GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft (HFSJ Edition) - Round 1: Fri, Jun 28 4pm PT/7pm ET | Rounds 2-7: Sat, Jun 29, 8:30am PT/11:30am ET

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I wonder if there's an outside chance that Silayev could fall. If the Ducks don't take him...and then Pronman says Calgary at 9 might be Russian-averse...and the Devils apparently want a forward.

I mean, there are still a number of possibilities in there for him, but if all it takes is for him to not go in the top 8 for him to get to 11, then that could be one wild scenario for us and it doesn't feel completely crazy to picture it.

Reactions: Makoshark

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Even if we didn’t have #11 I’ll be absolutely fascinated by how the top-10 shakes out. I genuinely feel like literally anyone could drop other than Levshunov and Demidov.

Silayev: Wasn’t at the Dan Milstein camp (unlike Demidov), longer contract in the KHL, most teams won’t have seen him live; I feel like this guy should have the “Russian factor” concern much more than Demidov, who speaks English and expressed a clear desire to come to NA next year
Lindstrom: Back injury, could fall like Gabe Vilardi in 2017
Buium: The smallest of the six D, NCAA factor might prevent teams like Ottawa/Calgary from going for him
Catton: Tiny winger
Iginla: Perhaps limited scoring upside
Dickinson: Perhaps limited upside
Yakemchuk: Skating and D is ugly
Parekh: slight, perceived defensive concerns
Sennecke: Extremelt boom-bust

anthonyyy

Aug 11, 2011

#
NameFtInWeightShotProjectionDraft Profile link
17Stian Solberg62205LDtwo-way D, great skater, top 20x
19Adam Jiricek63182RDpot. big min. two-way D, on the second pair, long injury set him backx
22EJ Emery63183RDpotential to become elite Shutdown D, with good puck skills. Perfect to pair with your offensive D.x
30Dominik Badinka63185RDphysical, high-effort and high-intelligence NHL shut down defenseman with good skating and breakout passingx
31Charlie Elick63202RDpotentially top four NHL D, Shut down D with speed and physicality. little offensive potential.x
37Alfons Freij61197LDOffensive D w/ high-risk play-style, can really skate & dangle, but with defensive red flags like shying away from physicalityx
38Matvei Shuravin64172LDShut-down D, strong skater, offensive potential, bad shotx
41Will Skahan65215LDphysical shutdown D, very good skater, great positioning, great vision, but limited in creativity with puck, hard but inaccurate shot.x
42Henry Mews60189RDOffensive D, exceptional skater, but can unravel when faced with adversityx
43Leo Sahlin Wallenius60180LDoffensive D, non-physical, inconsistentx
44Cole Hutson510165LDGreat at zone entries, but avg skating/undersized puts a big question mark on him, despite tourney success and relation to Lane H.. Ranked all over the place.x
47Aron Kiviharju510184LDPMD, injury made him miss most of the season.x
48Leon Muggli61177LDMobile shutdown Dx
49Harrison Brunicke63184RDtwo-way, big & mobile, 2nd pair Dx
51Adam Kleber66215RDphysical, solid defense, some offensive instincts, good but slower skaterx
53Jesse Pulkkinen66219LDOverager, Offensive D, good skater, error prone (but improving)x
54Daniil Ustinkov61201LDdefensive D, good passer, no red flagsx
59Veeti Vaisanen61188LDdefensive D, exceptional skater, some hidden offensive potentialx
60Ben Danford62191RDShutdown D.x

Thanks for this! I am a big fan of Jiriceck, just the way he skates and can handle the puck. I see more 2-way ability from him than Solberg. He just needs to improve his shot. But if either fall to the late 20's, I hope he can move up for them.

Otherwise with our 2nd, I'm hoping for Badinka, Freij, or Hutson. If we go forward, Hage (doubt he falls), Stiga, Parascak, Basha, Surin, Gridin, Hemming are all good choices.

Reactions: NiWa

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
32 thoughts said looks like the Ducks target at 3rd is Buium. Whackkkk
Surprising. They have Mintyukov and Zellweger already as two way/offensive defensemen. I thought they were the more likely of teams to go after Silayev since he's projected to be a bomb stay at home puck transition defenseman with less offensive upside.

Ask and you shall receive. My summaries are basic, so go straight to the draft profile link to find a detailed breakdown, thanks for three excellent amateur scouts on the HFboards over at the NJ Devils forums. One of them is a former semi-professional draft writer, and he was raving about Solberg BEFORE the late tourney success made him rise on everyone else's draft boards.

#
NameFtInWeightShotProjectionDraft Profile link
17Stian Solberg62205LDtwo-way D, great skater, top 20x
19Adam Jiricek63182RDpot. big min. two-way D, on the second pair, long injury set him backx
22EJ Emery63183RDpotential to become elite Shutdown D, with good puck skills. Perfect to pair with your offensive D.x
30Dominik Badinka63185RDphysical, high-effort and high-intelligence NHL shut down defenseman with good skating and breakout passingx
31Charlie Elick63202RDpotentially top four NHL D, Shut down D with speed and physicality. little offensive potential.x
37Alfons Freij61197LDOffensive D w/ high-risk play-style, can really skate & dangle, but with defensive red flags like shying away from physicalityx
38Matvei Shuravin64172LDShut-down D, strong skater, offensive potential, bad shotx
41Will Skahan65215LDphysical shutdown D, very good skater, great positioning, great vision, but limited in creativity with puck, hard but inaccurate shot.x
42Henry Mews60189RDOffensive D, exceptional skater, but can unravel when faced with adversityx
43Leo Sahlin Wallenius60180LDoffensive D, non-physical, inconsistentx
44Cole Hutson510165LDGreat at zone entries, but avg skating/undersized puts a big question mark on him, despite tourney success and relation to Lane H.. Ranked all over the place.x
47Aron Kiviharju510184LDPMD, injury made him miss most of the season.x
48Leon Muggli61177LDMobile shutdown Dx
49Harrison Brunicke63184RDtwo-way, big & mobile, 2nd pair Dx
51Adam Kleber66215RDphysical, solid defense, some offensive instincts, good but slower skaterx
53Jesse Pulkkinen66219LDOverager, Offensive D, good skater, error prone (but improving)x
54Daniil Ustinkov61201LDdefensive D, good passer, no red flagsx
59Veeti Vaisanen61188LDdefensive D, exceptional skater, some hidden offensive potentialx
60Ben Danford62191RDShutdown D.x

Great list. Thank you

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Silayev: Wasn’t at the Dan Milstein camp (unlike Demidov), longer contract in the KHL, most teams won’t have seen him live; I feel like this guy should have the “Russian factor” concern much more than Demidov, who speaks English and expressed a clear desire to come to NA next year
But have you considered that he's big?

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Even if we didn’t have #11 I’ll be absolutely fascinated by how the top-10 shakes out. I genuinely feel like literally anyone could drop other than Levshunov and Demidov.

Buium: The smallest of the six D, NCAA factor might prevent teams like Ottawa/Calgary from going for him
I can see Demidov drop like Michkov did last year. I know slightly different cases but just for the Russian reasons. And it does not help his case either that his team is not willing to help him be in the KHL (like they did with Michkov).

Reactions: Star Platinum

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
But have you considered that he's big?
You make a compelling point.

I can see Demidov drop like Michkov did last year. I know slightly different cases but just for the Russian reasons. And it does not help his case either that his team is not willing to help him be in the KHL (like they did with Michkov).
Sure, I think Demidov could fall within the top-10, but I’m talking about guys with a snowball’s chance in hell of being there at 11 and I think there’s zero chance Demidov is.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007

Helenius- 3rd line C
Eiserman- 35 goal scorer or bust?

Some see Demidov falling out of the top 5-7...which seemed unfathomable, but Michkov did, and he's a better player (albeit Demidov has a bit lesser 'not coming concerns')

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Helenius- 3rd line C

Some see Demidov falling out of the top 5-7...which seemed unfathomable, but Michkov did, and he's a better player (albeit Demidov has a bit lesser 'not coming concerns')
I didn’t list Helenius or Eiserman because I think there’s a 90% chance both are available at 11. Wouldn’t be a fall.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Helenius- 3rd line C

Michkov signed that 3 year KHL deal and seemed meh on coming to NA so the not coming concerns were a bit more visible.
Demidov has been out and about excited to come to NA and pretty much neon flag he ill not be a KHL guy lol.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Michkov signed that 3 year KHL deal and seemed meh on coming to NA so the not coming concerns were a bit more visible.
Demidov has been out and about excited to come to NA and pretty much neon flag he ill not be a KHL guy lol.
Yeah, a bit lesser totally undersells it doesn't!

Reactions: 67 others

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I wonder if there's an outside chance that Silayev could fall. If the Ducks don't take him...and then Pronman says Calgary at 9 might be Russian-averse...and the Devils apparently want a forward.

I mean, there are still a number of possibilities in there for him, but if all it takes is for him to not go in the top 8 for him to get to 11, then that could be one wild scenario for us and it doesn't feel completely crazy to picture it.
Ducks are gonna need a D man with Fowler aging out

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I don't know much about these prospects anymore, but I'd be hesitant to take a small defenseman or one with skating issues at #11...but I suppose if you want to target a high-ceiling guy, he will have some problems or else he'd be a top-5 pick!

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country

I mean, its possible I guess.

but the Ducks have that young forward group of Zegras, Carlsson, McTavish and just added Cutter Gauthier while losing a D in Drysdale.

They have been claiming Dmen on waivers and gudas and Fowler are both mid 30's.

With Zellweger and Mintyukov already good offensive D prospects/Already there, it seems like a match made in heaven that they would go for Silayev, who is more of a defensive Dman who can transition the puck well.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012

I'm sure you've posted this previously but it's been lost in 1000 other posts. Of who you think could be available at #11 who are your top 2?

I will judge the pick based on your answer :)

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I’m starting to think that Grier moved to 11 so if the draft starts to work in what he wants, offering 11 is that much better. Teams would be drawn to that.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Could you imagine, 1-Celebrini, 2-Levshunov, 3-Buium and those A-holes in Carolina come at 4 with a trade to columbus and take Demidov in Montreal's face?… this is a WWE kind of story, real heel move

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad