GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 - June 28th - 7 P.M. / Round 2-7 - June 29th - 11 A.M

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Ok. Let's process the pick a little here.

Devils did not need a puck moving offensive defenseman so from that point of view this pick makes sense.
Kid has size, physical enough and positionally sound on the defensive end. That all makes sense in terms of team fit.
He is an unusually good skater for his size. If he can turn into a Chara type I would eat crow.

I would still have gone Dickinson there. It's just my intuitive choice, having analized video of each player and reading scouting reports. You always go for the safe pick each time every time. I am not a big fan of drafting for potential. And you drafted a russian when you had a canadian stud like Dickinson fall in your lap? It's just a puzzling decision to me. I hope to be proven wrong but this is a pattern of bad picks with Fitzgerald. I don't trust the guy's judgment when picking in the first round. Too many blunders like Holtz, Muk and Stillman.
I think Mukh was a pretty good pick.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
this is legitimately the opposite of the scouting reports on him.

Very weird stuff.

It is. Weird as hell to be arguing the exact opposite of what the scouting report has on him.

It's also crazy this pick we made is being lambasted before anyone really got to watch him play a single game and most barely know a lick about him in detail

I can think of only probably 3 fans here that saw him play with some regularity....

Reactions: My3Sons

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
1000013571.jpg

Imagine letting this man get under your skin

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Muk and Silayev are comparable in the fact that they're both tall Russian LHD.

Beyond that...Muk was considered a 2nd round pick by most and a reach at #20 overall when the Devils selected him. Silayev was largely considered a top 10, or in many cases a top 5 pick, that dropped to NJ at #10.

I get that there may be some disappointment that they didn't go with Bium or Dickinson, who were also highly rated LHD. The fact that Silayev still has 2 years left in the KHL and they still took him probably says they see something really special in this kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad