GDT: 2024 NHL first round. 7PM EST / 4PM PST

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

spfan

May 4, 2009
I thought they were going best goalie available, which might have made sense considering where their next pick is. But I guess they could use a wing in a few years.
It wasn't a bad value pick in O'Reilly. But the future pick would likely be higher. Couldn't be any lower.

Na, 0% chance a goalie was going in the 1st this year.

Reactions: Pablo El Perro

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
I just named you the top d-men. I really don't get how you're saying it's proven lol.

And Silayev fell because he's super limited offensively. But he should've fell even more still lol.

Did you confuse Buium for Cole Hutson or something?? he's 6'0" 186lbs. He's not tiny. He's bigger than Makar and Hughes.

Buium won't be as good as Makar, but Simashev won't be as good as Hedman.

The Coyotes best draft pick was Cooley, a "tiny" player. If you're gonna compliment their drafting, you need to compliment their actual best pick, who is tinier than Buium lol.

And Guenthier is their 2nd best pick and he's not a physical specimen either.
I am talking D-men. Not forwards. Stanley cup winners the past 10 years have all had a big back end for the most part. I agree on Silayev. Looking at Bium he looks smaller than his listed stats. I don't think Simashev will be Hedman level, but he is going to be a top 2 D-man. He is a better prospect than Bium.

Cooley isn't that small for a forward. He has a long wingspan relative to his size. He is almost 5'11. Guenther is 6'2 and will fill out to 190-200. I'd say he isn't small.

spfan

May 4, 2009
I am talking D-men. Not forwards. Stanley cup winners the past 10 years have all had a big back end for the most part. I agree on Silayev. Looking at Bium he looks smaller than his listed stats. I don't think Simashev will be Hedman level, but he is going to be a top 2 D-man. He is a better prospect than Bium.

Cooley isn't that small for a forward. He has a long wingspan relative to his size. He is almost 5'11. Guenther is 6'2 and will fill out to 190-200. I'd say he isn't small.
Guenther isn't short, but he's not a physical player at all. He's a skilled goal scorer.

If Cooley isn't small, who is? Caufield and that's about it. And he's a perfect example of someone who fell for his size, who worked out. Cooley is 5'10". Buium is 6'0".

As I've said for example a couple of times, Makar is the best in the league, smaller than Buium and he was a main part of why the Avs won a cup.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Hmm, seems a bit risky of a trade by Edmonton. A future 1st in what looks to be better draft classes for the last pick in a weaker draft class. Was their any protection on the picks?

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Guenther isn't short, but he's not a physical player at all. He's a skilled goal scorer.

If Cooley isn't small, who is? Caufield and that's about it. And he's a perfect example of someone who fell for his size, who worked out. Cooley is 5'10". Buium is 6'0".

As I've said for example a couple of times, Makar is the best in the league, smaller than Buium and he was a main part of why the Avs won a cup.
well I never said you have to draft physical specimens with every pick. Cooley is 5'11, not 5'10. He isn't that small. He is gonna bulk up more too. The numbers online are wrong.

Makar plays a lot different than Bium though. I don't think they're great comparables.

spfan

May 4, 2009
well I never said you have to draft physical specimens with every pick. Cooley is 5'11, not 5'10. He isn't that small. He is gonna bulk up more too. The numbers online are wrong.

Makar plays a lot different than Bium though. I don't think they're great comparables.
And Simashev compares more to Zadorov than Hedman too.

Tiny 6'0" d-man. and yet 5'11" is fine size. right.... and no, neither forwards or d-men have to be 6'2".

And you know 5'9" isn't too small either. MVP Marchessault. Yep, a tiny player most valuable to a stanely cup champion, just 1 year ago...

Boris Valabik is the next Chara too.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
And Simashev compares more to Zadorov than Hedman too.

Tiny 6'0" d-man. and yet 5'11" is fine size. right.... and no, neither forwards or d-men have to be 6'2".

And you know 5'9" isn't too small either. MVP Marchessault. Yep, a tiny player most valuable to a stanely cup champion, just 1 year ago...

Boris Valabik is the next Chara too.
LMAO! You're a funny guy. Simashev is a real good prospect. Go watch him play buddy. Unreal skater for his size

A 5'11 forward is different than a barely 6'0 D-man bud. You can't read well...I am talking about small D-man, not forwards. You can get away with having a few small forwards. You do not want too many small D-men on your back end. You need big D in the playoffs who can box guys out in the front of the net.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's young and he was buried on the Knights to start the year. He improved all year long, had good playoffs and Memorial Cup. He's underrated and would have put up way more points if he had played on a weaker CHL team.
I think is O'Reilly is a good, smart player who plays a pro style game. PLays C and W. Reminds me of Ryan Hartman w/o the stupid penalties. I don't agree with that Bacon guy's ranking of him as 88th, or whatever, and neither do many others.

I wish my team could've gotten him in the 2nd, but thought it would be unlikely.

Reactions: TopC0rner

spfan

May 4, 2009
LMAO! You're a funny guy. Simashev is a real good prospect. Go watch him play buddy. Unreal skater for his size

A 5'11 forward is different than a barely 6'0 D-man bud. You can't read well...I am talking about small D-man, not forwards. You can get away with having a few small forwards. You do not want too many small D-men on your back end. You need big D in the playoffs who can box guys out in the front of the net.
The issue is you think a 6'0" d-man can't be effective NHLer. But think 5'10" forwards are perfectly fine.

Simashev is fine, but not spectacular. and Silayev is massive and skates very well too. So I guess Silayev is equal to him.

Oleksiak is massive and is fast. Yet he's a 3rd pairing d-man.

Yeah and Graves is real great on my Pens. Not.

Apparently someone doesn't think Makar was a big part of why the Avs won a cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad