Olympics: 2024 Olympics - Opening Ceremony - 1:30 PM Eastern

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Here’s a link to the video of the Gojira performance (without any commentators talking over it) for anyone interested.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I didn't watch but what was the Assassin's Creed reference?
112051067.jpg

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Come on. It happens once every 4 years and the committee have been working on this for 7. I'll never get people wishing it ends as soon as possible so they can go back at doing all the really special things they can accomplish at any given time. Just record it and watch the highlights.

I didn't see it all but the stuff I watched was pretty good, lots of energy even in the rain. I just find the thing at the end where they take the torch, take two steps, hand it off to someone else to do the same and repeat 20x real stupid.

Reactions: I am not exposed

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I thought it was fun while I watched. Unfortunately I fell asleep before Céline Dion but watched it in the morning, what an incredible performer.

Then I have a quick scroll on Twitter to see people rambling about wokeness and how the West has fallen. Incredible how different lives some people can live.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I've been traveling for work but will want to watch it eventually. However, Twitter appears to not be too happy with anything that wasn't Celina or the heavy metal band (Gojira sp?)

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
The papa smurf lookalike on a table apparently mocking the last supper with one dude's balls hanging out clearly crosses the line. Inclusion? More like exclusion. The hypocrisy must be called out.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I thought it was fun while I watched. Unfortunately I fell asleep before Céline Dion but watched it in the morning, what an incredible performer.

Then I have a quick scroll on Twitter to see people rambling about wokeness and how the West has fallen. Incredible how different lives some people can live.
Hint: those tend to be Russian (bots).

The papa smurf lookalike on a table apparently mocking the last supper with one dude's balls hanging out clearly crosses the line. Inclusion? More like exclusion. The hypocrisy must be called out.
That was a clear wardrobe malfunction. :laugh: But I would've cut that segment out just to shorten the broadcast. I wasn't even paying much attention when it was going on.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Hint: those tend to be Russian (bots).

That was a clear wardrobe malfunction. :laugh: But I would've cut that segment out just to shorten the broadcast. I wasn't even paying much attention when it was going on.
It was clearly intentional given the nature of the presentation. C'mon

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
It was not. All the medias here are mentioning it as a wardrobe malfunction. The organizers would get in trouble for anything intentional nudity, come on. Use your brains.
There was no dude's ball hanging out at any point. It's been debunked.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
ignoring the freakshow runway thing, i think it was a below average ceremony. The worst since Vancouver which I still think is the worst modern ceremony.
It was saved by a 10/10 celine appearance and that is a great contribution to the opening ceremony canon. it's up there with the Ali torch lighting as iconic. at the end of the day, that is what it will be remembered for so it will be a succsess in that regard that they made a very positive memory.

overall felt like paris misunderstood the assignment.
i didn't at all enjoy the parade of nations via boat. not enough attention was given to the athletes or the nations. there is a reason why we've never seen it before it's not like Paris is the first host city with water running thru it, it's a bad idea. being the flag bearer meant nothing at these games because you didn't lead your nation out of the tunnel into the coliseum so to speak. you just stood there at the front, majority of which shared a boat with other nations so it's not like you were at the front of the boat. You just chilled in the middle. I felt bad for the olympians.
They way over relied of prerecorded stuff and it all felt design by committee. There was a definitive lack of mass human formation creating impressive spectacle like many other ceremonies have had.

It all seemed very cheap and felt holo and empty. There was no energy to any of it.

Last edited:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
being the flag bearer meant nothing at these games because you didn't lead your nation out of the tunnel into the coliseum so to speak. you just stood there at the front, majority of which shared a boat with other nations so it's not like you were at the front of the boat. You just chilled in the middle. I felt bad for the olympians.

Brits understood how to do it with being a flagbearer in a boat. It's too bad other nations weren't smart enough to catch up with the Franch organizers line of thinking and the tone of this particular ceremony.

Team Great Britain’s Flag-Bearers Tom Daley and Helen Grover Recreate Popular ‘Titanic’ Pose During Paris Olympics 2024 Opening Ceremony, Fans React | 🏆 LatestLY

Reactions: Jussi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad