GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do the Avs trade #24 or Make a selection?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Obviously have to take things at face value but I'm not confident in a Drouin contract anymore after that press conference.

Feels like perhaps CMac was thinking he could move Colton and it'd be easier, but it probably hasn't been as easy to move Colton as he thought.

I think it’s about finding the right deal.

It’s not like Colton is a bum. He’s only 27 and is coming off a 40-point season. They’re not going to give him away.

If they don’t get a decent offer, they’ll just keep Colton.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Could be a boat
1719643139194.jpeg

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Seriously Pracey is f***ing atrocious. Complete lol.

Oilers will have fun with him at least :naughty:

Had to remind myself of his "track record" when he was Avs director of amateur scouting
40 picks
- 6 NHLers (3 of them lottery picks though)
- 12 who played some games (11 under 113 games played) and aren't in the league anymore (except Martin)
- 22 never weres

898489189.jpg

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Oilers will have fun with him at least :naughty:

Had to remind myself of his "track record" when he was Avs director of amateur scouting
40 picks
- 6 NHLers (3 of them lottery picks though)
- 12 who played some games (11 under 113 games played) and aren't in the league anymore (except Martin)
- 22 never weres

View attachment 889184
All 20 of Siemen’s games were re-confirmation we blew it in that draft pick.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Any Colton trade hinges on the ability to find an adequate replacement 3C, which is probably where the sticking point is.

If rumours are true that there's interest in Colton then simply trading Colton for picks wouldn't be very difficult. But finding a 3C at a low enough caphit where signing Drouin becomes realistic is much harder, and without that part of the puzzle lined up there's simply no way you can trade Colton.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
What did he say?
“It’s a challenging one, right? Because Jonathan Drouin had a very, very good season last year,” MacFarland said on Friday. “We are cap-challenged, so there’s those competing factors. Both parties want to get it done, but finding that sweet spot is the challenge.”

“You really can’t go over $88 (million),” MacFarland said, before talking more about the two players in question that are limiting what they can do.

“Last year, we knew (Landeskog) was out for the year. This year, thankfully, we don’t know that,” he said. “We know Val’s going to be reinstated at some point, assuming everything goes good, which obviously that’s what we’re hoping for for him and for us. At some point in November, it’s not like we can go and spend $6 million and then go, ‘Okay, we got to get rid of $6 million’ three weeks into the season. That’s not how it works.”

“Can it get across the finish line? I don’t know,” MacFarland said of a potential contract. “I do think that Jonathan was great for us, but I also think the Avalanche were great for Jonathan as well. We’ll certainly stay in touch with Allan Walsh through the weekend, and we’ll what happens.”

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Sounds like CMac is hinting at the fact that he's exploring trades to open up capspace for Drouin, without saying that that's what he's doing. Otherwise there would be no point in staying in touch with his agent over the weekend.

I predict they either trade Colton for picks today (before his NTC starts), or move Nichushkin+ before free agency to open up capspace to sign Drouin before he hits the market.

Reactions: Alienblood

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Trading down in the draft could also be a way to buy some time to not burn that prime asset before the Colton/Drouin situation is resolved.

Had they used pick #24 it would have left them with very little ammo to get something done on a potential 3C trade in the next 24 hours. But now with #38, NYR 2025 2nd, and #71 they've got a few pieces they can still use in a trade, either as one package or in smaller parts.

Maybe the #24 pick was also too valuable on its own to trade for a 3C in isolation, but splitting that value into three picks gives them options value-wise when setting up a trade.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
How about

Colton for Marino + Lazar

Manson+ for a good 3C (with enough retained to re-sign Drouin)

Manson probably has some decent value right now, and interest as per Friedman, so you could probably get a decent 3C for him in combination with #38, NYR 2025 2nd, #71.

Drouin - Mackinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Mittelstadt - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - 3C (~$1.5m) - O'Connor
Wood - Lazar - Kovalenko
Wagner

Toews - Makar
Girard - Marino
3LD - Malinski
7D

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Told ya Val’s gonna be back with the Avs if he doesn’t scorew up in the program
I still wouldn't draw any conclusions from that. If there is no interest from other teams at this point (and why would there be before he completes the program), what else is there to say? They are stuck with him.

Reactions: the_fan

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Disappointed on missing out on Solberg, Just my dumbass obsession with player from outside the Big 7.

But what are you gonna do? Anaheim made the jump for that reason.

I like the trade back. 2nd will be useful at the TDL next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad