GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 - June 28th - 7 P.M. / Round 2-7 - June 29th - 11 A.M

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So what? Kucherov was 50... somthing. Panarin wasnt drafted. You are trying to talk about players like they are some "thing". They are specific players with specific skills, potential, issues and strengths. Silayev absolutely deserved to be picked in top-10. Its not questionable.

And its even more strange from you when you are closing your eyes on the player who is huge and skates as one of the best on the draft, who is closing gaps, smart positionally and doing his stuff as 17 yo against hardest competition after NHL. May be he has even more offense, because you dont know it with so young players. And he didnt play sheltered minutes, he played 15 minutes in KHL, his ice time in playoff was 14 min 37 sec, 15.06, 12.10, 24.36, 17.09. -1 and +2 in 5 games. Against SKA - one of the best KHL teams.

This kid deserved some trust, especially from you.
See there is a disconnect between deserving to be a top 10 pick and not being available/ready for 4 years in my opinion.

There is a lot wrong with that concept.

When you sing the praises of Silayev's skating and defensive ability it loses its impact knowing that we won't see this in North America for a minimum of 2 years likely more...to me it's especially bothersome for defenders because I do think the North American game is different enough that when European defenders have to learn it, they are at a disadvantage. Or behind the curve.

So there are obstacles to success for this player that another North America Defender might not have...that in my view makes a top 10 pick just as questionable as the lack of offense potential.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
See there is a disconnect between deserving to be a top 10 pick and not being available/ready for 4 years in my opinion.

When you sing the praises of Silayev's skating and defensive ability it loses its impact knowing that we won't see this in North America for a minimum of 2 years likely more...to me it's especially bothersome for defenders because I do think the North American game is different enough that when European defenders have to learn it, they are at a disadvantage. Or behind the curve.

So there are obstacles to success for this player that another North America Defender might not have...that in my view makes a top 10 pick just as questionable as the lack of offense potential.
So what? Luke play two years in NCAA, Faber played three. Silayevs plan for a njdevils team is to play him two years in KHL and now it looks like it is his plan.

There are no questions about two or three years. Its top 10 pick. Devils drafted player for his "game impact ceiling". They were not afraid to draft player from Russia. So he clearly deserved it.

And like I said - his timing will help to Luke and Simon, and may be even Casey to develop their game more.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
It’s crazy how many people seem upset with the pick. I didn’t know much going in I was expecting sennecke or nygard so it was crazy to me that sennecke went 3rd and the guy projected to go 3rd fell all the way to 10. It’s like we got a top 3 pick at 10
Yeah, I think this was a great outcome for the Devils.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
It’s crazy how many people seem upset with the pick. I didn’t know much going in I was expecting sennecke or nygard so it was crazy to me that sennecke went 3rd and the guy projected to go 3rd fell all the way to 10. It’s like we got a top 3 pick at 10
I don’t see a lot of people being upset, it seems more like people are selling themselves on Silayev being the best fit for the Devils.

I don’t think it’s a bad pick either, it’s just painful to have Buium and to a lesser extent Dickinson sitting there and passing on them.

If the options were alternatively something like Silayev, Sennecke, Yakemchuk, I would be way more content with the pick.

I do think that Buium sliding is going to make a lot of these teams look bad. But that’s not an indictment on Silayev’s play.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Upset is definitely the wrong word.

I think seeing the wide array of choices we had when it was our turn to pick, made this pick significantly more complicated.

There were a lot of choices that most never thought was possible. Now I'm am not saying I wanted one of those...I still would've picked Nygard at #10...but it certainly muddyed the waters with all those players out there

Last edited:
Reactions: Unknown Caller

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Upset is definitely the wrong word.

I think seeing the wide array of choices we had when it was our turn pick made this pick significantly more complicated.

There were a lot of choices that most never thought were possible. Now I'm am not saying I wanted one of those...I still would've picked Nygard at #10...but certainly muddyed the waters with all those players out there
Yep. I’m not one of the people who coveted Nygard, but having Buium in the system would have been unreal.

Silayev may turn into a premier shut down defenseman in the league, but I just feel like that role can be acquired way easier than a player like Buium who can produce at a Quinn Hughes/Adam Fox level and already is a phenomenal defender in his own right.

I get that Buium’s redundant with Luke, Nemec, and Casey, but my strategy would be to take the best asset and figure out roster composition later. Things change so quickly.

Reactions: JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yep. I’m not one of the people who coveted Nygard, but having Buium in the system would have been unreal.

Silayev may turn into a premier shut down defenseman in the league, but I just feel like that role can be acquired way easier than a player like Buium who can produce at a Quinn Hughes/Adam Fox level and already is a phenomenal defender in his own right.
I absolutely agree...A top 10 pick should be about high end skill and top tier potential.

I also think it's a dangerous game drafting single dimension players. It's sort of what we did with Holtz...his shot was supposed to be his ticket to stardom...now he's in every trade proposal.

Reactions: Unknown Caller

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
For a 17 year old in a league that tends to punish kids for everything to get Hedman, Chara and Pronger comparisons from multiple scouts, I don't know if I'd say there's little top tier potential.

I get the concerns, though. I don't feel it's unreasonable to be a little wary of the pick.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
For a 17 year old in a league that tends to punish kids for everything to get Hedman, Chara and Pronger comparisons from multiple scouts, I don't know if I'd say there's little top tier potential.

I get the concerns, though. I don't feel it's unreasonable to be a little wary of the pick.
He’s not Hedman or Pronger. Chara maybe.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I don’t think Silyaev is a one trick pony. He’s huge AND he skates really well AND he has pro level defensive abilities and instincts right now, today. 17 year olds just don’t get the type of responsibility in the KHL that he just shouldered well, and on his off hand for a large chunk of the season.

The offense is a work in progress. So is MBN’s more or less unproven offense at the pro level. He had 18 points in the second level Swedish league.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago

Idk man you seem to change lanes in the middle of the intersection a lot.

Whatever LD they sign in free agency is likely getting a multiple year term, Siegs is here for another 3 likely. You say the defense and team are likely three years away from contending. you say the defense and team are soft and need some size grit and the team lost speed they just addressed all three of your gripes in one pick. Not to mention silayev will be on the team right in the middle of your proclaimed competition window

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Normally day 2 starts at 10am local time, but today it’s 8:30am. Presumably so some teams can gtfo to the airport. Felt like a dweeb going to sleep early in Vegas.

Ran into a kid I met after the awards show and she said Rutger McGroarty was at the draft. So maybe he’s expecting to be dealt this weeekend.

The wild had #13 on the table for him per Russo, but bailed when zeev was available

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Idk man you seem to change lanes in the middle of the intersection a lot.

Whatever LD they sign in free agency is likely getting a multiple year term, Siegs is here for another 3 likely. You say the defense and team are likely three years away from contending. you say the defense and team are soft and need some size grit and the team lost speed they just addressed all three of your gripes in one pick. Not to mention silayev will be on the team right in the middle of your proclaimed competition window
Are the details really that hard for you to understand the differences?

First you're assuming when this player arrives in 3 or more years that he wont have the growing pains that ALL new defender do...I guarantee you that he will.

Second a week ago I listened to you all tell me how a Siegenthaler or Bahl types is "easily replaced" ....no we celebrate using a 10th overall for one? You want to talk about switching lanes in the intersection?

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
It's difficult to know how the second and early third round goes, but @StevenToddIves , @Guadana . @evnted do you have some names the Devils could/should target with their third round picks?
of the list of players who i think might actually be there (basically just cross-referencing w bobs list):

-shuravin. going silayev and silayev-lite might feel redundant but the value would be too much to pass on
-muggli. lesser end defensive projection but still an elite transitional threat with great physical instincts
-mustard. big target here. speedy, high intensity forechecker with a great shot. maybe a center
-villeneuve. another big one. forechecker who loves to hit and agitate. good scoring upside. probably a center
-bednarik/boilard. center who can skate and play all 200ft feet of the ice. much needed player type in the farm
-he. speed, compete, scoring, and perhaps some upside hidden by being on a poor niagra team
-gojsic/ustinkov. upside swings who still address system needs. neither ranked on bobs list, might even get to pick them later
-kos/ziemer/traff/spellacy. basically different flavors/upsides of the same high compete checking line player
-moysevich/zarubin/nabokov. maybe not with our first 3rd rounder but im fine targeting a goalie and we should be focusing overseas
-might not love the howe/ritchie/zether type players pair with our roster but all would warrant a pick there

theres really no shortage of options/directions right now, and i could easily come up with more. the good about the depth of this years class is that from the 40s to our pick. i really dont think theres that dramatic of a value change. the bad, though, is we need centers, skaters, and forecheckers above all else, so if a couple of those names like mustard/villeneuve go early, its gonna be annoying because i dont think we'll have many other decent options down the board

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad