GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft (HFSJ Edition) - Round 1: Fri, Jun 28 4pm PT/7pm ET | Rounds 2-7: Sat, Jun 29, 8:30am PT/11:30am ET

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
You'd have to think with Halttunen being on the same team it would mean more organization eyes on Dickinson. Probably the more comfortable decision
Just as you say, getting more looks and views. They talked about getting to see him grow through the season.

Technically he did move up.
You are correct. I was speaking from a place after that trade. Some were talking about trading down further.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Just listened to Chris Morehouse and Scott Fitzgerald review for Sharks draft posted by San Jose Hockey Now. There was a good question about what went to the decision between Dickinson and Buium at #11, they straight up said that Dickinson was next on their board/list. Added that they are consistent with the list, since they've been working on that list all year. Great to hear about it since it was a big point of conversation.
I watched this interview on YouTube. I suggest anyone that has the time to watch it, it’s very informative and these guys are believers.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I’m 190% convinced we’re signing Montour on Monday. Mark this down.
I also have a feeling he's our target

He's basically the exact player we need right now, I just wonder how much we'd have to throw at him to convince him to go from the champs to the champs of the lottery

Does he come for less than like $10Mx4Y? What's the absolute least you can offer him to downgrade to such a degree?

I hope he's who they're looking at, for sure

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Indeed. I do think moving early was important. I have a feeling he was either competing or it wouldn't have been available given who dropped.
Imagine if the trade happened during the draft it probably would have been pick #33 and not #42, #33 being Chernyshov and #42 Kleber. Sexy bit of foresight and business

Reactions: Baysick

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I wonder if this draft makes the Sharks a bit more exciting to sign with. Seeing everyone give us an A+ grade and rave about what we did certainly creates some buzz.

Imagine if the trade happened during the draft it probably would have been pick #33 and not #42, #33 being Chernyshov and #42 Kleber. Sexy bit of foresight and business

Yeah in retrospect that trade was f***ing brilliant

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I wonder if this draft makes the Sharks a bit more exciting to sign with. Seeing everyone give us an A+ grade and rave about what we did certainly creates some buzz.
NHL players do not give a crap about the draft. They’re aware of Macklin Celebrini but I guarantee you no pending UFA is gonna find the Sharks having a ‘great draft’ to meaningful when choosing where to sign. When those guys become actual NHLers, then that makes them exciting.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Tough to say. Minnesota only needed a 3rd to move up for Buium. Granted it was only 1 spot. But I don't think the price would have been much on higher.

He's basically the exact player we need right now, I just wonder how much we'd have to throw at him to convince him to go from the champs to the champs of the lottery

Does he come for less than like $10Mx4Y? What's the absolute least you can offer him to downgrade to such a degree?

I doubt the AAV is that high, but the term may be 6 years. Tough pill to swallow but we're gonna have so many D-men on ELCs it shouldn't matter that much.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country

Oh my God. Nobody is offering Montour 10 million a year. Yes I know he scored 70+ a year ago, but that was an outlier year for him

He's a career average 30 point dman who is okay defensively

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Mike Griers trade prowess is absolute hammered dog shit but his drafting is absolute top tier super critical for a rebuild which is looking fast tracked

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
NHL players do not give a crap about the draft. They’re aware of Macklin Celebrini but I guarantee you no pending UFA is gonna find the Sharks having a ‘great draft’ to meaningful when choosing where to sign. When those guys become actual NHLers, then that makes them exciting.
While I think you're right, the one thing I sense just from listening to media folks out there talking about the Sharks is that there seems to be a general changing of the tide with attitudes toward the team--people being (accurately!) very optimistic about our future, talking about how things are truly changing, how in just a few years it's going be a totally different story.

So while there may not be a direct impact on free agents now, I do think it's going to help simply that to players, but probably moreso their agents, the franchise is viewed in a much more favorable light than a year ago. I'm sure we're still highly undesirable to free agents this offseason, but considering where we've been in recent years, I'll take any positive vibes!

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Mike Griers trade prowess is absolute hammered dog shit but his drafting is absolute top tier super critical for a rebuild which is looking fast tracked
I don't think people realize how much the contracts were handcuffing Grier. Sure, the Kunin trade and Reimer/Barabanov non-deals weren't good, but that's ultimately nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Ultimately I think the move that has the highest chance of blowing up in his face is trading down in 2022.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Tough to say. Minnesota only needed a 3rd to move up for Buium. Granted it was only 1 spot. But I don't think the price would have been much on higher.

I doubt the AAV is that high, but the term may be 6 years. Tough pill to swallow but we're gonna have so many D-men on ELCs it shouldn't matter that much.
Grier said max 4 years but would he do that for Montour?

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
As long as the Sharks are on the rise and have tons of cap space, they might finally sign their first ever elite UFA in his prime with no previous connection to the team.

Probably not in the near future, but I could see it one day in the Celebrini era.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Again, not saying Montour is worth that, on the open UFA market he probably gets between $7M-$8M per, I'm just saying it might take that kind of offer for a team in our position to entice him to come here

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
While I think you're right, the one thing I sense just from listening to media folks out there talking about the Sharks is that there seems to be a general changing of the tide with attitudes toward the team--people being (accurately!) very optimistic about our future, talking about how things are truly changing, how in just a few years it's going be a totally different story.

So while there may not be a direct impact on free agents now, I do think it's going to help simply that to players, but probably moreso their agents, the franchise is viewed in a much more favorable light than a year ago. I'm sure we're still highly undesirable to free agents this offseason, but considering where we've been in recent years, I'll take any positive vibes!

I also think it depends on the term they’re considering, like, if they think Sharks are going to be awful for 4 years vs. okay, maybe they’ll have one more bad year but then they’ll have a ton of high end rookies coming in, okay, maybe it’s a bit more interesting than like, “and perhaps I shall one day get to play with Merkley one day!”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad