GDT: 2024 NHL Sharks Lottery Draft (update: We won! Sharks will pick 1st for the first time ever!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I assume this is sarcasm/believe you don't think it's rigged, but any doubt about the legitimacy of the Lottery should be gone after seeing the video + Sheng and Wyshynski being there live/reporting on it followed by the Sharks winning the next 2 lottery draws for #2. Without video, sure they could rig it I guess but I went from 99.99% not rigged to 99.99999999999% going forward

No, I don’t believe it’s rigged at all, i was just having a little fun.

A player like Bedard helps you win scoring titles. A player like Celebrini helps you win Cups.

What’s funny is Celebrini seems like the kind of player Grier Weird Science’d (I’m dating myself…). He’s got every trait that Grier has ever wanted — hard to play against, leader, 200 foot game, insane compete… he’s Grier’s absolute dream.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Rick Celebrini or Steph or Draymond(he would love to) makes the announcement of the Sharks' pick.

Sharks play a Christmas game at Chase Center.

These need to happen.

Ooooooohhh, a regular season game at Chase Center? On Christmas day?! That sounds amazing, provided the Warriors are off, they've been getting many Christmas day games over the years. I would want many of the Warriors players at such a game. And you want to bring in as many people whose #1 team is the Warriors to this game. I want Steve Kerr in the locker room pre game, maybe he reads out the starting lineup to the team. And you do this in the next couple of seasons because the Sharks home game attendance isn't good, so you won't have too many complaints about a home game shifted up north. (like when the Warriors would play regular season games at the Tank back in 00's and maybe 90's)

I'll say this right now, I think I would want a Christmas regular season game at Chase over a January 1 Winter Classic (even as the road team). And I never thought I'd prefer a non-Winter Classic gimmick game over a Jan 1 Winter Classic, but this is just too good. I would likely fly in for such a game, even though I refused to come in for the 2015 Consolation Classic game at Levi's.

Last edited:

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I’m not sure if it’s about the winning the first overall but I’m feeling better that we’re getting Celebrini than Bedard. I am thinking Macklin will have a longer more consistent career. More beneficial in the long run.

This can be a bonanza!! To quote Hoe Starkey, for those who remember.
Not sure if I'd go that far, but I suppose it could be the difference of getting Mackinnon/Crosby vs McDavid/Matthews?

Though I would argue the difference in Mackinnon/Crosby having a Cup(s) while McDavid/Matthews have not had much playoff success is due to incompetent management and supporting cast for Edmonton/Toronto rather than Mackinnon/Crosby being a more well rounded "winning" player.

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
Something I don't think people here are talking about too much, which isn't surprising because even the Sharks boards here don't necessarily have a majority of people from the Bay Area, is how this can help change the Bay Area Sports Landscape. As some of you know, over the years I've posted about this, because, even though I don't live in the Bay Area anymore, I want to see the Sharks become more popular in the Bay Area.

I'm not suggesting Celebrini moves a significant needle in terms of the hierarchy of Bay Area sports team (The pecking order will still be the same), but I have to think Celebrini's connection to the Warriors might help bring in some new Bay Area Casual Sports Fans who have otherwise ignored the Sharks, even when they were good. Back in the late 00's, I saw a news piece on KPIX where they interviewed people on the street in SF showing them pictures of Thornton and Marleau and asking them if they could name them. Most could not. I feel like Celebrini with the Warriors connection might finally be the bridge to people who follow the other Bay Area teams, but not the Sharks. And that's exciting to me. That's how you bring in new fans!

I also think there is fortuitous timing with all of this and the A's leaving. (Sorry A's fans). I lived in DFW from 2009-2022, and I was always jealous of how much DFW, a metro of a similar size to Bay Area, supported the Stars. And what I mean by that is, anywhere in the DFW metro you go, you do see Stars stuff. There is no Dallas vs. Arlington hangup like there is SF vs. SJ. Stars are still #4 in the pecking order, but you see support all over the metro. There are many reasons for the disparity between Stars support in DFW vs. Sharks support in the Bay Area, but one of them I've always contended is that DFW has one team per major pro sports league. Cowboys, Rangers, Stars, Mavs. For much of the Sharks existence, there has been the Niners, Raiders, Giants, A's, Warriors and then Sharks. (I'm putting aside the college teams just for sake of discussion, but we could also throw Cal, Stanford and even other schools in the mix) The sports landscape has always been so crowded in the Bay Area.

By the time the Sharks are good again with Celebrini and Smith leading the way, the Bay Area will be a one team per major pro sports league market (Niners, Giants, Warriors, Sharks). I think this benefits the Sharks. Also, by the time the Sharks are good again, there will be a new TV contract. Again, fortuitous timing. Maybe a new TV contract could see some games on local OTA television, like how back in the day there were some games (including the Sharks first ever playoff game) on KICU 36. I think that would be amazing!

Anyways, I'm simply looking forward to the Sharks getting their due in the Bay Area market and increased visibility. And nobody should discount what Celebrini means to the Sharks in terms of the Bay Area Sports landscape and overall business.
I was on YouTube and saw this casual perspective segment from local radio. Seems to be in line with what you are hoping for.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I was on YouTube and saw this casual perspective segment from local radio. Seems to be in line with what you are hoping for.

Thanks for sharing this! This is exactly the kind of hype I am happy to see. Never in my life did I ever think the Warriors could have had the meteoric rise they had in the 2010s. I think Celebrini, with the Warriors tie, presents the Sharks the best opportunity for their version of that. And I'm not talking about Championships as much as rising up the pecking order in a significant way relative to the Sharks coverage/interest in the past in the Bay Area. And my expectations for this kind of rise have always been next to nothing for my life, so I won't sweat it if it doesn't work out that way.

Separately, some commentors on that youtube link are saying he's more of a Warriors tie than a Bay Area tie. This is, of course, not only true, but this is better in terms of the stuff I am talking about. If Celebrini had no Warriors ties but was instead born and raised in the Bay Area, this youtube segment doesn't happen, or at least doesn't play out like that. It's the Warriors tie that is the hook to the Bay Area Casual, and I'm thrilled for that. Jumbo did hook in some Bay Area Casuals, I know, I was there in the Bay Area during that time. But Celebrini can hook in so much more and help take local interest in the Sharks to new heights.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Not sure if I'd go that far, but I suppose it could be the difference of getting Mackinnon/Crosby vs McDavid/Matthews?

Though I would argue the difference in Mackinnon/Crosby having a Cup(s) while McDavid/Matthews have not had much playoff success is due to incompetent management and supporting cast for Edmonton/Toronto rather than Mackinnon/Crosby being a more well rounded "winning" player.
The fact that Edmonton has made it to the conference finals with these teams is a win itself. That team is literally McDavid and drai. Even with those 2 going at well over a point per game it's not even a guarantee they can win a series.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I am still around lurking, but I gotta say I has pretty much convinced myself the Sharks were going to do the Sharkiest thing ever and lose the lottery so I didn't get my hopes up heh. I hope this means they will be more fun to watch going forward. It's been insanely hard to watch Sharks Hockey for years now, just makes me think about how close we got and how disappointing it all was.
It’s nice to see you back, if only for one post.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I am still around lurking, but I gotta say I has pretty much convinced myself the Sharks were going to do the Sharkiest thing ever and lose the lottery so I didn't get my hopes up heh. I hope this means they will be more fun to watch going forward. It's been insanely hard to watch Sharks Hockey for years now, just makes me think about how close we got and how disappointing it all was.

hockeyball i miss you, come back into the light, there's hope again

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
A player like Bedard helps you win scoring titles. A player like Celebrini helps you win Cups.
I completely agree with this and I will go a step further in saying that Will Smith is better suited that the two picked above him to feast on the softer minutes that Macklin will provide him.

I think Celebrini will be a PPG all situations selke finalist, while Smith will push past 100 pts and challenge for the Art Ross.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
fostering more connections to the warriors would be good, might actually have to have a favorite nba team at this rate.

But also, I think this whole "he's from the bay" thing is a tad bit over-rated, no? He lived in the bay for a year? He's from bc lol. he says so frequently

Well,

His parents and his littlest brother lives in Livermore. Little brother plays hockey I believe.

His older brother is a Canuck prospect.

He lived in the Bay for a year for the Jr Sharks.

He said in an interview with Mike Rupp and Brian Boyle that he rarely has time to go home to his parents house in Livermore because he spends his winters playing tournaments.

So I dunno haha.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I will say that the west coast hockey rivalries used to do numbies for the networks when the Sharks, Kings, and Ducks were all good playoff teams. Would be shocked if the league didn't want the Sharks to be good again to capitalize on the Battle of California stuff again.
It's about time, the've been waisting all the good picks on Anaheim for years and they've blown it.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
It’s nice to see you back, if only for one post.
Yah sorry, it's been a super tough couple years for me. My life was kind of on the verge of total collapse but I managed to hold things together just barely and things are back on the upswing now. Health issues, marriage issues, lost $60k when the housing market crashed and we were right in the middle of closing on our new home and ended up having to back out... Anyway, the Sharks were not good for my mental health and I needed to put them in the background for a bit so I didn't have that stress too. I've been lurking the whole time though, I check in at least every few weeks, I Just don't post much because I am so out of touch at this point with the team. My 9 year old plays hockey though and loves it so I was thinking this would be a good year to get back to watching the Sharks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad