2024 preseason (camp, media stuff)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I mean, it's pretty obviously top-6 or bust for Gushchin right now. The third line is going to be Goodrow-Wennberg-Kunin. Gushchin isn't beating out any of Eklund/Celebrini/Smith/Granlund/Zetterlund/Toffoli for a top-6 job, and he's not playing on the 4th line. So unless one of those top-6 guys isn't healthy (could be Granlund I guess), Gushchin isn't making it.
I don't think it's anywhere near as set in stone as you think but you may be right. I hope Gushchin gives them a good enough reason to avoid a 3rd line like that. I don't see how that 3rd line helps the top six at all.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
How about this?

Eklund-Celebrini-Toffoli
Gushchin-Smith-Zetterlund
Goodrow-Granlund-Kunin
Grundstrom-Wennberg-Dellandrea

Gushchin fanboys get their wish, Goodrow and Kunin still get top nine minutes, everybody wins. Except for Granlund but he's not long for this team anyway.
Any lineup with Kunin in the top-9 is yucky to me, sorry. :laugh:

If you switched Kunin and Wennberg that would be awesome.

I don't think it's anywhere near as set in stone as you think but you may be right. I hope Gushchin gives them a good enough reason to avoid a 3rd line like that. I don't see how that 3rd line helps the top six at all.
Hope to be wrong, obviously. Just don't think I am.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Any lineup with Kunin in the top-9 is yucky to me, sorry. :laugh:

If you switched Kunin and Wennberg that would be awesome.

Hope to be wrong, obviously. Just don't think I am.
You've been right plenty so I wouldn't doubt it. I just don't like the idea of either Goodrow or Kunin in the top-nine especially when we have the sort of talent to make a competitive 3rd line without them.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Without injury, I don't think Gush is getting his shot in the top 6 to start the season.

Eklund-Celebrini-Toffoli
Granlund-Smith-Zetterlund
(or some combination of that sans injury)
Goodrow-Wennberg-Kunin
Grundstrom-Sturm-Dellandrea

Next up is probably still Kostin, THEN Gushchin, then Cardwell or Graf depending on the injury. Maybe Gush gets a shot before Kostin if Klim is still super inconsistent AND Gush is extremely consistent in practice and the last few preseason games.

If one of Smith or Celebrini is out, Wennberg will come up to 2C, Granlund will likely play 1C, OR, Granlund will swing into C and one of Kostin or Gushchin will slot in. It depends on how much Warso values a true shutdown line, thus whether to prioritize Wennberg for DZ starts / hard matchups.

If one of the wings is out, then likely Kostin or Gushchin get their chance. If it's a bottom 6 injury, then it's probably Kostin first and then Graf or Cardwell.

Unfortunately, there's no way that Goodrow and Kunin, both wearing A's at times, are going to be getting a lot of scratches.

• Wow

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Gushchin-Smith-Zetterlund
This line utterly lacks a defensive conscience and has zero players who are ready to drive play at even strength against NHL competition, it would be a disaster and would be a great way to set both Smith and Gushchin up to fail simultaneously

Pairing Smith with Granlund is the only reasonable move if he's gonna be playing top-6 minutes as a teenager, otherwise he should be playing with Wennberg on the 3rd line

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I feel like there's a good chance of emulating a Seattle situation. Where it's basically line 2-4 are basically equivalent. We don't really know how Warsofsky is gonna run lines but I don't think there's been a real hint at there being a true bottom 6 checking line.

• Wow

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You've been right plenty so I wouldn't doubt it. I just don't like the idea of either Goodrow or Kunin in the top-nine especially when we have the sort of talent to make a competitive 3rd line without them.
I decided that I'll be okay with Goodrow in the top-9, but Kunin is where I draw the line. If you put Wennberg with a guy who can actually finish (like Gushchin), Goodrow is fine as the one forechecking/defensive guy on the line.

I feel like there's a good chance of emulating a Seattle situation. Where it's basically line 2-4 are basically equivalent. We don't really know how Warsofsky is gonna run lines but I don't think there's been a real hint at there being a true bottom 6 checking line.
You don't think Goodrow-Wennberg-Kunin is a checking line?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I decided that I'll be okay with Goodrow in the top-9, but Kunin is where I draw the line. If you put Wennberg with a guy who can actually finish (like Gushchin), Goodrow is fine as the one forechecking/defensive guy on the line.
They both suck to me so I'd like a 3rd line without them. They can be Sturm's wingers on a 4th line and I'd be fine with that but I'd want to see how someone like Dellandrea or Grundstrom would do with Gushchin and Wennberg if he doesn't stick with Smith.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

You don't think Goodrow-Wennberg-Kunin is a checking line?
i was gonna say it's more just a line that's popped up as an option rather than a settled line but i guess that combo's been showing up at camp a bunch this last week so maybe it is now. i haven't been super keyed in on those guys.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
They both suck to me so I'd like a 3rd line without them. They can be Sturm's wingers on a 4th line and I'd be fine with that but I'd want to see how someone like Dellandrea or Grundstrom would do with Gushchin and Wennberg if he doesn't stick with Smith.
I'd rather the third line be like, Gushchin-Wennberg-Grundstrom, but very technically Goodrow isn't the worst option in the world. I want to be at least slightly realistic to what an NHL coach would do.

i was gonna say it's more just a line that's popped up as an option rather than a settled line but i guess that combo's been showing up at camp a bunch this last week so maybe it is now. i haven't been super keyed in on those guys.
They've played two preseason games together and have practiced together a lot IIRC.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I would think that Gushchin's best chance is on a sheltered line with Smith, so something like Gushchin-Smith-Wennberg with a top-6 of Eklund-Celebrini-Toffoli and Goodrow-Granlund-Zetterlund (4th line is, for example, Grundstrom-Sturm-Kunin)

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I’ve actually really liked Wennberg in the preseason and I feel like if he was given good linemates he’d actually put up some points. But Goodrow and Kunin are not the droids we are looking for.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I’ve actually really liked Wennberg in the preseason and I feel like if he was given good linemates he’d actually put up some points. But Goodrow and Kunin are not the droids we are looking for.
Agreed 100%, which is why I think he'd look good with Will Smith on a hypothetical 3rd line if Granlund is used to center the other top-6 line

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Smith will be playing with Zetterlund. They have been attached to each other throughout camp as much as Celebrini and Toffoli.

The other wing with Smith will determine if it is the 2nd line or 3rd.

2nd Line
Granlund - Smith - Zetterlund
Or
Eklund - Smith - Zetterlund

3rd Line
Gushchin - Smith - Zetterlund
Or
Wennberg - Smith - Zetterlund

The “Lund” line is officially dead until the real Lund is signed from college.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
The “Lund” line is officially dead until the real Lund is signed from college.
For now. It's a long season.

Lund Line could reunite, leaving space for Smith/Celebrini/Toffoli or any of (most to least likely) Kostin, Wennberg, Graf, Goose, Cardwell, or Kunin/Goody/Grundstrom to fill in on that LW.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Wouldn't Halttunen have been sent back to London by now if they didn't plan on him playing for the Cuda this season?

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Wouldn't Halttunen have been sent back to London by now if they didn't plan on him playing for the Cuda this season?
Hard to say. There's 20 forwards in Cuda camp right now. Some of them seem like ECHL names, but I struggled to pick out 13 that were clear-cut Cuda guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad