupid? I get the headline awful but Yikes Town.

Reactions: coooldude

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Jesus Christ, I almost never leave the Sharks board and dabble in the other sections. The trade thread is some serious knuckle draggers.

Are people always this f***ing stupid? I get the headline awful but Yikes Town.
The worst offenders tend to be Habs fans and Rangers fans imho. Occasionally flyers fans, and a lot of shit fights between Leafs, Oilers, VAN, and other CDN team fans. At least some other Habs and Canadian team fans are also good posters.

Just to avoid any reprobation from the mods: I am not saying all of a fan base are anything at all other than fans of their team. Just commenting on HFB poster trends :cool:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad