OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Whatever their doing with the new contract is manipulation. They'll still have to pay that 10 deferred next season if they cut him next season. Still not addressing my POINT that Cam is DONE and should not be taking up so much salary.
Yes, of course it's salary cap manipulation lol. And no they do not... not really at least, that ~$10m restructure (his cap hit was going to be $22m prior to this deal) offsets any potential dead cap hit if he's released after 2024. He got no new money in the sense that none of the money beyond this year is fully guaranteed. Basically, if they want him back next year, they can do it for around $14-15m. Same thing in 2026. They just have to decide in March every year.

And I do not agree that he is done. The teams run defense was markedly worse in games he was out.

Last edited:
Reactions: TooManyHumans

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Yes, of course it's salary cap manipulation lol. And no they do not... not really at least, that ~$10m restructure (his cap hit was going to be $22m prior to this deal) offsets any potential dead cap hit if he's released after 2024. He got no new money in the sense that none of the money beyond this year is fully guaranteed. Basically, if they want him back next year, they can do it for around $14-15m. Same thing in 2026. They just have to decide in March every year.

And I do not agree that he is done. The teams ru defense was markedly worse in games he was out.
He may not be done, but he's nowhere near worth 22 million. If they would have cut him, they could have found an equal or greater player and saved money.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
He may not be done, but he's nowhere near worth 22 million. If they would have cut him, they could have found an equal or greater player and saved money.
Once again, he’s not getting 22m this year. I just don’t think you understand the contract and how guaranteed money works, no offence. His AAV is $14.5m on a year by year basis in 2025 and 2026, if the team so chooses.

And I simply do not agree that they could have gotten a greater player for less. Go look up Arik Armsteads numbers last year. He’s a guy the Jags just signed for around the same figure in Free Agency.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Saquon is going to blow up this year. Potential MVP candidate, IMO. Just insane some of the talent I’ve gotten to witness come from PSU.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
It looks doubtful Wilson will play with a calf injury.

Fields worries me. Wilson for all his faults can throw the deep ball. I don't know if Fields' athleticism is going to be enough to beat a defense that is going to be selling out to stop the run game.

And Arthur Smith is allergic to playing spread football, which seems to me what you need to do with Justin Fields.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The NFL salary cap is fake, anyone getting mad about cap hits in future years is simply ignoring that teams can just change contracts to make it work under the cap.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Once again, he’s not getting 22m this year. I just don’t think you understand the contract and how guaranteed money works, no offence. His AAV is $14.5m on a year by year basis in 2025 and 2026, if the team so chooses.

And I simply do not agree that they could have gotten a greater player for less. Go look up Arik Armsteads numbers last year. He’s a guy the Jags just signed for around the same figure in Free Agency.
You just want to be right about the numbers......which I'm not talking about!!! If they cut Cam this offseason they would have save 15 million. HE's overpaid, no matter how you make the numbers look. It's team tomlin taking care of one of his guys who's never sniffed winning anything.

I'll be asking you throughout the season for Cam updates and how many games and how many times he dominates. When I do, don't get defensive, just state the facts.

Mr Jeff Jimerson

May 9, 2013
Saquon is going to blow up this year. Potential MVP candidate, IMO. Just insane some of the talent I’ve gotten to witness come from PSU.
Va9soKr.png

Where'd all that "talent" go?:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
It looks doubtful Wilson will play with a calf injury.

Fields worries me. Wilson for all his faults can throw the deep ball. I don't know if Fields' athleticism is going to be enough to beat a defense that is going to be selling out to stop the run game.

And Arthur Smith is allergic to playing spread football, which seems to me what you need to do with Justin Fields.

Well this is what you get when you have a coach that has no plan, concept strategy or any idea what he's doing other than look at me I'm a cool dude.

@bigdaddyk88 is it cool dude or cool dood?

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
You just want to be right about the numbers......which I'm not talking about!!! If they cut Cam this offseason they would have save 15 million. HE's overpaid, no matter how you make the numbers look. It's team tomlin taking care of one of his guys who's never sniffed winning anything.

I'll be asking you throughout the season for Cam updates and how many games and how many times he dominates. When I do, don't get defensive, just state the facts.
I mean every single post you've made about the Heyward contract is basically just "He's not worth the amount we're paying him" - while being wrong about the amount we're paying him. You are either unwilling or unable to understand this, so I don't see any point in continuing this conversation with you.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Well this is what you get when you have a coach that has no plan, concept strategy or any idea what he's doing other than look at me I'm a cool dude.

@bigdaddyk88 is it cool dude or cool dood?
Fields fits Smith system better then RW. They are able to do everything Tanahill did in Tennessee. I fully expect waggle rpo roll outs with half field reads. We will see but Smith said Tomlin hired him to be hc of yhe offense
RW has a safer floor

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I'm tired of these senile people who do the college football rankings ranking Notre Dame top 10 every pre-season so they can reach the playoffs by running through the damn service acadamies. They are a garbage institution that is too scared to play regular top competition outside of USC.

These grandpas all think it is 1988. Losing to Northern Illinois lol.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I'm tired of these senile people who do the college football rankings ranking Notre Dame top 10 every pre-season so they can reach the playoffs by running through the damn service acadamies. They are a garbage institution that is too scared to play regular top competition outside of USC.

Wonder how far ND drops. Right now Alabama finds themselves with the same score after 3 as the ND game today.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
At least we didn’t lose like Notre Dame. Schedule is a cake walk until USC and I’m not overly worried about them either. They’re soft.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018

They are the most consistently overrated team in college football. Every damn year they are way higher than they should be and get boatraced by the first good team they face. Didn't even wait for a good team this year. Loved seeing it.

They were never going to cut him. He was going to get his $16 million this year no matter what. The contract is nothing but a win for the Steelers give that. Be upset that they brought him back at all if you like, but the contract is not a problem at all as it guarantees him nothing above what he was always going to get this year anyway. And I don't think Cam is done. As was pointed out, if nothing else he is still very strong against the run. We were a bottom run defense team without him and a top one with him.

Reactions: WickedWrister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad