Prospect Info: 2024 Offseason Prospect Rankings #18

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is the best prospect?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Vote for the best prospect.

1. Tanner Molendyk (35.5%)
2. Zachary L'Heureux (53.5%)
3. Joakim Kemell (62.1%)
4. Matthew Wood (46.4%)
5. Fedor Svechkov (65.5%)
6. Yegor Surin (89.3%)
7. David Edström (33.3%)
8. Andrew Gibson (56.7%)
9. Ryan Ufko (67.6%)
10. Teddy Stiga (60.0%)
11. Aiden Fink (36.0%)
12. Reid Schaefer (34.8%)
13. Semyon Chistyakov (52.4%)
14. Kalan Lind (56.3%)
15. Felix Nilsson (63.2%)
16. Hiroki Gojsic (53.3%)
17. Ozzy Wiesblatt (26.7%)

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Now we're allowed to vote for Chrona? Yay. Well, I have no idea if he'll be any good, actually, but this is basically a vote for Mitch Korn. Chrona has size, great numbers in college, and 9 NHL games under his belt as a rookie pro. And Mitch Korn to work with. I'm not sure how many guys left here are EVER going to play 9 NHL games, tbh. So him.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Wiesblatt and gojsic above kulonummi, matier, marques and gustafsson is absolutely hilarious.
Wiesblatt and Gojsic were possibly the two best newcomers at the rookie camp though? They looked good.

We haven't really seen much of Kulonummi or Gustafsson...

Kulonummi is off to a good start in Finland this year. We saw a bit of this with Nilsson, where it's easy to get foooled by a teenager with paltry stats in a men's league... Kulo had just 4 assists in 40 games last year... but has 2g/1a in the first 4games of the new season. I certainly voted for him a lot higher last year when his U20 stats were off the charts. I guess I'm still not sure where a slight/smooth-skating D who isn't a true superstar necessarily fits in the modern NHL though... put up all the points you want in Europe... where do you slot that guy in the NHL? That's kind of Fabbro? But skinnier and without the local ties?

Gustafsson is a totally different style, but I have a hunch the Nashville scouting recipe can still be trusted on D, and they picked him quite high. He has 6pts in 6games already this season in Sweden's junior league. Despite being touted as a pure defensive/shut-down guy.

I think it's totally valid to consider Kulonummi and Gustafsson. There isn't anything "hilarious" going on in these rankings at all... the really cool thing is that even down at the #15-25 spots we still have names who could emerge as legit NHLers. That's a Good Thing.
:handclap:

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
And I still think if you wanted to extend the above thinking, don't forget Dylan MacKinnon... another guy who doesn't shine on statistics alone, but got into the summer world junior showcase, and is just so good at the rest of the game outside of putting up numbers that scouts and others are aware of him. He played Hlinka and was in the Team Canada camp, I don't think he'll make the WJC but... he's a legit prospect too.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
And I still think if you wanted to extend the above thinking, don't forget Dylan MacKinnon... another guy who doesn't shine on statistics alone, but got into the summer world junior showcase, and is just so good at the rest of the game outside of putting up numbers that scouts and others are aware of him. He played Hlinka and was in the Team Canada camp, I don't think he'll make the WJC but... he's a legit prospect too.
I voted MacKinnon. He may not have the best ceiling of the guys left but with his sound overall game and solid frame I think he might have the highest floor. Even if he just ends up a 7th D or something that could very well be the best outcome of the remaining group.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I agree about Mackinnon. Low ceiling but low floor as well. He worries me though, he got less points this past season than the previous one and in more games. If you’re playing on a powerhouse like Halifax how can you degress statistically? I see him as a future 7th dman at best but a top four ahl guy perhaps at worst. Tweener.

Also.. I mean our friend Matier MADE the WJC and also put up great numbers while being solid defensively. But he’s getting no love…

Last edited:

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Wiesblatt and Gojsic were possibly the two best newcomers at the rookie camp though? They looked good.

Kulonummi is off to a good start in Finland this year. We saw a bit of this with Nilsson, where it's easy to get foooled by a teenager with paltry stats in a men's league... Kulo had just 4 assists in 40 games last year... but has 2g/1a in the first 4games of the new season. I certainly voted for him a lot higher last year when his U20 stats were off the charts. I guess I'm still not sure where a slight/smooth-skating D who isn't a true superstar necessarily fits in the modern NHL though... put up all the points you want in Europe... where do you slot that guy in the NHL? That's kind of Fabbro? But skinnier and without the local ties?

Gustafsson is a totally different style, but I have a hunch the Nashville scouting recipe can still be trusted on D, and they picked him quite high. He has 6pts in 6games already this season in Sweden's junior league. Despite being touted as a pure defensive/shut-down guy.

I think it's totally valid to consider Kulonummi and Gustafsson. There isn't anything "hilarious" going on in these rankings at all... the really cool thing is that even down at the #15-25 spots we still have names who could emerge as legit NHLers. That's a Good Thing.
I was very impressed with Kulonummi last year in camp. He has a little Stastney to his game and I thought was one of the best D prospects on the ice last year. He is overlooked a little and could be one of those guys that shows up back in the states ready to compete after being overlooked.

Good write up on his game after his 23 season

Reactions: PREDy 4 the Cup

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

Wiesblatt also was a pretty key piece for the Ads in the playoffs last year and comes with some draft pedigree on top of it. I'm not crazy high on him but that's as good of an argument as anyone else at this point in my opinion.

Reactions: triggrman

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth

Dylan MacKinnon, D, Moncton Wildcats (Nashville Predators)​

MacKinnon joined Canada’s roster for the World Junior Summer Showcase, which was quite intriguing. Seen as more of a shutdown defender, MacKinnon can be an absolute jerk on the ice (in the most flattering way possible). He doesn’t shoot the puck often, and his playmaking skills are just fine, but he’s good at simply being a defenseman. I still would like to see him get more engaged with the puck, but you still need players who can keep the puck away from the net, and he does that quite well.

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Nice. Thanks for sharing man.

My only thing is if he can barely get a few goals and less than 20 points in juniors then how will he ever be able to be a top 4 dman potentially? I mean if he develops into a top 6 that’s a win imo anyways but always hope for more lol. Interesting they mentioned him though, he must be awfully good defensively. I’ve never seen him play.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Nice. Thanks for sharing man.

My only thing is if he can barely get a few goals and less than 20 points in juniors then how will he ever be able to be a top 4 dman potentially? I mean if he develops into a top 6 that’s a win imo anyways but always hope for more lol. Interesting they mentioned him though, he must be awfully good defensively. I’ve never seen him play.
There is still room in the NHL for shutdown dmen. Especially one with some snarl in his game. Normally they find themselves on the 3rd pair though Especially if they dont have much offense to em

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad