Speculation: 2024 Offseason Talk

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I agree and I think that’s the right call. I get wanting Mav at center long term but I don’t see a problem with him adjusting to the league on the wing.
My thinking would be WJ is so elite/prodigy it doesn't matter where you put him at this stage, he'll be great at everything and he can always go back to C when needed. I think they'll want to get back to having an unstoppable 1st line.

Whereas you're at the most sensitive stage right now for Mav, you've studiously kept him at C this entire development time. Insulate him with Benn and someone you know he already has chemistry with in Stank and make sure the transition goes smoothly.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
My thinking would be WJ is so elite/prodigy it doesn't matter where you put him at this stage, he'll be great at everything and he can always go back to C when needed. I think they'll want to get back to having an unstoppable 1st line.

Whereas you're at the most sensitive stage right now for Mav, you've studiously kept him at C this entire development time. Insulate him with Benn and someone you know he already has chemistry with in Stank and make sure the transition goes smoothly.
Can’t really argue with this. Honestly I’d like to see them try more combinations out throughout the year. I appreciated the stability they had in their lines last year but it was almost too stable. When lines went cold in the playoffs, it felt like we didn’t have alternate line combos that we had tested out to fall back on.

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
Can’t really argue with this. Honestly I’d like to see them try more combinations out throughout the year. I appreciated the stability they had in their lines last year but it was almost too stable. When lines went cold in the playoffs, it felt like we didn’t have alternate line combos that we had tested out to fall back on.
I'm really surprised PD never broke the emergency glass to put Hintz Robo WJ back together at any point in the playoffs (that I recall). It was such good line in their short sample size.

I don't love WJ being a winger but the most important thing is to get him #1 line ice time and PP time. If that means playing RW so be it.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'm really surprised PD never broke the emergency glass to put Hintz Robo WJ back together at any point in the playoffs (that I recall). It was such good line in their short sample size.

I don't love WJ being a winger but the most important thing is to get him #1 line ice time and PP time. If that means playing RW so be it.

DeBoer wants Johnston at C. He will never be on the wing longterm imo

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think I would keep the Benn-WJ-Stank line together if Jamie is still going "okay". I think Borque could do well on that top line and the other two can shelter him until he gets up to speed. Or, he gets up to speed as fast as Stank did and we have no problem.

Who would be the best FW to replace Joe's tipping ability? I think he was tipping at 20-25% before it became standard in the last few years.......;)

Reactions: redbeardtx

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I think I would keep the Benn-WJ-Stank line together if Jamie is still going "okay". I think Borque could do well on that top line and the other two can shelter him until he gets up to speed. Or, he gets up to speed as fast as Stank did and we have no problem.

Who would be the best FW to replace Joe's tipping ability? I think he was tipping at 20-25% before it became standard in the last few years.......;)
Hmm. Tomas Holmstrom would be perfect!

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
According to Capfriendly, we have 19.1m cap space. Is this accurate or am I missing something? Is that what we will be working with on July 1?

If so, how realistic are these numbers:

- Duchene 4m x 4
- Harley - 3.5m x 3
- Steel - 1m x 2
- Nils - 1m x 1
- DeSmith/Talbot - 1.25m x 2

with
- Bourque - 900k
- Bichsel - 900k

that's about 12.6, leaving 6.5 to sign 2 defense. So you either go Roy/Montour + bargain bin, or two of guys like Walker/Kulikov/Schultz/Barrie?

Do we somehow move Faksa for more space?

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Harley will probably be closer to 4 and I think we have Pavs bonuses from last year.

Moving Faksa would be great, but I think we missed our opportunity to dump him. Maybe we could trade him for a depth Dman

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I highly doubt Nils is going anywhere, Steel who knows, someone might give him a better contract than we can match.

If he does leave, keeping Faksa and his $3mil over him is idiotic.

Unless Nils is a sadist, I see no reason for him to return. He wants to play, and I think he's a pretty smart guy that's figured out these coaches aren't fans of his.

The reason Steel could come back is he knows he has a fairly significant role and the trust of the coaches. If no team out there is dangling a big contract, I could easily see him taking Dallas' offer.

Reactions: LT

LT

XXXX - XXXX - XX__ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Hopeful for a Steel contract being announced later today.

Odd choice though. Wonder if he wants a bigger role or if Nill is scared of arbitration (even though it'd give us another chance to buy out Faksa...).

Reactions: redbeardtx

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Hopeful for a Steel contract being announced later today.

Odd choice though. Wonder if he wants a bigger role or if Nill is scared of arbitration (even though it'd give us another chance to buy out Faksa...).
It’s gotta be arbitration.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad