GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 - June 28th - 7 P.M. / Round 2-7 - June 29th - 11 A.M

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I don't really like drafting for bottom-6 traits. It's better to draft higher talented guys that "settle" into being role players like Lazar and the other guy.

If all the guy does is hit, that's not providing much value. They can sign me to come in and hit, I'd be happy to do it. I'd rather get guys that have talent and have room to grow but have fundamentals to fall back on.

Pretty much exactly the opposite of Shero's drafting strategy which was just to take guys with IQ/hockey sense and hope they hit the weights.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I don't really understand why teams make picks like this. you could just trade these picks for players who are in the NHL who already fill that kind of role. Like the Devils themselves just acquired Macdermid for basically two seventh round picks.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
But that’s exactly my point. Why are we drafting potential bottom 6 guys? Take a bunch of guys who have skill and a bit of higher upside. You consistently do that and you have a decent chance at getting a guy or two that move the needle. These bottom 6 guys will probably be pretty insignificant players even if they hit. Maybe just maybe you get a Jesper Bratt or something if you continuously take guys with some upside.
Well, Justin Poirier is still there. Krutov and Kieron Walton too. Not much else in terms of F upside.

The Graham pick makes little sense except as a future guy to drop the gloves on the 4th line, maybe.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Well, Justin Poirier is still there. Krutov and Kieron Walton too. Not much else in terms of F upside.

The Graham pick makes little sense except as a future guy to drop the gloves on the 4th line, maybe.
Ya which still doesn’t make sense because as some else just mentioned you can get a MacDermid for 7th round picks.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Be

Best available:

34 LD Ustinkov
47 RD Pitner
50 RW Poirier
54 LW/C Walton
60 LD Kol
65 LW Swanson
67 LW Krutov
77 LD Whipple

I think that's everyone left on my list but I didn't go as deep this year as in some past seasons.

I like Kol better than Siryatsky.

IMG_8179.jpeg

Graham might be the worst pick since… I don’t know… a very long time.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Re: drafting for "bottom six", I don't think that's valid anymore. It's top 3 lines, then a 4th line. So guys that can slot in as a winger with energy in the 2nd and 3rd lines is valuable and you don't win championships without them.

I am a little disgusted with the Graham pick. It's a throwaway and there were some genuine players 50-70 spots below rankings available. We can get THIS kind of player in FA.

Poirier I get skipping as he's what, 5'8"? But Kieron Walton is 6'5"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad