GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 - June 28th - 7 P.M. / Round 2-7 - June 29th - 11 A.M

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Saucerhead Tharpe

Jul 18, 2021
TunFaire
What has me really excited about this pick, is that Silayev's ice time *increased* to over 20 minutes per game in the KHL playoffs. Kid was 17 until early April. He is, indeed, a unicorn.

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
The league asked teams not to do all the thanking the city and champions stuff. Which was good, it was rote and boring.
Yeah, the league took some steps to speed things along in regards to the selection announcements .. I like it. Also a lot less Devils folks on stage I noticed.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Are the details really that hard for you to understand the differences?

First you're assuming when this player arrives in 3 or more years that he wont have the growing pains that ALL new defender do...I guarantee you that he will.

Second a week ago I listened to you all tell me how a Siegenthaler or Bahl types is "easily replaced" ....no we celebrate using a 10th overall for one? You want to talk about switching lanes in the intersection?
Talking about assumptions when you are assuming it’s more than two years.

He has a two year contract and until that changes you can’t assume anything else.

Secondly, siegenthaler and bahl aren’t 6’7 and aren’t elite skaters. They both have about as many career points as you do contradictions.

For someone pounding the gavel about getting size speed and physicality this is a weird take

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

First you're assuming when this player arrives in 3 or more years that he wont have the growing pains that ALL new defender do...I guarantee you that he will.

Second a week ago I listened to you all tell me how a Siegenthaler or Bahl types is "easily replaced" ....no we celebrate using a 10th overall for one? You want to talk about switching lanes in the intersection?

if Silayev only turns out to be Kevin Bahl, it was a SWING AND A MISS of a draft pick, I'll tell you that much

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
Any scuttlebutt on Necas or McGroarty this morning? Was surprised neither guy was moved yesterday.
Answering my own post after reading an article from The Athletic. Seems McGroarty was possibly headed to The Wild for pick #13, but Wild switched gears when Buium was sitting there. Other teams apparently kicked the tires in the middle part of round one, but nothing came to fruition.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
of the list of players who i think might actually be there (basically just cross-referencing w bobs list):

-shuravin. going silayev and silayev-lite might feel redundant but the value would be too much to pass on
-muggli. lesser end defensive projection but still an elite transitional threat with great physical instincts
-mustard. big target here. speedy, high intensity forechecker with a great shot. maybe a center
-villeneuve. another big one. forechecker who loves to hit and agitate. good scoring upside. probably a center
-bednarik/boilard. center who can skate and play all 200ft feet of the ice. much needed player type in the farm
-he. speed, compete, scoring, and perhaps some upside hidden by being on a poor niagra team
-gojsic/ustinkov. upside swings who still address system needs. neither ranked on bobs list, might even get to pick them later
-kos/ziemer/traff/spellacy. basically different flavors/upsides of the same high compete checking line player
-moysevich/zarubin/nabokov. maybe not with our first 3rd rounder but im fine targeting a goalie and we should be focusing overseas
-might not love the howe/ritchie/zether type players pair with our roster but all would warrant a pick there

theres really no shortage of options/directions right now, and i could easily come up with more. the good about the depth of this years class is that from the 40s to our pick. i really dont think theres that dramatic of a value change. the bad, though, is we need centers, skaters, and forecheckers above all else, so if a couple of those names like mustard/villeneuve go early, its gonna be annoying because i dont think we'll have many other decent options down the board
Thanks a lot! I copy+pasted these. Something to watch during the 2nd and 3rd round.

Reactions: evnted

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Nobody they picked is ‘replacing’ Bahl this year, that’ll be whoever they sign or trade for later this offseason. He might replace Siegs in THREE years if he’s still on the team then but as of now he’s just a prospect. You can’t really complain about us using a pick on a guy two years away from coming to NA when you were one of the ones beating the drum we can’t trade three straight first rounders under any circumstances. Nobody we picked was likely to be a big contributor before 2026-27 at earliest anyway.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Dickinson is a gregarious kid. NJ for better or worse saw Silayev over him and Buium for whatever reason.
i can see fit over buium with casey, nemec, and hughes in the fold. i can see see ceiling over dickinson. him taking time to develop offense shouldn't be a problem as we have lots of offensive potential on the blueline already. the devils will be fine with him focusing on d the first few seasons, which should keep his salary down.

from a risk diversifying pov i would have preferred dickinson or buium. basically our whole d prospect pool now plays in the khl: captain black pearl, both daniil's and now silayev.

still very happy with the pick

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
And Fitz clearly made the pick for BPA by our department because he would not "risk" for drafting Russian and wait one or may be two more years for a player with weaker upside.

If they decided to pick him, they trully think he will be the best player for the Devils.

Not this theoretical "defensive defensemen should be picked later, center should be picked in first roudn, 4th round is for goalies, late round for MHLers". They like this player. Specific player. They learned a lot about him to make this pick.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I don’t see a lot of people being upset, it seems more like people are selling themselves on Silayev being the best fit for the Devils.

I don’t think it’s a bad pick either, it’s just painful to have Buium and to a lesser extent Dickinson sitting there and passing on them.

If the options were alternatively something like Silayev, Sennecke, Yakemchuk, I would be way more content with the pick.

I do think that Buium sliding is going to make a lot of these teams look bad. But that’s not an indictment on Silayev’s play.
I think a reason buium fell was the NCAA factor. I think Calgary and Ottawa passed because of this. Calgary has already lost Adam fox and didn’t want a repeat.

Dickinson sounds like the safest bet for a top 4.

I’m happy the devils shot for the moon for a potential Russian chara. It seems to be the bpa and best team fit as well. Silayev was ranked higher than buium and Dickinson on most lists I saw.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Dear God(or Devil), Im not asking much. But if you know that Fitz will sign Pesce, help Fitz to trade Marino for early second and roster player. And ask him to draft Chernyshov. Its not much. Just asking with all the respect.

Reactions: Darkauron

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
It's difficult to know how the second and early third round goes, but @StevenToddIves , @Guadana . @evnted do you have some names the Devils could/should target with their third round picks?
Here's my list of best available players.

The Devils desperately need centers, but this draft is very thin there. The same has been said in regards to goaltending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad