GDT: 2024 NHL Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
As a GM, I'm not doing my job if I'm not seeing ALL opportunities to improve my roster and my Club overall (including the farm team). At the same time, all these over-the-fence signing's, trades, and PTO's will ultimately send a message to my under-contract prospects that you, just perhaps, don't have a future here. It ain't like the old days where pressure pushes the drive. Nowadays, we're seeing the whole "f*** it" mentality if one perceives these things as writings on the wall.

Different times

That said, I don't project any of our current prospects (I mean, the Dukes, the Howards, the Huuht's, the Chaffees, etc) to be nothing more than bottom 6 replacements for the likes of Ace, Glendening, and BDN. Geekie I want to see more with my own eyes

I want to be wrong though

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
As a GM, I'm not doing my job if I'm not seeing ALL opportunities to improve my roster and my Club overall (including the farm team). At the same time, all these over-the-fence signing's, trades, and PTO's will ultimately send a message to my under-contract prospects that you, just perhaps, don't have a future here. It ain't like the old days where pressure pushes the drive. Nowadays, we're seeing the whole "f*** it" mentality if one perceives these things as writings on the wall.

Different times

That said, I don't project any of our current prospects (I mean, the Dukes, the Howards, the Huuht's, the Chaffees, etc) to be nothing more than bottom 6 replacements for the likes of Ace, Glendening, and BDN. Geekie I want to see more with my own eyes

I want to be wrong though
Geekie at minimum is a 3LW. That will be valuable in the years to come. Gauthier looks to be a 3C at minimum, although I have my skepticism since the Q sucks for the most part. I'm getting worried Howard will be another AAAA tweener, but he'll get a shot on the 2nd line at some point unless he's traded.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Imagine how awkward if that was an employee doing that on his/her way out and just sent it. I'm sure there's some form of approval but i just imagine Tarasenko like oh I guess they want me, then Dubas is like no we are in a transition phase.... lol

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Wtf is the point of Tarasenko to Pittsburgh? He's not gonna win there, and they aren't getting younger by signing him?

Retirement home signing?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Henrique had a better offer from Tampa but chose to go to Edmonton to play with McDavid. You can’t always assume every player prefers Tampa.
Yeah, the odd player specifically wants to come here. But we are barely a contender anymore. For as many players who have wanted to come, there are other players who've taken equal or worse offers to go elsewhere. Sunshine and taxes only get you so far.

Wtf is the point of Tarasenko to Pittsburgh? He's not gonna win there, and they aren't getting younger by signing him?

Retirement home signing?
Dubas is hoping his core has a miracle left in them. So age doesn't matter when he's bringing guys in. It's not like they have the assets to rebuild the core. So, when you're building around 37 year Olds, age literally doesn't matter.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
We're in trouble lol. Not that Tarasenko was a world beater, but there is literally nothing left.

I'm getting on board with packaging Cirelli and picks for a younger, offensive C. What about moving Paul instead of Cirelli?

Reactions: The Gongshow

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm a prospects guy so if it was up to me we wouldn't bring in any other veterans for the big club. I'd have Perbix and Crozier battle for that 3rd pair RD spot. If Perbix wins then send Crozier back to Syracuse. If Crozier then trade Perbix for a 5th/6th. Lilleberg will be the 7th D, maybe plays his off hand but more likely we go 7D once a week to keep him fresh.

I would give Goncalves the 3C in camp and tell him to run with it. Have Paul as the LW who can help with draws and is strong enough to cover defensively. Put Atkinson at RW for another vet presence to start but I doubt he can keep up on the 3rd line all year.

Now if we want to add some more vets then for RD I would look at Justin Schultz. Can easily play 15 a night, adds some puck movement and his defensive game isn't as dire as it once was. Would take a flyer on Boqvist too. If Barrie didn't have his father's past would give a look but doubt there's mutual interest. Klingberg I believe is finished, not sure his knee is good anymore.

For forward Roslovic is the best fit as he can play C and RW which is what we need. He's a very frustrating player, think Namestnikov, so would be in the doghouse often and he may want more than what we should pay. Johnson is similar and knows Coops system plus would be nice to bring him back. Sprong can shot but that's about it, so if we want a Stamkos replacement on the PP he's your guy. Would take a flyer on Zadine, LH shot unfortunately, as a cheap reclamation project.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
We're in trouble lol. Not that Tarasenko was a world beater, but there is literally nothing left.

I'm getting on board with packaging Cirelli and picks for a younger, offensive C. What about moving Paul instead of Cirelli?
Paul would be a decent option to move. if you can get a younger 3C out of it and a prospect

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The way I see it they are giving Cirelli this season to increase his production with Hagel or Guentzel on his line, and if he doesn't he will be dealt before next July 1st

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
The way I see it they are giving Cirelli this season to increase his production with Hagel or Guentzel on his line, and if he doesn't he will be dealt before next July 1st
That is if we could find a trade partner willing to pay him that much for that long..without having to add a sweetener. Maybe smarter to trade him before his value is totally in the shitter.

Y'all said let JBB cook, but he's been looking at the value meal menu at McDonalds
Pretty hard to buy a gourmet meal when you have value meal money available. The alternative is to trade one of Point, Kucherov, or Vasilevskiy to free up the money. Would that make this team better?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Nothing like a test run right at the end of a cup window

I think the status quo wasn't working. Still may continue not to work, but I don't think we are inside of our cup window anymore.

That is if we could find a trade partner willing to pay him that much for that long..without having to add a sweetener. Maybe smarter to trade him before his value is totally in the shitter.

Pretty hard to buy a gourmet meal when you have value meal money available. The alternative is to trade one of Point, Kucherov, or Vasilevskiy to free up the money. Would that make this team better?
I think Cirelli has a lot of value around the league to the right team. If he makes no improvement next season, there will still be plenty of teams interested IMO

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad