GDT: 2024 NHL first round. 7PM EST / 4PM PST

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
The issue is you think a 6'0" d-man can't be effective NHLer. But think 5'10" forwards are perfectly fine.

Simashev is fine, but not spectacular. and Silayev is massive and skates very well too. So I guess Silayev is equal to him.

Oleksiak is massive and is fast. Yet he's a 3rd pairing d-man.

Yeah and Graves is real great on my Pens. Not.

Apparently someone doesn't think Makar was a big part of why the Avs won a cup.
You can't read. 6'0 D-men are ok and there are exceptional guys in the NHL who are that height, but if you got six guys on your back end who are 6'0 you won't win jack shit. Quinn Hughes got bullied in the playoffs. It has been proven year after year that teams with big back ends win cups. I am not gonna speak about this any further.

Oleksiak is def not fast lmao. Makar is a special talent and obviously his size doesn't hinder him too much, but he also can hit for his size. And I never once said he wasn't a big part lol

You have a good night pal

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Going against the grain here a bit, I think that O’Reilly’s value next trade deadline will be perceived to be higher than what their first would have been unless things go really wrong for the Oilers next season. London players tend to take big steps forward in their draft +1 seasons and he definitely showed well in the playoffs and Mem Cup.

spfan

May 4, 2009
You can't read. 6'0 D-men are ok and there are exceptional guys in the NHL who are that height, but if you got six guys on your back end who are 6'0 you won't win jack shit. Quinn Hughes got bullied in the playoffs. It has been proven year after year that teams with big back ends win cups. I am not gonna speak about this any further.

Oleksiak is def not fast lmao. Makar is a special talent and obviously his size doesn't hinder him too much, but he also can hit for his size. And I never once said he wasn't a big part lol

You have a good night pal
Oleksiak is fast. I watched him every night when he was Penguin. It was amazing how ineffective he was. He was bigger than everyone, faster than many and yet he still gave up a lot defensively. Offensively, he was decent. Overall, not a good player. Which is why you can have size and skating and it still not working out. Not saying Simashev is Oleksiak 2.0. But I think he might be more Zadorov. He won't be a Hedman.

And Buium wouldn't be with 5 other players who are small.

Hedman's are valuable, so are Fox's.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Sam O’Reilly.

Description: plays hockey if you ask him too. Will definitely be on your line if you put him there.

Highlights: him having pretty bad hands

Alright cool pick gotta have him.

• Haha
Reactions: ZDH and Realgud

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
LOL at Oilers having Rick Pracey as their Head Scout, he's as much of a fraud as there is.

Huge OHL homer who likes drafting <5'10" centres or average-height defencemen who are store brand vanilla ice cream.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not saying Simashev is Oleksiak 2.0. But I think he might be more Zadorov. He won't be a Hedman.

What stands out about Simashev's skating isn't speed - many big men are fast in open ice. Simashev has incredible natural deception. He can combine multiple changes in direction within a second or two and escape with the puck into open space. That's what makes him special.

spfan

May 4, 2009
What stands out about Simashev's skating isn't speed - many big men are fast in open ice. Simashev has incredible natural deception. He can combine multiple changes in direction within a second or two and escape with the puck into open space. That's what makes him special.
He's fine. Don't hate him. I think he could be pretty good, but I don't think he's going to be anything close to a Hedman.

It was mainly the guy I replied to debating that big players are superior to small players essentially. Utah(formerly Arizona) best player is going to Cooley, who's a small player. And debating that team specifically.

And he was downplaying Buium. As if Buium is even exceptionally small. He's basically just an average size d-man.

I mean Lane Hutson is 4 inches shorter than Buium and already looking like a big steal.

IQ, skill, skating is most important to me. Don't hate players with size. If they have size with those things, that's great. But a small player with those things will succeed. Tons of proven small players. I ranked Lindstrom 4th. He's big, but has all those things too.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Hey, did anybody explained why not one team congratulated the Panthers ont their Stanley Cup? It's so odd. Was this a rule by Bettman? Like, they didn't allow for the whole team to come up stage either.
Does anyone truly respect the Panther organization? Not counting Zito, not Maurice and not the players.. The rest of it. I think it was deliberate.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hey, did anybody explained why not one team congratulated the Panthers ont their Stanley Cup? It's so odd. Was this a rule by Bettman? Like, they didn't allow for the whole team to come up stage either.

I presumed that they put some rules in place to speed things up.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Those TOR/EDM picks were puzzling.

Ben Danford... I know lots rave about his character but limited upside imo, I liked his teammate Luca Marrelli more. But he's atleast a RHD with legitimate attributes, maybe a #4 or #5D.

And no idea what EDM is doing trading a premium asset in their window to pick a bottom 6C. I like Sam O'Rielly, he's gritty, hits everything that moves, does whatever it takes, but the offensive upside just isn't there. There were some decent options available but that wasn't it imo.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Going against the grain here a bit, I think that O’Reilly’s value next trade deadline will be perceived to be higher than what their first would have been unless things go really wrong for the Oilers next season. London players tend to take big steps forward in their draft +1 seasons and he definitely showed well in the playoffs and Mem Cup.
Exactly how this oiler fan sees it. The guy was playing jr.b a year ago the development curve is very impressive and hope to see the rising stock continue to rise

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
The league should honestly just do the draft at the Sphere every year now. By far the best venue for it and so much better then arenas.

Its also a cool event and special moment for the prospects, I dont like seeing them take that away and do it entirely online like they're currently planning to do.
The issue with that is that the Sphere is ridiculously expensive to host events at.

Dana White said that the UFC has invested 16 MILLION for UFC 306 to be held there, and while the price may not reach those heights for every event held there, it's still a LOT of money to spend on a venue.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Skating's an issue, but I wouldn't say he has huge bust potential. He is a big winger that uses his size too.

But I would say this is the draft mentality in general. Not specific to this draft.
Biggest boom-bust potential in the Draft imo.

And i disagree with there being a ”general draft mentality”, it varies yearly based on who there is on the board etc.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Good value. Not the greatest fit though. But funny that Sabres fans seemed convinced they wouldn't pick this type of player.

?? We literally picked Helenius for Buffalo at 11 in the team board mock. We very much like 200’ natural centers (size queens aside, and I’m sure every board has a few of those).

Reactions: Fjordy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad