Patriots/NFL 2024 Off Season: Free Agency, Draft Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
I’d be happy to be wrong, but I think if Aiyuk had any interest in being here, the deal would already be done. He wants PIT and he’s willing to wait SF out to make it happen.
He may but I honestly don't see the attraction there. Their QB situation is no better. Russell Wilson is close to done and I think we all saw how the league feels about Justin Fields when he was traded for nothing. Maybe players view things differently, but I don't see that team contending anytime soon in that division.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I’d be happy to be wrong, but I think if Aiyuk had any interest in being here, the deal would already be done. He wants PIT and he’s willing to wait SF out to make it happen.
Why is Pittsburgh so appealing? They don't have a QB either and are a middling team. Or did you mean Cleveland.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
He may but I honestly don't see the attraction there. Their QB situation is no better. Russell Wilson is close to done and I think we all saw how the league feels about Justin Fields when he was traded for nothing. Maybe players view things differently, but I don't see that team contending anytime soon in that division.

If I’ve learned anything in my years of sports fandom, it’s that players feel significantly different than fans do. There’s an irrational confidence necessary for these guys to get to where they are. I think a lot of players still rate Fields highly, and there may not be a coach in the league that players would rather play for than Tomlin.

Reactions: sarge88

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
If I’ve learned anything in my years of sports fandom, it’s that players feel significantly different than fans do. There’s an irrational confidence necessary for these guys to get to where they are. I think a lot of players still rate Fields highly, and there may not be a coach in the league that players would rather play for than Tomlin.
Maybe but Aiyuk doesn't seem to fit that mold. It sounds like it's all about the contract and not necessarily a coach or QB he wants to play with.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Lucky for us the Steelers won't pay him. Otherwise I agree although Fields isn't the starter and only has a year left on his contract right?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Even up to the end of last season there were Bears players who wanted the team to keep rolling with Fields. So, maybe the players allow too much of Fields the person to override their assessments of him as a QB. Who knows.

But, SF really missed the boat here. They obviously prioritized CMC which they should, as now that Trent wants his contract redone, as he has no more guarantees left, they are in tough with trying to hold Aiyuk at his 5th year option. Should have made the move earlier at the draft. Down to Deebo and Jennings as their 2 top WR. Rookie Pearsall is hurt to start camp and the depth chart is all youngsters with next to no NFL experience, save for Chris Conley, formerly of the Chiefs. They will be fine for most of the season without Aiyuk, but probably have to go shopping for a WR come the TDL if one of the kids doesn't step up.

Reactions: KOZ37

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Bourne is a serviceable no 3 coming off an injury. I don’t know why so many fans are hung up on Bourne being in this deal. Seems like a nice guy but he will never be WR1 and I don’t think he should be WR2.

Agreed. We've spent the past couple seasons complaining about having no talent at WR and now all of a sudden people cant part with a 40 rec/400 yd/ 1-3 TD guy to get an elite WR?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Keep Bourne and offer Judon + Thornton and a pick.
Feels like SF either needs draft picks which they can then move at the deadline to acquire another WR or they add someone who fills a need at another spot. SF budgeted $14 mill for the Aiyuk roster spot. Probably want to keep some of that cap room for a TDL acquisition.

Reactions: bbfan419

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Even up to the end of last season there were Bears players who wanted the team to keep rolling with Fields. So, maybe the players allow too much of Fields the person to override their assessments of him as a QB. Who knows.

But, SF really missed the boat here. They obviously prioritized CMC which they should, as now that Trent wants his contract redone, as he has no more guarantees left, they are in tough with trying to hold Aiyuk at his 5th year option. Should have made the move earlier at the draft. Down to Deebo and Jennings as their 2 top WR. Rookie Pearsall is hurt to start camp and the depth chart is all youngsters with next to no NFL experience, save for Chris Conley, formerly of the Chiefs. They will be fine for most of the season without Aiyuk, but probably have to go shopping for a WR come the TDL if one of the kids doesn't step up.
They also have to sign Purdy after the season as well..

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They also have to sign Purdy after the season as well..
Purdy, despite having another year after this one, would likely on the advice of his agent, not show up to camp or do the Hold In. And you want the QB there. Don't recall if fines are a flat rate or a % of your contract. Would be minimal to Purdy if it's based on his contract as any extension he'd sign would easily cover any fines.

Reactions: KOZ37

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Expecting Patriots

Teams on way up great young coach who’s as respected as anyone in the league

Cleveland a shit hole (the music HOF doesn’t have Dionne Warwick or the Turtles - F them and their city)

Boston is winnerville

Let’s go Aiyuk

You have a rep as a smart guy - Mayo over a washed sexual predator in Deshawn Watson

Let’s go

Bourne 2 in 25 & 3 in 26

Smitty love yeh but you’re like 22 years old

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Expecting Patriots

Teams on way up great young coach who’s as respected as anyone in the league

Cleveland a shit hole (the music HOF doesn’t have Dionne Warwick or the Turtles - F them and their city)

Boston is winnerville

Let’s go Aiyuk

You have a rep as a smart guy - Mayo over a washed sexual predator in Deshawn Watson

Let’s go

Bourne 2 in 25 & 3 in 26

Smitty love yeh but you’re like 22 years old

Pretty Rickey wins again

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Here’s the thing with trade leaks/rumors. If something’s out there, it’s because one of the sides wants it out there. Why is a leak that only Cleveland and New England have met the asking price released? It’s not to push Aiyuk to negotiate with one of them (that could be kept in-house). It’s to convince another team to up their offer. And now we see PIT re-engaged.

Reactions: EverettMike

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Neither does NE...

....and Pittsburgh has Mike Tomlin.
I’m good with Mayo

And the patriots have third OA

Mayo is going to be outstanding- he will be NFL Coach of year by 4th season

My Lock

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
So pats and browns had deals in place with the 49ers, but couldn’t come to terms contractually with Aiyuk.

Kraft being too cheap again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad