Patriots/NFL 2024 Off Season: Free Agency, Draft Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The hate Zappe gets isn't because of his ability. He's perfectly adequate as a QB2, and like someone said, he's a 4th round QB who's contributed, that's more than most QBs taken there

My personal annoyance with his stems from the attitude. He thinks he should start, he thinks he's the answer. It started during training camp last year, and that attitude contributed to an absolutely toxic QB room with Mac being a pouty baby last year too.

There's being confident, and then there's being a douche. He's the latter.
He hasn't done anything of the sort since Maye was drafted anyway. Not a peep, no issues in camp or anything in the media. Him thinking he could play over turnover puddle Mac Jones? I have no problem with that. In general though I would expect any QB in his position to compete his ass off and try to show you're further along than other QBs on the team. Brian Hoyer made a nice living as a scrub QB hanging on to an NFL career.

If they keep him I will shrug my shoulders and say ok. If they cut him I will do the same. His status doesn't warrant the strong reaction it gets.

Last edited:

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Zappe's ceiling is late career Brian Hoyer. In reality, he might not make an NFL roster if Pats cut him. He is just taking leftover shrapnel from fans annoyance of having watched a historically inept offense with two of the weakest armed QBs in the league. If he was backing up during the Brady years instead of Hoyer, he'd be seen positively.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Zappe's ceiling is late career Brian Hoyer. In reality, he might not make an NFL roster if Pats cut him. He is just taking leftover shrapnel from fans annoyance of having watched a historically inept offense with two of the weakest armed QBs in the league. If he was backing up during the Brady years instead of Hoyer, he'd be seen positively.
Ppl forget they released him last year and nobody wanted him

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Ppl forget they released him last year and nobody wanted him
I'm not sure who forgets that but he's back on the team and has been for a while.

I heard Breer talk about this how once you have a guy up and running in your system you're not gonna throw away all that work to then pick up someone like Zappe. It's probably the same reason they have kept Zappe instead of going after some other scrub QB. In the end none of it really matters. Whether Zappe is QB2, QB3 or cut is completely inconsequential to the future success of the franchise. To me he has shown enough to warrant being on a roster though. Jacksonville could use an upgrade at QB2!

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
He was better than Mac (any breathing QB was) but you're also mistaken on "most see him as a fringe QB2". No, that's not how most fans look at him. If that's how most viewed him I wouldn't have an issue. It's just the utter disdain of seeing him play or hearing his name from most people that is absurd and entirely over the top. Fans that want to crown Joe Milton, a guy who has let talent evaluators down his entire collegiate career.

It's ironic that you find it absurd that people have utter disdain for Zappe......and yet you have an utter disdain for Jones, which is apparent from the comments you make about him.

A quick look at last years numbers and Zappe was not better than Jones. Jones threw for more yards per game, had a better completion%, took less sacks and had a better int%. Zappe had a nearly identical TD% but that's it.

No one is crowning Milton anything. People have just pointed out that he looked better than Zappe.....which he did.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
I'm not sure who forgets that but he's back on the team and has been for a while.

I heard Breer talk about this how once you have a guy up and running in your system you're not gonna throw away all that work to then pick up someone like Zappe. It's probably the same reason they have kept Zappe instead of going after some other scrub QB. In the end none of it really matters. Whether Zappe is QB2, QB3 or cut is completely inconsequential to the future success of the franchise. To me he has shown enough to warrant being on a roster though. Jacksonville could use an upgrade at QB2!

U do think people disliking Zappe is unwarranted yet you shit on people who show the least excitement for Milton. Kinda weird

And they did try to replace Zappe. Matt Corral or whatever and wasnt there another QB in the merry go round?

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
It's ironic that you find it absurd that people have utter disdain for Zappe......and yet you have an utter disdain for Jones, which is apparent from the comments you make about him.

A quick look at last years numbers and Zappe was not better than Jones. Jones threw for more yards per game, had a better completion%, took less sacks and had a better int%. Zappe had a nearly identical TD% but that's it.

No one is crowning Milton anything. People have just pointed out that he looked better than Zappe.....which he did.
There's quite a difference between shitting on a 1st round puddle of a QB with an attitude problem vs. a 4th round projected backup thrust into starting role because the guy who got all the first team reps sucked ass. Sorry.

As for Joe Milton, yes he had a couple flashy plays. That's exactly who Joe Milton has been. I'm just not getting carried away. I don't have anything against Milton. I hope he works his ass off, gets better and turns into an asset.

And they did try to replace Zappe. Matt Corral or whatever and wasnt there another QB in the merry go round?
I'm not sure what your point is here. Does Matt Corral even play football anymore?

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017

Zappes value is that he can be waived and brought back and he presumably already knows this new system. A scrub QB with stronger arm still needs to learn the plays and likely cant step in as quickly if you are in emergency situation. Maybe he gets to the practice squad.

Reactions: Johnnyduke

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
There's quite a difference between shitting on a 1st round puddle of a QB with an attitude problem vs. a 4th round projected backup thrust into starting role because the guy who got all the first team reps sucked ass. Sorry.

As for Joe Milton, yes he had a couple flashy plays. That's exactly who Joe Milton has been. I'm just not getting carried away. I don't have anything against Milton. I hope he works his ass off, gets better and turns into an asset.

I'm not sure what your point is here. Does Matt Corral even play football anymore?
The odds are Joe Milton is out of the league in three years. People who have watched Milton a lot seem to think he will never get it.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

There really isn't a difference. You're mad that people are talking about Zappe the same way you talk about Mac Jones. If Zappe had played like Milton did vs CAR, you'd be telling everyone that he should be the week 1 starter.

No one on this board is getting carried away with Milton. We've acknowledged he looked good and looked better than Zappe (which he did). That's the extent of it. We know what he is right now, He's a project QB that has all the physical tools you want in your signal caller. Milton simply has more upside than Zappe does because he's a bit of an unknown the NFL level.

The odds of either Milton or Zappe getting action this season is slim to none.

Reactions: CDJ

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Jones likewise was in a rather poor situation as well but plenty of fans despise him.
Ok but one guy was a 1st round pick, expected franchise QB. The other was a 4th round backup at best. Mac also had WAY more attitude related "incidents" whether in practice, showing up coaches in games, leaks in media about his displeasure. I just don't think it's comparable.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
If Zappe had played like Milton did vs CAR, you'd be telling everyone that he should be the week 1 starter.
Now this is funny. Zappe himself was fine in the game and I have no conclusions from the meaningless preseason game. I leave that to the Bazooka Joe Milton crew.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton

Yes Coral just won a championship in the UFL or something.

Point must have went over your head

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
A quick couple of things. They weren't necessarily booing Zappe, even though that asshat deserves to be booed. They were booing Maye getting 3 seconds of time before being sat. So the narrative that they were doing that to a scrub is false.

Secondly, this team is still woefully devoid of playmakers. That's all on Bill because he f***ed up in his GM role to a monumental level. He was just a complete clown by the end here. Grasping at straws and reaching for what have turned out to be really shitty players.

I tried to tell you all years ago, but all I got was labeled as ungrateful and a hater. In reality Bill won't get another sniff in this league because he wasn't the coach and GM everyone believed he was. In fact, he's bad at both jobs.
I can sum up this astute post in two words.

They suck.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Ok but one guy was a 1st round pick, expected franchise QB. The other was a 4th round backup at best. Mac also had WAY more attitude related "incidents" whether in practice, showing up coaches in games, leaks in media about his displeasure. I just don't think it's comparable.

Both guys were throwing jabs at each other, some subtle, some not so subtle. They both had equal blame for a poor and unproductive QB room. The fans had their part in this too, with the silly Zappe mania that was short lived because of the poor play of Jones/team and turned into divisiveness on the field and off the field for players and fans alike. At least I feel I could understand Jones' attitude - the guy had legit talent coming out of the draft and had a solid 1st year but poor decisions torpoeded the early stages of his continued development and crushed his confidence. They surrounded him with bums and got a predictable result. With Zappe, I just don't see the talent matching the attitude.

Reactions: CDJ and Mione134

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Now this is funny. Zappe himself was fine in the game and I have no conclusions from the meaningless preseason game. I leave that to the Bazooka Joe Milton crew.

Zappe looked average against 2nd & 3rd string players.

We could keep going back and fourth but lets be honest, it's not going to lead anywhere. You clearly have a passion for Zappe and seem pissed that no one else is as hyped about him as you.

On the flip side, I don't care for Zappe because he's not any better than Jones. He got a shot as the starter last year and didn't show he can elevate the team.

I'm not going to change your mind and you sure as hell won't change mine. Let's go our separate ways on this one

:cheers:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
We could keep going back and fourth but lets be honest, it's not going to lead anywhere. You clearly have a passion for Zappe and seem pissed that no one else is as hyped about him as you.
There is no "passion" for Bailey Zappe. None. Does not exist. It's simply pointing out the hate he gets is absurd. That doesn't mean I am heaping praise on him either. I already said that if they were to cut Zappe and keep Joe Milton I will shrug my shoulders with indifference and get on with my life without a 2nd thought.

And soon Zappe the one youd take a bullet for will join him soooooo yeah

And again u missed my whole point

Sit Mama Zappe
Your point was that they released him...yet the scrub Corral that people on here were geeked about upside is not even in the NFL and the Patriots then re-signed Zappe.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think Jacoby might seriously struggle and we'll be scared to throw Maye to the wolves.

I wonder if Zappe and Milton both get PS offers. Zappe is better than most #3s across the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad