Speculation: 2024 Off-season Team Discussion

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I don't know what to make of these Marner rumors...but I'm starting to think the interest is real. It would be interesting. I don't think that Keller would be going back the other way though. This will probably not be a popular proposal but what if BA does something like Marner for Schmaltz + Doan + a 1st...maybe a little sweetener if necessary like a 3rd. Shane is in the TOR organization. You have Auston Matthews, OEL, Knies, Nylander and Shane Doan...all have AZ ties and ties to Doan and Schmaltz in some way. Kind of intriguing.

Keller - Bjugstad - Marner
Crouse - Cooley - Guenther
Maccelli - Hayton - Stenlund
Carcone/LOB - McBain - Kerfoot
Want nothing to do with Marners next contract. It will be massive.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
They did. He’d still has to accept. I think the plan is to still trade him and recover some sort of value. He deserves more time in the NHL than he has received.
He was hurt for part of last year, but my point was, a kid his age should be negotiating for a pretty good contract, not thinking about accepting his QO or not. Hayton and Kotkaniemi both big disappointments. I really don't see a point in trading him at this point as he is worth very little and he is probably worth more to Utah because of our sad sack C situation.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Paying premium value is just rebuild rushing. Just stay on the course please, GMBA is cooking
If the trade involves Schmaltz I don't think I would look at it as rushing, but I don't see it happening. Marner's new contract is going to be massive. Is he worth it? We need something that resembles a C to play with him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We’re not touching Marner. Not at all a BA player.
Why is that? Would Marner be considered a top 20 player in the league? I think most GM's would be interested, but what you have to give up would be a stumbling block, along with cap space for his new contract. Make no mistake, BA would jump at the chance for Marner depending on TO's ask.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Mosby

Clean Hits Hockey
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
cleanhits.substack.com
If Toronto doesn't want Marner because he's gutless, there is no way BA wants him.

As well, Marner's next contract is around $12 million. If he's making 12, what are Keller, Guenther, and Cooley asking for on their next deals?

Re: Hayton, don't forget he had 43 points in 82 games the year before. He just turned 24. He really just needs some luck. Last year was so many posts and freak injuries.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think BA would want Marner on the current roster. However if the rumors about Keller wanting out after the Utah move are true and he's the one going the other way, I can see it happening. I'd hate it though.
Why? Keller is a 080PPG player, Marner is 1.10PPG. Marner is older, plays with better players and Marners new deal will be much larger than Kellers. All things being equal Marner is the better player, but when you add in age, contract etc. I'm not sure I would do a trade with TO if Keller is the player they want.

Reactions: DustyDangler

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Why? Keller is a 080PPG player, Marner is 1.10PPG. Marner is older, plays with better players and Marners new deal will be much larger than Kellers. All things being equal Marner is the better player, but when you add in age, contract etc. I'm not sure I would do a trade with TO if Keller is the player they want.
Exactly. As I said I wouldn't like it at all but I could see it being a framework for a trade if Keller wants out and TO want to shake up their core.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I've been hearing they're gonna re-sign him...also they have no interest in re-signing him and want to trade him but he isn't cooperating with the NTC...and that VGK and Utah are both heavily interested and negotiating behind the scenes....it's all a bunch of conflicting information, I have no idea what to make of it. I'm starting to believe that the rumors are real because of all of the "debunking" effort going on, as well as the fact that it feels like TOR has to make a major change and shakeup to their group to take the next step...
IMHO, they've made the changes they need to make. Woll + Stolarz is a stable pairing and 6'6" .925 Stolarz is right in that ready to take the next step range. Tanev 6 year deal will be a regret in like 3 years but for now...nice. OEL + Hakanpaa gives some veteran experience and is a playoff heavy 3rd pairing. If I am Toronto, I extend Marner, let the Tavares contract end naturally and use his cap to fill in gaps in 25-26.

Reactions: Jakey53

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Agreed. Keller is our Marner and costs around $15,000 more per point less. I think that gap will widen even further as Keller is about to pop off as he enters his peak years and with the Sergachev add particularly, and with the improved roster generally. We are now benefitting from one of the few, good, Chayka moves as having Keller locked in at $7 for another 4 years is beautiful. In a Keller for Marner swap, the UHC loses.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Come on. We don’t trade prospects and picks for a 100 point player. So fool hardy. We don’t want a 100 point player for another 2 years. We don’t have near enough prospects and picks to take the hit.

I jest. Of course you trade for Marner if you can avoid losing core players. The opportunity to lock down a superior player like Marner doesn’t happen often. If it presents a year before the start of a playoff run, well, you run with it.

Looking at the roster, our top 6 w Marner, Guenther, Iginla, Cooley and Keller could be spectacular. The D will very good w the Russians and Marino.

We need a goalie, but that’s not something we would spend a 1 st on.

I would trade next year’s 1st plus for Marner, easily.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Why is that? Would Marner be considered a top 20 player in the league? I think most GM's would be interested, but what you have to give up would be a stumbling block, along with cap space for his new contract. Make no mistake, BA would jump at the chance for Marner depending on TO's ask.
Cost of acquisition PLUS a crippling contract to keep him.

Sure, it depends on TO's ask but it is not going to be a cap dump as had been speculated/hoped for by some on HF. They likely want a top player(s) and top futures.

If the deal is Schmaltz and Hayton and Marner signs a playoff bonus heavy contract sure (not sure that contract is actually allowed).

If the cost is Keller + Lamoureux and Marner wants a 5 year $70 million extension then I would pass.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Come on. We don’t trade prospects and picks for a 100 point player. So fool hardy. We don’t want a 100 point player for another 2 years. We don’t have near enough prospects and picks to take the hit.

I jest. Of course you trade for Marner if you can avoid losing core players. The opportunity to lock down a superior player like Marner doesn’t happen often. If it presents a year before the start of a playoff run, well, you run with it.

Looking at the roster, our top 6 w Marner, Guenther, Iginla, Cooley and Keller could be spectacular. The D will very good w the Russians and Marino.

We need a goalie, but that’s not something we would spend a 1 st on.

I would trade next year’s 1st plus for Marner, easily.
I don’t even care about the acquisition price. I just don’t want to pay Marner what Marner is going to get paid. That’s not the foundational piece I want to build the team around.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don’t even care about the acquisition price. I just don’t want to pay Marner what Marner is going to get paid. That’s not the foundational piece I want to build the team around.
So you want a 100 point player on the cheap? You have a rich owner. Front load the contract so there’s more space when the home grown talent want their money.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I don't know what to make of these Marner rumors...but I'm starting to think the interest is real. It would be interesting. I don't think that Keller would be going back the other way though. This will probably not be a popular proposal but what if BA does something like Marner for Schmaltz + Doan + a 1st...maybe a little sweetener if necessary like a 3rd. Shane is in the TOR organization. You have Auston Matthews, OEL, Knies, Nylander and Shane Doan...all have AZ ties and ties to Doan and Schmaltz in some way. Kind of intriguing.

Keller - Bjugstad - Marner
Crouse - Cooley - Guenther
Maccelli - Hayton - Stenlund
Carcone/LOB - McBain - Kerfoot
Just drafted Iginla. Cant see Doan being available even for Marner.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
there is zero chance that Shane Doan is going to trade for his kid. The media uproar would be ridiculous.
Perhaps, but BA is under no pressure to keep little Doan now. Remember, outside of AZ, Shane has the rep of a good player w great character, but certainly not a legend. No fan pressure in SLC to keep Josh

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Perhaps, but BA is under no pressure to keep little Doan now. Remember, outside of AZ, Shane has the rep of a good player w great character, but certainly not a legend. No fan pressure in SLC to keep Josh
BA was never under any pressure to draft Josh. They did so because that is where he fell on their list. That's it. They were criticized for it as well. Can he be traded at some point? Absolutely. It just won't be to Toronto.

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad