GDT: 2024 NHL Sharks Lottery Draft (update: We won! Sharks will pick 1st for the first time ever!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
Those cameos at the end had me tearing up, lol
Yeah, especially when Joe Thornton the number 1 OA is talking about the number 1 OA pick. I think if Joe can coach the young Macklin about how to handle the pressure of being the No.1 OA it will be awesome.

Reactions: slocal

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I am still around lurking, but I gotta say I has pretty much convinced myself the Sharks were going to do the Sharkiest thing ever and lose the lottery so I didn't get my hopes up heh. I hope this means they will be more fun to watch going forward. It's been insanely hard to watch Sharks Hockey for years now, just makes me think about how close we got and how disappointing it all was.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
After I posted that comment, I did some digging and it looks like most people think Celebrin is better than Hagens. Now McKenna in 2026 draft is said to be on Bedard level and Bedard is much better than Celebrini.
Bedard is only better than Celebrini from a pure offensive standpoint. Celebrini is much much better than Bedard defensively, much more well rounded

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I absolutely don’t think the draft is rigged but I had this funny thought before we won that if it WERE rigged, the Sharks actually made the most sense:

-first black GM, you don’t want him to be fired 3 seasons in/want to see him succeed
-important market faltering, jr Sharks player is the perfect story
-Celebrini is fantastic but not Crosby/McDavid level, so it’s okay to give him to a smaller market

…and then, other fun suspicious things:

-Quinn and Grier talking about the Sharks being better next year when some young guys come up (but who?! Surely they’re not talking about Gushchin!)
-Quinn being fired so quickly (perhaps Grier got a call about where they’d be drafting?!)
-Will Smith not announcing he’s going back to college yet despite his friends doing so (“wait til after the lottery Will”)

…IM JUST SAYING IT’S ALL A LITTLE TOO CONVENIENT

(and that’s how conspiracy theories are created)

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I absolutely don’t think the draft is rigged but I had this funny thought before we won that if it WERE rigged, the Sharks actually made the most sense:

-first black GM, you don’t want him to be fired 3 seasons in/want to see him succeed
-Celebrini is fantastic but not Crosby/McDavid level, so it’s okay to give him to a smaller market

-Quinn and Grier talking about the Sharks being better next year when some young guys come up (but who?! Surely they’re not talking about Gushchin!)
-Quinn being fired so quickly (perhaps Grier got a call about where they’d be drafting?!)
-Will Smith not announcing he’s going back to college yet despite his friends doing so (“wait til after the lottery Will”)

I will say that the west coast hockey rivalries used to do numbies for the networks when the Sharks, Kings, and Ducks were all good playoff teams. Would be shocked if the league didn't want the Sharks to be good again to capitalize on the Battle of California stuff again.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I will say that the west coast hockey rivalries used to do numbies for the networks when the Sharks, Kings, and Ducks were all good playoff teams. Would be shocked if the league didn't want the Sharks to be good again to capitalize on the Battle of California stuff again.

Totally. The west should be looking pretty great now in 2-3 years.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
If we have Hagens, he would push Celebrini to 2nd line.
Not even 48 hours later and we already have people underrating Celebrini. He could easily end up a better all around NHL player than Bedard.

Some of you are just so bad at evaluating prospects. Bordeleau, Gushchin and Cagnoni are future stars! Not sure about this Celebrini or Will Smith though.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Something I don't think people here are talking about too much, which isn't surprising because even the Sharks boards here don't necessarily have a majority of people from the Bay Area, is how this can help change the Bay Area Sports Landscape. As some of you know, over the years I've posted about this, because, even though I don't live in the Bay Area anymore, I want to see the Sharks become more popular in the Bay Area.

I'm not suggesting Celebrini moves a significant needle in terms of the hierarchy of Bay Area sports team (The pecking order will still be the same), but I have to think Celebrini's connection to the Warriors might help bring in some new Bay Area Casual Sports Fans who have otherwise ignored the Sharks, even when they were good. Back in the late 00's, I saw a news piece on KPIX where they interviewed people on the street in SF showing them pictures of Thornton and Marleau and asking them if they could name them. Most could not. I feel like Celebrini with the Warriors connection might finally be the bridge to people who follow the other Bay Area teams, but not the Sharks. And that's exciting to me. That's how you bring in new fans!

I also think there is fortuitous timing with all of this and the A's leaving. (Sorry A's fans). I lived in DFW from 2009-2022, and I was always jealous of how much DFW, a metro of a similar size to Bay Area, supported the Stars. And what I mean by that is, anywhere in the DFW metro you go, you do see Stars stuff. There is no Dallas vs. Arlington hangup like there is SF vs. SJ. Stars are still #4 in the pecking order, but you see support all over the metro. There are many reasons for the disparity between Stars support in DFW vs. Sharks support in the Bay Area, but one of them I've always contended is that DFW has one team per major pro sports league. Cowboys, Rangers, Stars, Mavs. For much of the Sharks existence, there has been the Niners, Raiders, Giants, A's, Warriors and then Sharks. (I'm putting aside the college teams just for sake of discussion, but we could also throw Cal, Stanford and even other schools in the mix) The sports landscape has always been so crowded in the Bay Area.

By the time the Sharks are good again with Celebrini and Smith leading the way, the Bay Area will be a one team per major pro sports league market (Niners, Giants, Warriors, Sharks). I think this benefits the Sharks. Also, by the time the Sharks are good again, there will be a new TV contract. Again, fortuitous timing. Maybe a new TV contract could see some games on local OTA television, like how back in the day there were some games (including the Sharks first ever playoff game) on KICU 36. I think that would be amazing!

Anyways, I'm simply looking forward to the Sharks getting their due in the Bay Area market and increased visibility. And nobody should discount what Celebrini means to the Sharks in terms of the Bay Area Sports landscape and overall business.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Something I don't think people here are talking about too much, which isn't surprising because even the Sharks boards here don't necessarily have a majority of people from the Bay Area, is how this can help change the Bay Area Sports Landscape. As some of you know, over the years I've posted about this, because, even though I don't live in the Bay Area anymore, I want to see the Sharks become more popular in the Bay Area.

I'm not suggesting Celebrini moves a significant needle in terms of the hierarchy of Bay Area sports team (The pecking order will still be the same), but I have to think Celebrini's connection to the Warriors might help bring in some new Bay Area Casual Sports Fans who have otherwise ignored the Sharks, even when they were good. Back in the late 00's, I saw a news piece on KPIX where they interviewed people on the street in SF showing them pictures of Thornton and Marleau and asking them if they could name them. Most could not. I feel like Celebrini with the Warriors connection might finally be the bridge to people who follow the other Bay Area teams, but not the Sharks. And that's exciting to me. That's how you bring in new fans!

I also think there is fortuitous timing with all of this and the A's leaving. (Sorry A's fans). I lived in DFW from 2009-2022, and I was always jealous of how much DFW, a metro of a similar size to Bay Area, supported the Stars. And what I mean by that is, anywhere in the DFW metro you go, you do see Stars stuff. There is no Dallas vs. Arlington hangup like there is SF vs. SJ. Stars are still #4 in the pecking order, but you see support all over the metro. There are many reasons for the disparity between Stars support in DFW vs. Sharks support in the Bay Area, but one of them I've always contended is that DFW has one team per major pro sports league. Cowboys, Rangers, Stars, Mavs. For much of the Sharks existence, there has been the Niners, Raiders, Giants, A's, Warriors and then Sharks. (I'm putting aside the college teams just for sake of discussion, but we could also throw Cal, Stanford and even other schools in the mix) The sports landscape has always been so crowded in the Bay.

By the time the Sharks are good again with Celebrini and Smith leading the way, the Bay Area will be a one team per major pro sports league market (Niners, Giants, Warriors, Sharks). I think this benefits the Sharks. Also, by the time the Sharks are good again, there will be a new TV contract. Again, fortuitous timing. Maybe a new TV contract could see some games on local OTA television, like how back in the bay there were some games (including the Sharks first ever playoff game) on KICU 36. I think that would be amazing!

Anyways, I'm simply looking forward to the Sharks getting their due in the Bay Area market and increased visibility. And nobody should discount what Celebrini means to the Sharks in terms of the Bay Area Sports landscape.

If the Sharks aren’t planning dozens of warriors/sharks videos, they’re insane.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
If the Sharks aren’t planning dozens of warriors/sharks videos, they’re insane.

I'm sure they are! The Sharks and Warriors have a good relationship. They used to do that Warriors preseason game at the Tank with a bobblehead giveaway where a Warriors player (Curry once, Klay another year) would be wearing a Sharks jersey. I could see that game returning and maybe a giveaway with Celebrini bobblehead in a Warriors jersey.

And who knows, maybe this is crazy talk, but maybe a Sharks preseason game at Chase Center? Assuming it is logistically feasible, I could see it.

Celebrini is how you market the Sharks all over the Bay Area, including cities where a segment of the population might otherwise look down at the Sharks as being "San Jose's team."

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I’m not sure if it’s about the winning the first overall but I’m feeling better that we’re getting Celebrini than Bedard. I am thinking Macklin will have a longer more consistent career. More beneficial in the long run.

I'm sure they are! The Sharks and Warriors have a good relationship. They used to do that Warriors preseason game at the Tank with a bobblehead giveaway where a Warriors player (Curry once, Klay another year) would be wearing a Sharks jersey. I could see that game returning and maybe a giveaway with Celebrini bobblehead in a Warriors jersey.

And who knows, maybe this is crazy talk, but maybe a Sharks preseason game at Chase Center? Assuming it is logistically feasible, I could see it.

Celebrini is how you market the Sharks all over the Bay Area, including cities where a segment of the population might otherwise look down at the Sharks as being "San Jose's team."
This can be a bonanza!! To quote Hoe Starkey, for those who remember.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I’m not sure if it’s about the winning the first overall but I’m feeling better that we’re getting Celebrini than Bedard. I am thinking Macklin will have a longer more consistent career. More beneficial in the long run.

This can be a bonanza!! To quote Hoe Starkey, for those who remember.
Another element is Celebrini's impact is two way, and typically star players are paid for their offense, so there is a good chance he ends up with a much more efficient contract.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012

I assume this is sarcasm/believe you don't think it's rigged, but any doubt about the legitimacy of the Lottery should be gone after seeing the video + Sheng and Wyshynski being there live/reporting on it followed by the Sharks winning the next 2 lottery draws for #2. Without video, sure they could rig it I guess but I went from 99.99% not rigged to 99.99999999999% going forward

• Wow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad