OT - NO POLITICS 2024 Paris Olympics

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I'm surprised they didn't especially when it came out this wasn't an isolated incident. I am in full agreement and that goes to any country in any sport. Cheating cannot be tolerated period but especially in the Olympics. It goes against the spirit of the games.
I agree, it has tarnished the team and country.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
USA Men’s Gymnastics is crushing it this morning. Local guys, Frederick Richard and Stephen Nedoroscik are crushing it. Biggest story thus far is the man that earned the team this Olympic spot, Paul Juda and Brody Malone struggling. Heartbreaking for Brody.

Won’t know for a few hours where the overall standings are because there are a few more subdivisions where the favorites China and Japan are.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Listen for the names Paul Juda and Frederick Richard (Stoughton, MA). They will compete all around next week. Paul Juda had the meet of his life today.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Opening ceremony was trash
I watched first hour went to Red Sox but taped - I was and will focus on city, the famous places ~ they give you that and helps me put into perspective

The boat part was meh but it achieved my objective to see the famous sites so in a weird way it was good

I’m a Lady Ga Ga fan but I had 0.0 understanding of that song and presentation its importance in French culture/history.

I’m a Neanderthal who has a half dozen hockey fight tapes who’s favorite posters are Fenian & Sheppy so to me I’ll take the Who doing My Generation and Keith Moon tossing his drums into the English Channel while eating 5 Guys double cheeseburger.

I’ve figured out who I am and it’s kinda sad

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I didn’t enjoy it. Was more about the pageantry than the athletes. The athletes almost seemed like an afterthought.

I always love the trivia and facts about the nations and athletes and there was none of that.

Right, I didn't see much because as I said above I thought the NBC presentation was poor. Obviously the producers of the NBC production believe that is what Americans want to see, and not the way if was when we used to watch the Olympics. I remember Jim McKay and those productions were so simple, and so good. Probably were done with one tenth the people that use today . Simply show what is happening, and use commentary to add to the scene.

Now NBC has seemed to have decided that the Parade of nations is not something that American viewers want to focus on, and rather it is just a chance to advertise for the celebrities who they will focus their tv coverage on for the next 2 weeks . I have always been a bit hit and miss on some of the performances during Olympics ceremonies, but the parade of nations. The little factoids about different countries, etc. were always the absolute highlight of any Olympics

I will say , as much as I thought the parade of nations along the river would be awesome, and maybe in some ways it was. I didn't realize that they would be putting multiple nations on single boats . Not sure I loved that, but maybe in person it worked well.

I still remember spending the 1996 Olympic opening ceremony in Centennial park watching the broadcast, which was hosted in the park by Sinbad, who would come out during the commercials . And then riding MARTA back to my hotel, with dozens of the teens who had performed during the ceremony on the same train still in their leotards, and with the wings they had as part of the costume

Reactions: Kate08

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I didn't watch the opening ceremony. I can't stand Celine Dion.

I will watch some of the events
I thought she was the only watchable part of the entire ceremony,and it was only a couple of minutes,won’t be watching the closing ceremonies that’s for sure ,as far as the rest,I have never been a big summer Olympics fan,much prefer the winter.

Reactions: McGarnagle

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
@Aussie Bruin It was an interesting broadcast show to work At my age, I was delighted that OBS assigned an intern to handle my tripod.

Broadband cellular now works flawlessly with minor latency issues - that means no cables.

Glad you're getting to experience it all. There were a couple of things I didn't like in the opening ceremony but on the whole I enjoyed it and appreciated that it was different and very French. Really don't need to see yet another stadium show so I thought this was clever and a bold attempt even if not everything clicked and the weather turned against them. As a showcase of the world's most beautiful city (forget trying to be subjective, it just is!) it did its job.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I thought she was the only watchable part of the entire ceremony,and it was only a couple of minutes,won’t be watching the closing ceremonies that’s for sure ,as far as the rest,I have never been a big summer Olympics fan,much prefer the winter.
I like the gymnastics and swimming (and diving)

Reactions: Blowfish

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017
I like the winter games better, but I will watch a few sports. Gojira was not expected; that was cool, as was the laser show. The rest, well, its nice to fast-forward through the artsy stuff. It fills a bit of the hockey gap for now, I guess.

Gojira performance without commentators running in it

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I like the winter games better, but I will watch a few sports. Gojira was not expected; that was cool, as was the laser show. The rest, well, its nice to fast-forward through the artsy stuff. It fills a bit of the hockey gap for now, I guess.

Gojira performance without commentators running in it

I`m the same, typically more interest for me during winter games but I do enjoy some events in summer games, really enjoy swimming, rowing and some track events

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Oh my goodness, Does Peacock offer a version of the Olympic ceremonies without all the BS? i had been looking forward to this for a very long time, I seriously considered going to Paris and paying 5-10 grand for a package to watch this. I could not make it 15 minutes into NBC coverage without turning off. Barely showing the parade of nations, instead blabbering on with snoop dogg. and showing team USA for 2 minutes for every time they dare flash away to some other countries boat

I shut it off after 5 minutes. NBC botched it IMO.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
IMG_6141.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad