Speculation: 2024 Off-Season Thread

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
All the doom and gloom here only for every other team to get spanked by Florida as well. Edmonton is in the finals and i’m not at all convinced they are better than us
In theory the Stanley cup winning team should beat every other team, so that's not saying much. What matters is we weren't really in the series against FL. It'd be another thing if we took them to 6 or 7 games, but it was over in 3 after they went up 3-0.

The doom and gloom comes from the holes on our roster, the age and recent performance of some core players, our cap situation and our GM's moves the last couple of years, the most recent being the oops I should have kept McD trade.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
All the doom and gloom here only for every other team to get spanked by Florida as well. Edmonton is in the finals and i’m not at all convinced they are better than us

Kind of gloom and doom of you to point out how Florida is spanking every team yet they remain in our division, should we just give up and rebuild now then?

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Kind of gloom and doom of you to point out how Florida is spanking every team yet they remain in our division, should we just give up and rebuild now then?
avoid them in the first round and the leafs will take care of them. I believe

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This Florida team would mail the Leafs even worse than last time.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Eyssimont can be a bit streaky but I thought he had a damn good year, and I'm expecting a strong upcoming season being a UFA in 2025. He didn't seem like the same player after his hit on Jensen imo, granted that's a small sample size. I wonder if that caused some hesitancy in his game. But it's tough to play that style for a full season without getting worn down.

Could use a little more pizzazz in the bottom 6. Sheary-Ok, if he's still on the roster by fall then he deserves a chance to bounce back. You dont sign 3 year deals to give up on a player after his first. But the attempt to sign Josh Archibald last off-season seemed like a redundant and unnecessary move, then JBB followed it up with Motte who is the classic replacement level player. Not bad, killed penalties, tries hard but what does he really bring. No X factor to his game, and despite being willing to throw the body a bit, shies away from altercation. I liked the Watson PTO at the time, but that didn't pan out.

You look at teams that go deep and they need battle tested players who can work through punishment, I think TB could use 1 or 2 more in that category.
Essymont is a good contract this year. Solid bottom 6.player with some edge to his Game, speed , has a nice shot , and is really streaky and sneaky at scoring. He is like Gourde light.

Reactions: Peacefool

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A lot of our bottom six was ok or good, but maybe playing slightly over their heads in terms of role. We are used to having pretty big impact players on the third line, or at least as middle Sixers. Now a lot of our third liners would probably make great fourth liners.

Reactions: Rschmitz and OffBy1

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I wouldn’t say any of them were “good”. They might’ve been OK defensively at times, but offensively they all generated extremely little
They're too vanilla. There's zero creativity. Glendening and Motte play the same style. Eyssimont does a dipsy doodle to the outside and holds it for them or tries a wrap around. At least Perry and Maroon were physical and good enough to create something out of perimeter play.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
I'll be honest I didn't watch much of the Islanders or Capitals in round 1 because I didn't feel like gouging my eyes out but outside of them I wouldn't be surprised if we had the worst bottom 6 of all playoff teams.

Reactions: OffBy1

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Armchair GM glasses on: who would be in favor of shipping out Sergy, get a haul in retour and replace him with Chychrun?
Chychrun should cost less than what we would receive from the Serg trade (so we'd gain some assets in the swap) and could ideally be signed for ~1.5M less than Sergy

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Armchair GM glasses on: who would be in favor of shipping out Sergy, get a haul in retour and replace him with Chychrun?
Chychrun should cost less than what we would receive from the Serg trade (so we'd gain some assets in the swap) and could ideally be signed for ~1.5M less than Sergy

That's a lot of work for such little payoff and still puts us in a hole of too much $$ down the left...

You replace Sergachev with an appropriate 3LD not another 6M+ one. I would rather target cost effective forwards or a top 4 RHD, that makes the most sense for the team.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Duclair would be wise to sign a deal with an AAV in the 3s. On our top line for a full season he’d set a career high in points.

Duclair-Point-Kucherov
Hagel-Stamkos-Quinn*
Amadio-Paul-Eyssimont
Chaffee-Glendening-Koepke
Watson

* Trade Cirelli for Jack Quinn and a pick. Use trades of Jeannot and Perbix to get rid of Sheary
Koepke is an unrestricted free agent. Can't help wondering if another team with more cap space makes him an offer.

RLP55

Jul 13, 2022
Don’t post much. This won’t be popular with the villagers. Get your pitch folks and torches ready.

Been a Bolt fan since day one. I miss Bellows, the Bulin Wall, St Louis, Lecavalier, and will miss Stamkos.

Respect the sports franchises that adhere to the philosophy of losing/moving a player too ‘early’ versus too late. Stamkos has maybe a 2 year window. And still the 5v5 issue. Then what, he’ll still be a cap burden for years to come.

Stamkos is without a doubt a HOF, on top of Tampa Sports Mt Rushmore. Let’s move on.

The team needs cap space and new blood. Other than Kuch, Vasi, & now McD, JBB needs to reshape the roster. That does include Hedman. ( based on a solid return inbound ). The man has a lot of wear and tear because of heavy minutes and having to babysit line mates. Again, early before late.

I don’t have a list of what players to bring in to replace out going players, too lazy to do the research. Will leave that to the more knowledgeable posters.

Not calling for a complete overall of the roster. Existing players need to step up a level. Perbix, Raddysh & Lilliberg come to mind on D. Low cost a plus. Thought Merela had it him to be a 3rd line contributor. “I’ll miss him” JK Again I’ll leave it up the forum to fill in the holes of the losses a Stamkos or whoever create.

Do not want to go through what we we experienced the past 2 seasons. It will only continue to deteriorate. The league is getting younger and faster.

Lower the drawbridge and let the villagers in.

Reactions: Crunchrulz

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
With the news that Winnipeg is shopping Rutger McGroarty due to his "Family Advisor" not wanting to talk to the Jets, they have a glaring need of a RHD to slot behind Pionk. Maybe a deal with Cernak for McGroarty could be on the table at the draft. would add a top 6 winger prospect that plays in all situations and would look really good next to either Stamkos or Cirelli

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
With the news that Winnipeg is shopping Rutger McGroarty due to his "Family Advisor" not wanting to talk to the Jets, they have a glaring need of a RHD to slot behind Pionk. Maybe a deal with Cernak for McGroarty could be on the table at the draft. would add a top 6 winger prospect that plays in all situations and would look really good next to either Stamkos or Cirelli

I love him as a player but not for Cernak. Our RHD depth scares the hell out of me. He goes to Winnipeg and we're basically at Raddysh vs the world

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad