GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 - June 28th - 7 P.M. / Round 2-7 - June 29th - 11 A.M

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Again, I hate our approach to value under Fitz.

Maybe Yegorov is the guy and we had to use a 2nd on a goalie.

But this draft had a gaggle of intriguing goalies with size who were going to be available throughout.

We could have gotten another impact skater with the 2nd and taken a goalie in the 3rd.

If we got amazing value picks later, I would feel better, but alas, we did not.

But I like Traff and Melovsky.

Graham though, f***ing hell.
Yeah I’m never a fan of goalies before the third round, in part cause the last above average ones we drafted in the first two rounds were Marty and Mike Dunham three decades ago.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I dont know Ilkka son, Traff looks like "zetterlund" kind of player. After that Krutov is a huge miss. Devils should start to draft for upside. I know this players will not pop, but if one will develop - its a huge win for free. We should start to scout our future Bratts and Gritsyuks. Because if some things and some players will work out - we have thin depth to try to replace them.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I love how after the Schmid trade broke the entire thread got derailed and no one talked about any of the players we were still drafting, lol.
Devils picked great timing to finally draft a center lol, but guess he’s another overager? Man Fitz really phoned in the draft this year and just looked at guys over 6’ and 200 pounds. Even for a size advocate like me this is overboard.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
That Tanev move by the Leafs makes me think Pesce is a bonafide lock here, no other team was interested in him other than Leafs from what I've read on Pesce

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Fitz seems to have really panicked after last season. He made some moves that didn't work out but things weren't too bad. Especially considering most of the roster was injured. That's out of his control. But instead of addressing the few small things with more shrewed deals and restocking via the draft, he went off the rails. Even if you think last year was the true Marino and not several previous seasons that show he's actually quite good, and even if you think Schmid and Holtz will amount to nothing, we replaced them with, nothing. We got negative to lateral value, imo, when factoring in who will be drafted with the picks. I hope they are flipped for something valuable and not more low ceiling grinders.

Hell, I don't think toughness was why we really lost to Carolina. It was inexperience and mediocre goaltending. That team would have been fine with more time to cook, a goalie and and some bottom 6 tweaks. It didn't need a nuclear bomb. This is starting to remind me a lot of what the rags did when they started bringing in the Ryan Reeves and Sammy Blais' of the world while dumping Buchnevich.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
My sense is Fitzgerald completely panicked with this draft. He wants size and grit along the boards and had complete tunnel vision. We’d better hope this core takes the next step.
I imagine Fitz interviewed Keefe and one of the first questions he ask him was "what was your impressions playing the new Jersey devils"

Then Keefe said "small, soft, easy to play against. Let them skate around the perimeter and wait long enough until you guys start forcing plays that lead to turn overs and odd man rushes"

Follow up question: what would be your solution be: " bigger bodies with more of a net front presence"

Done.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Fitz seems to have really panicked after last season. He made some moves that didn't work out but things weren't too bad. Especially considering most of the roster was injured. That's out of his control. But instead of addressing the few small things with more shrewed deals and restocking via the draft, he went off the rails. Even if you think last year was the true Marino and not several previous seasons that show he's actually quite good, and even if you think Schmid and Holtz will amount to nothing, we replaced them with, nothing. We got negative to lateral value, imo, when factoring in who will be drafted with the picks. I hope they are flipped for something valuable and not more low ceiling grinders.

Hell, I don't think toughness was why we really lost to Carolina. It was inexperience and mediocre goaltending. That team would have been fine with more time to cook, a goalie and and some bottom 6 tweaks. It didn't need a nuclear bomb. This is starting to remind me a lot of what the rags did when they started bringing in the Ryan Reeves and Sammy Blais' of the world while dumping Buchnevich.
I mean, we didn’t dump anyone as consequential as Buchnevich though. I don’t disagree that we didn’t get the value end of these deals, but clearly Fitzgerald wants to shape this team with a slightly different ethos and identity.

It might work, it might not, but even with Marino what we’re really talking about is around the edges. No one from the core went anywhere.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I mean, we didn’t dump anyone as consequential as Buchnevich though. I don’t disagree we didn’t get the value end of these deals, but clearly Fitzgerald wants to shape this team with a slightly different ethos and identity.

It might work, it might not, but even with Marino what we’re really talking about is around the edges. No one from the core went anywhere.

Holtz has potential to make this deal look as bad as the Buch deal. Yes, no core players. I guess that is something.

I wonder what Colton would have cost...

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Because Vegas had Eichel, Hertl, Karlsson, and Nick Roy. Roy and Karlsson would both be second line centers on a bunch of teams. Cotter was 23/24 with a hundred NHL games. Take some deep breaths.

If that is the case he's not "a 3C, occasional 2C". Maybe that Sam Kasan guy was wrong. Maybe he really is a LW. I think it's a reasonable concern that we just dumped two young guys for not much. I hope I'm wrong but couldn't we have gotten Colton for them? Cotter is younger, but it really concerns me he didn't get to play at all in the playoffs. How does that happen. You play 131 games over the last two seasons our of a possible 164, and play 0 playoff games out of 29 possible.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
If that is the case he's not "a 3C, occasional 2C". Maybe that Sam Kasan guy was wrong. Maybe he really is a LW. I think it's a reasonable concern that we just dumped two young guys for not much. I hope I'm wrong but couldn't we have gotten Colton for them? Cotter is younger, but it really concerns me he didn't get to play at all in the playoffs. How does that happen. You play 131 games over the last two seasons our of a possible 164, and play 0 playoff games out of 29 possible.
Vegas. Cap hit games. Players returning from injuries. Someone should take a seat.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Dennehy says that got the #1 D and #1 G on their board.

On Silayev: "Thrilled to get him at #10, we obviously had him a lot higher. I'll say, we got our #1 D, your #1 goalie on your list. Let's just start there. We feel really good about our draft."

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Dennehy says that got the #1 D and #1 G on their board.

On Silayev: "Thrilled to get him at #10, we obviously had him a lot higher. I'll say, we got our #1 D, your #1 goalie on your list. Let's just start there. We feel really good about our draft."

“We got our #1 punchy-face guy. Faces will be punched.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad