GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft (HFSJ Edition) - Round 1: Fri, Jun 28 4pm PT/7pm ET | Rounds 2-7: Sat, Jun 29, 8:30am PT/11:30am ET

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Draft starts at 1am here in Germany and I have to get up early Saturday to take care of my little daughter… start time is unideal for me as well. That’s why i checked YouTube and the video of round one of last year is about 3 hours and 11 minutes.
Well, here's one guy who REALLY loves Grier moving up with that second pick!

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Roughly how many minutes after start would that be for all you draft-watching veterans?
First pick may be around 10 minutes in (4:10pm PT). Teams have 5 minutes to get their pick in. So barring any trades and team requested delays, maybe 5:15pm ish.
Bettman: "San Jose has traded the first overall selection to Anaheim for the 3rd overall selection and a 2028 7th round selection."

Later in the draft

Bettman: "Starting next year, in the 2025 draft, the draft will consist of 5 rounds."
First, that would have to be an update to CBA.

Second, the league would convert those late round picks to compensatory picks at the end of the draft order. (Similar to what they did going from 9 rounds to 7.)

Reactions: tiburon12

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
My draft dream:

1: Mack
11: One of Dickinson/Buium/Perekh (Yak if not)
Sharks trade 33 and 53 to grab a pick in the 20 range: Stian Solberg.
85: Top goalie available
4th+two 5th: Best D available.

Mack, 2 likely top 4 D, and a reasonable goalie prospect. Quality over quantity as well now. Lets be aggressive and get 3 very good players in the 1st round and go from there.

Yum Yum. At this point, I want them to draft two top D after Mack. They reallllllly need to stack this cupboard and Buium+Solberg would be a nice pair. I hope they spend the 4th and 5ths on D as well. Lets get 5 new D prospects including two high end ones and be all set on the back end cupbard going forward.

We have Mack, Smith, Eklund, Musty, Bystedt, Edstrom, Graf, and others all 22 or younger. We have nothing on D worth hollering about. Cagnoni maybe. Shakir perhaps. But not much. Throw in Dickinson and Solberg along with a few other late rounders and suddenly it might be a whole lot more interesting in a couple years when the forwards are also coming into their Solid early 20s.

Reactions: bullslugg and DG93

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
4PM will be one of the most busiest time at work for me. Anyone has any idea based on past history when we expect to see 1OA and 11OA picks selected? Do they pick right at 4PM or they do some talk first? 11OA will be trickier. Any rough estimate for 11OA?

Reactions: Sandisfan

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

Kids nickname should be “Bar down”

I gotta say, this is not impressive in the slightest. I can do that....
I would say there will be at 15 minutes of time before the Sharks go on the clock. Then 5 minutes between picks (plus about 2 minutes at least teams to announce the pick). It is a 3+ hour event so I’m guessing 11 won’t happen till at least 60 minutes in and more likely 75 minutes into the draft.

First pick may be around 10 minutes in (4:10pm PT). Teams have 5 minutes to get their pick in. So barring any trades and team requested delays, maybe 5:15pm ish.
Awesome, thanks. One hour in seems to be ideal to get some of the excitement leading up to 11

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Grier wants a Dman with this pick. Wouldn't surprise me to see him try to move up again.

We can package 11th + 53rd + Vegas 2025 1st(Hertl Trade) to Columbus for 4th overall. Go For Sam Dickenson or Zeev Buium

Hell, We have the caproom to take that awful Merzlikins contract off their hands if that's too much and we don't want to los that many picks. We need to reach the cap floor. Hell, Laine wants out and they are paying him a fortune at 8.7m, we could take him too. That would give Columbus room to sign Gaudreau's old pal Lindholm until Fantilli is ready to be #1 C

Great Makohead Shork

Apr 25, 2022
Merry Sharksmas everyone! I'm sure most of us are getting at least one gift on our list this draft day season.

In the future I hope we look back at today as the second most important day in franchise history. Only after the day Macklin and whoever else we draft bring us the cup. Today's draft could go any which way, but here's how I see the top half shaking out:

Mock:
  • San Jose Sharks: Macklin Celebrini
  • Chicago Blackhawks: Artyom Levshunov
  • Anaheim Ducks: Zeev Buium
  • Columbus Blue Jackets: Ivan Demidov
  • Montreal Canadiens: Cayden Lindstrom
  • Utah Hockey Club: Anton Silayev
  • Ottawa Senators: Beckett Sennecke
  • Seattle Kraken: Sam Dickinson
  • Calgary Flames: Tij Iginla
  • New Jersey Devils (Trade): Carter Yakemchuk
  • San Jose Sharks: Zayne Parekh
  • Philadelphia Flyers: Konsta Helenius
  • Minnesota Wild: Berkly Catton
  • Buffalo Sabres: Michael Brandsegg-Nygard
  • Detroit Red Wings: Stian Solberg
  • St. Louis Blues: Michael Hage

My personal top 16:

1. Macklin Celebrini
  2. Zeev Buium
  3. Ivan Demidov
  4. Cayden Lindstrom
  5. Zayne Parekh
  6. Beckett Sennecke
  7. Berkly Catton
  8. Anton Silayev
  9. Sam Dickinson
  10. Artyom Levshunov
  11. Carter Yakemchuk
  12. Tij Iginla
  13. Konsta Helenius
  14. Michael Brandsegg-Nygard
  15. Igor Chernyshov
  16. Stian Solberg

Tier 1 (Pick 1) Tier 2 (Picks 2 - 5) Tier 3 (Picks 6 - 13) Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if any names in the top half became the second best player after Celebrini. Have a feeling this will be a solid draft at the top.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
d0456fa0-88f6-41cb-a8f9-2920035147e9_text.gif

rideaucrusher21

Aug 8, 2008
CA
Pronman released a mock overnight and had us taking Parekh at 11, who he mentioned is the most likely of the top 6 D to fall out of the top ten. Wouldn’t mind that at all. He said Solberg, Yakemchuk, and Eiserman are also possibilities. Said he would be surprised if sharks don’t go D though.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Pronman released a mock overnight and had us taking Parekh at 11, who he mentioned is the most likely of the top 6 D to fall out of the top ten. Wouldn’t mind that at all. He said Solberg, Yakemchuk, and Eiserman are also possibilities. Said he would be surprised if sharks don’t go D though.
If Grier traded up to 11 to take Solberg I’d lose it.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
The more I read about Yakemchuk the more I think we moved up to get him, not Eiserman. Big, mean, RHD, high ceiling… he fills a huge need and having him and Muhk on the same team will be fun. Cagnoni will hide in their pocket.
Issue is that he isn't mean. He's big and plays pretty soft while not playing much defense is the critique on him.

Reactions: vortexy

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Issue is that he isn't mean. He's big and plays pretty soft while not playing much defense is the critique on him.
I don't think this is a fair assessment of Yak. He definitely plays mean and is hard to play against in his own zone. The critique is that he gets out of position chasing hits/the play on occasion, and his transition game D needs improvement because he's not great in transition skating, possibly needs to improve his mobility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad