Speculation: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Perry is still better than anybody this organization has getting a promotion from Syracuse. He could fall off this year, but his production, style, and intangibles are all better than anybody on the fringe. Sure, he's incredibly slow, yet still very effective.

You don't get younger and faster for the sake of saying it when it doesn't translate to being better than heavier and slower. Teams need a balance. Right now, the bottom six is a band aid of both directions. We have a goon, Casper Sheary the ghost, Ace, Chaffee, and Glendening. If we are knocking Perry's speed, then move Jeannot as well because apart from fighting he is dog shit.
And even though he fights, and is good at it, he doesnt seem to bring an intimidation factor. Or a... what do you call it? Like Perry and Maroon gave the rest of the team a certain swagger. They knew when to go out and make the game emotional to get everyone else engaged. Jeannot doesnt have that kind of fire in his game. It's not really about fighting.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Look, I love the swag that Maroon and Perry drip with but the school bus was old, slow and broken down and absolutely terrible. I agree we need some snarl but we're also over here talking about not becoming Pittsburgh and then suggesting signing Perry. Don't go full Pittsburgh because Perry might have a few goals left. Dude isn't gonna make a lick of difference in the playoffs.

We need to win the Cup guys. And if we're gonna do it we have to be ruthless. If you gotta nuke Cirelli and Sergachev to make it happen then do it. They got their money and their rings and meanwhile the Cats are parading around with our property. We've exercised 10 years of the most loyalty any franchise will ever show its players and guys still walk out the door for nothing anyway. It's a business.

Win that shit

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
Goncalves and Geekie have been discussed as possible roster players for next season but what about Finley or Groshev? The former brings size and net front muscle. And what the hell is Logan Brown’s status?

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Goncalves and Geekie have been discussed as possible roster players for next season but what about Finley or Groshev? The former brings size and net front muscle. And what the hell is Logan Brown’s status?
I would love to see Jack Finley get an early season audition. If Sheary is still on the team to start the season I could see lots of opportunities for Syracuse forwards to get games. Ylonen and Goncalves are probably the offseaspn favorites for those opportunities, but, I could see any of the kids on expiring contracts getting a glance with the big club. Barring an amazing training camp I can't see the urgency to push the kids with longer contracts just yet.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Seems like many here have a soft spot for Groshev, he's certainly noticeable out there from an offensive perspective.

Logan Brown was not qualified, he's gone

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
I would love to see Jack Finley get an early season audition. If Sheary is still on the team to start the season I could see lots of opportunities for Syracuse forwards to get games. Ylonen and Goncalves are probably the offseaspn favorites for those opportunities, but, I could see any of the kids on expiring contracts getting a glance with the big club. Barring an amazing training camp I can't see the urgency to push the kids with longer contracts just yet.
The 2023-2024 Jack Finley was not the same as the 2022-2023 Jack Finley. I am not sure he ever recovered from the injuries that took him out of the lineup early in the season.

Unless he has drank from the Holy Grail and made an amazing recovery, he should spend 2024-2025 season in Syracuse. Based on his play last season, I would not even have him on the list to be considered for recall as his play last season was not even in the same time zone as the year before.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Finley missed Dev camp cause of shoulder surgery he had recently. likely will miss training camp as well.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Seems like many here have a soft spot for Groshev, he's certainly noticeable out there from an offensive perspective.

Logan Brown was not qualified, he's gone

Was there ever a chance of Brown playing or was this just some type of cap maneuver?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Was there ever a chance of Brown playing or was this just some type of cap maneuver?
The league apparently is pretty vigilant in making sure teams don't sign guys to show how work around the cap.

Brown was signed as a free agent, but went on LTIR with an undisclosed injury.

He's been injury prone in his career, so it's not totally surprising, but missing a whole season is a big deal.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
None of this stuff seems very important now. Even losing stammer is minor in relation to Viniks eventual departure

crowncarrier

My father hung me on a hook once....once.
Apr 10, 2015
Section 111
Saw the pre-sale started for tickets. Looking to come at the end of December for the home back to back games. Anyone willing to share the code. Coming from CANADA.

b0lthed

Mar 7, 2023
Really would’ve liked getting paid draft picks to acquire Cody Glass for a fringe AHLer like Pittsburgh just did. I think I’ve posted about Glass before. If he can get over his injury bug he’s got scoring line upside as a skilled power forward. Even if he can’t, he should be an above average third-liner, and he’s still young. Ahhh well …

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Look, I love the swag that Maroon and Perry drip with but the school bus was old, slow and broken down and absolutely terrible. I agree we need some snarl but we're also over here talking about not becoming Pittsburgh and then suggesting signing Perry. Don't go full Pittsburgh because Perry might have a few goals left. Dude isn't gonna make a lick of difference in the playoffs.

We need to win the Cup guys. And if we're gonna do it we have to be ruthless. If you gotta nuke Cirelli and Sergachev to make it happen then do it. They got their money and their rings and meanwhile the Cats are parading around with our property. We've exercised 10 years of the most loyalty any franchise will ever show its players and guys still walk out the door for nothing anyway. It's a business.

Win that shit
It's more about the intangibles, and establishing a certain way to play, with Corey Perry.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It's more about the intangibles, and establishing a certain way to play, with Corey Perry.

Lmao Corey Perry had 8 goals,16 points in 29 playoff games with us along with the intangibles he brings at nearly league minimum, where do you find better value then that? Just a clown take to think Perry wasn't valuable. There's a reason Tampa poached him after those series against Montreal and Dallas (where he also put up 20 points over 40~ playoff games)

Reactions: Outl4w

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Perry has also been to the finals like, 4 of the last 5 or 6 years? And a couple of those years were with teams that might not have belonged. He brings something to the table.

Reactions: Peacefool

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Perry has also been to the finals like, 4 of the last 5 or 6 years? And a couple of those years were with teams that might not have belonged. He brings something to the table.
There is some reasonable concern about the aging curve coming for him, but for the contract, it's worth the gamble.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Not sure how true the Karlsson rumor is but a package of Johnson, Killorn, Callahan, and Sergachev would have killed us

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not sure how true the Karlsson rumor is but a package of Johnson, Killorn, Callahan, and Sergachev would have killed us

That's a ton of money moving out though. We would have been signing at least one more player.

Johnson and Callahan were both kind of cooked by then. Johnson less so, but he was a looong way from the 2015 Johnson. And probably not worth his contract.

This is kind of Sergachev + Killorn + a cap dump and a semi-cap dump. And then we would have had 4 or 5 million to sign somebody.

Tough to say how durable Karlsson would have been. But considering Callahan was a pure cap dump, this isn't terrible.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
That's a ton of money moving out though. We would have been signing at least one more player.

Johnson and Callahan were both kind of cooked by then. Johnson less so, but he was a looong way from the 2015 Johnson. And probably not worth his contract.

This is kind of Sergachev + Killorn + a cap dump and a semi-cap dump. And then we would have had 4 or 5 million to sign somebody.

Tough to say how durable Karlsson would have been. But considering Callahan was a pure cap dump, this isn't terrible.
Ya I agree the big loses would have been killorn and sergy but moving Callahan and Johnson we would have been able to sign karlsson to an extension and sign a top six forward to replace killorn easily in free agency.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah. I mean, we aren't talking about a 4m player here (anywhere but chicago).

It's not like they thought he was a 4M player, they saw what he brings and were willing to overpay to have that so they offered him a contract they knew no one else was going to top.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's not like they thought he was a 4M player, they saw what he brings and were willing to overpay to have that so they offered him a contract they knew no one else was going to top.
For sure. I think they also planned to move him to a contender at the deadline. Not a bad plan really. And a good way for vets to cash in on the way out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad