Speculation: 2024 Off-Season Thread

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
One bad decision after the next if that's the case. There is almost no way to actually improve this team if Sheary and Jeannot remain on the roster.

One angle that's not discussed a lot is a GM's ego. Is every move REALLY what's best for the franchise, or are some moves made or not made because a GM refuses to acknowledge they made a mistake? If we move on from Jeannot it's an admission from JBB that he blew that trade, or Sheary a bad signing.

I bet this is more of a factor in roster building/shaping than we think. I'm not necessarily accusing JBB of anything, yet, but many of his recent decisions have not been good ones and how he handles things going forward will tell me a lot.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
One angle that's not discussed a lot is a GM's ego. Is every move REALLY what's best for the franchise, or are some moves made or not made because a GM refuses to acknowledge they made a mistake? If we move on from Jeannot it's an admission from JBB that he blew that trade, or Sheary a bad signing.

I bet this is more of a factor in roster building/shaping than we think. I'm not necessarily accusing JBB of anything, yet, but many of his recent decisions have not been good ones and how he handles things going forward will tell me a lot.
Yes if he moved on from jeannot and sheary that will tell me he owns his mistakes and will try to correct them if he keeps them both then that tells me he’s hard headed and has a big ego.

Reactions: flying squirrel

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Not one Stamkos contract negotiation has ever gone smoothly for once it would be nice if this just could get done in 2-3 weeks

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Death, taxes and a long drawn out Stamkos contract negotiation! Is this new port sports or the Tampa Bay Lightning with him ? Seems to be a hard negotiation every time with him while point, Kucherov and Hedman contracts tend to go smoothly

NJBolt

May 1, 2024
JBB could also waive Sheary and Jeannot and bury the majority of their contracts in Syracuse after they pass thru waivers. Was what he did with Myers.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019

Yep, GM behavior at times is enough to at least have that discussion. Nothing shocks me concerning motivating factors, to why someone does this or that, these days. JBB has made really good moves, and some bad moves, but bargain-bin shopping isn't easy. Especially when outside forces limit which shopping-isle one can shop-down (NHL team willingness to trade, sellers knowing one is desperate for item, etc.)

Saying all that, I could see GM letting pride guide moves
  • JBB not willing to admit mistakes is possible, like others mentioned (Hope not, everyone makes mistakes, ones learns from that mistake and moves on)
  • JBB wanting Lightning to be "His Lightning Team", Yzerman cast a long-GM-shadow.
  • JBB might want new Lightning roster to be mostly his footprints after hearing,.... "Yeah, JBB made few a great moves that got Lightning over "Cup" hump,, but he took over gem of a roster".
  • Way JBB signs trade-deadline players to long-terms, and way he's disrespected players since McD situation. That's not a great look or vibe. We've always been proud of Lightning's organization treatment of players, but that's been stained with GM's treatment of McD, Palat, Kilorn, Stamkos. Also understand negotiations tactics, that are used to get best deal, but with how these players have been treated. That is not what happened.
  • We understand tough flat-cap situation Lightning were put under, and know tough decisions have/had to be made, but that doesn't mean one has to treat loyal players like dog. Just because they've become costly under such a flattened cap. That's # 1 BS stuff!!!
  • Hope it's just tough flat-cap situation, and GM is coming from good place, while trying to prevent Lightning from dropping off playoff map.
  • But...... Humans + Money = Anything is possible.

Last edited:

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
sheary shouldn’t be that hard to get rid of since his cap hit is so low. will probably cost like a 4th round pick

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
How do we even know it comes from Blashill? Seems like he runs the Dmen, but the system would come from Cooper.
Blashill took over the defensive side of the team and its been reported he took over structures and defensive game plans (moving to the zone defense from man). LaLonde focused on that when he was on the Lightning staff. Reportedly the system was changed based on the size of the roster which got smaller and maybe it's simply growing pains in adapting, but it didn't look like it improved tremendously during second half of the season or playoff stint except Vasilevskiy started returning to form. Blashill also didn't have the best track record in Detroit and defense was his focus as well both at NHL level and at Grand Rapids - what defenseman has Detroit really developed out of that system when he was running things? Why didn’t Detroit improve defensively year to year under him yet still remained closer to bottom of the league in team defense.

The whole team has struggled to adapt and maybe they'll have it down better starting next season. At least Vasilevskiy won't be dealing with his injury/back surgery and can help bail out the defensive lapses so it will mask it more (hopefully). I don’t know, but it doesn't inspire confidence, particularly with the "depth" we have due to cap crunch. And can definitely help explain Perbix's step backwards in his "sophomore" slump - maybe he gets more comfortable with the new system and takes steps forward, or maybe it was Perbix just hitting a wall regardless of system (and it's more he was playing above his expected level last year).

The poor defensive play of the team coincided with the changes although of course that has to do with roster makeup as well (and Vasilevskiy recovering).

But it wasn’t fun to watch, and Blashill was shown the door in Detroit for a reason (although being given plenty of time to fix things).

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I haven't listened to it myself yet but according to someone else who has, Halpern on the Block Party podcast said it’s a collaboration and each coach has input on the team. But Zettler is primarily in charge of the defensive zone, Blashill has the neutral zone and the puck movement through the zone and Halpern runs the offensive zone. Zettler and Blashill handle the pk and Halpern is in charge of the power play.

I'll drop the link:

Reactions: Felonious Python

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I haven't listened to it myself yet but according to someone else who has, Halpern on the Block Party podcast said it’s a collaboration and each coach has input on the team. But Zettler is primarily in charge of the defensive zone, Blashill has the neutral zone and the puck movement through the zone and Halpern runs the offensive zone. Zettler and Blashill handle the pk and Halpern is in charge of the power play.

I'll drop the link:

I'm looking for an easy answer. Could you post something else that would confirm what I already believe?

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
JBB said Sheary had a hand injury says he thinks he will rebound next season so sadly he intends to bring him back
I was angry when they announced Sheary, cause it was obvious it would not work out. If Sheary is still here eating up a roster spot next season after being totally useless for an entire season, I'll be mad and will start questioning JBB's method.
Get rid of Sheary as soon as possible, period.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

I'll drop the link:

So the two spots where the defense sucks the most, in the neutral zone and our zone is Blashill and Zettler's fault. I am good with that.

Reactions: ThunderRoad

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Got to get rid of Blashill and his new defensive scheme that went oh so well.
I wonder why none of the journalists ever ask these kind of questions to Cooper. Like "the coaching staff said at the beginning of the season that it changed its approach to the defensive system. Now that the season is over, what are your takeaways on the current system compared to the previous one.

And why did this system suck ass."

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I think there's an argument that Jack Adams should go to the best coaching staff, but Coop is the head coach. If there's an area our performances are regularly lacking, it's not happening in a silo. It's happening under Coop.

I've suggested before that the coaches' association take over the Jack Adams voting, but they could create their own award for best overall staff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad