2024 NHL Entry Draft Discussion, June 28-29th

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
1715126872507.png

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Ernst & Young did $50 Billion in revenue last year. Anyone who thinks they’d jeopardize their global reputation for some rinky dink mom and pop operation like the NHL is cuckoo.

I watched the majority of their MHL games and the entirety of their MHL playoffs. I like both players. I like But more than Simashev.

I’m glad we drafted both.
I agree, but we are talking about hfboards here. Everything is made up and the truth doesn't matter.:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: kickback256

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Agreed. Both will be better than Keller, especially Cooley. The above plan is flawed though because there are no guarantees on getting first overall. The team is also too good to finish that low anyway.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

This is a dumb take by Rich. We are not nearly that bad.

What Rich doesn't acknowledge is that within 2-3 years it is very likely that at least one of Cooley and/or Guenther will be more impactful than Keller. Possibly both. We don't have a true superstar who can win a game by themselves. You only get those by winning a lottery. We are going with depth and St. Louis has proven that depth can win a cup and beat those teams with stars/superstars.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
What Rich doesn't acknowledge is that within 2-3 years it is very likely that at least one of Cooley and/or Guenther will be more impactful than Keller. Possibly both. We don't have a true superstar who can win a game by themselves. You only get those by winning a lottery. We are going with depth and St. Louis has proven that depth can win a cup and beat those teams with stars/superstars.

I don't think this franchise will ever have a truly generational player, so I agree with you - the challenge is to recreate in the aggregate what a McDavid or Matthews would bring to the team. And that's what BA has been doing with the draft capital - flooding the system with high-percentage picks to make so that hopefully, eventually, the team doesn't just have one superstar combo like McD and Drai, but an entire 18-man team that can run roughshod over you in any given game without giving opponents a "breather" line.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Logan Cooley had 20g in his rookie season.

Other players who had 19-21g in year 1:
Andrei Svechnikov
Nico Hischier
Mikko Rantanen
Anze Kopitar
Patrick Kane
Jarome Iginla

Guenther's rookie season numbers sorta got messed up but let's pretend he played a full season last year, it was year 1 and he met his ~35g pace. Evgeni Malkin is 50th all-time with 33g.

Sooo...generational talents, maybe not but...2 players as good or better than Keller (who had 23g in his rook season)...think we are covered.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm tired of constantly changing it so that means its time to post my list:

1) C Celebrini
2) RW Demidov - I don't like him for us but anyone who is classified as the next Kucherov deserves consideration at the top of the draft. If we go BPA, he's BPA at 2.
3) D Silyayev - I know we have 2 behemoths coming in the pipeline but this guy is a unicorn. Size and skill. We aren't passing if he's available.
4) D Buium - If he's bigger I think he's more of a BA type player but you can't argue how well he placed this year in the NCAA.
5) C Lindstrom - If you think he's a top line C you put him at 2OV.
6) RD Levshunov - Some seem to question his decision making. He has all the attributes though that you look for in a 1D. He likely goes ahead of where I have him in the top 4.
7) D Dickinson - Just a solid all around minute munching D that plays with the London factory of producing top NHL players.
8) RD Yakemchuk - Big, mean, and has a shot and can produce offense. Solid player who would solidify a D for years.
9) C Helenius - Creative C. Size is an issue. Projects as a 2C which is why I have him here.
10) RW Iginla - Amazing finish to the season. Could go top 5 based on it.
11) RW Senneke - Great OHL Playoffs and isn't quite done yet. Could sneak into that 6-10 range.
12) RD Parekh - I am alone in my ranking. He could go top 5 he is that well thought of by others. Me? I don't think he's the next Karlsson and I wonder what he projects as a NHLer when he doesn't have the time and space he currently enjoys in junior. That being said, he gets a hell of a lot of time and space in junior and there likely is a reason for that. If I'm wrong on a player it will be this guy.
13) LW Eiserman - One dimensional player but it's a hell of a dimension that is in short supply.
14) C Catton - If you think he's a C he's going top 10. I think he's a winger which is why I have him here.
15) Luchanko - Solid two way C with great effort. You love to watch him play.
16) RW Greentree - Big powerful winger but he struggled at U18's.
17) C Hage - Playing making C
18) RD Jirecek - injured most of year. was viewed at one point to be a lock in the top 10.
19) LW CHernysov
20) Connelly
21) Brandseggg-Nygard

Last edited:

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
All the post lottery mocks I could find...

OutletWriterUtah 6 Pick
The AthleticCorey PronmanAnton Silayev
The Hockey WritersLogan HornAnton Silayev
Natura HoyJane EastickAnton Silayev
The ScoreKyle CushmanCarter Yakemchuk
The Sporting NewsBryan MurphyCole Eiserman
FlohockeyChris PetersSam Dickinson
NHL.comAdam KimelmanSam Dickinson
The Hockey NewsRyan KennedyTij Iginla
TSNCraig ButtonTij Iginla
Sportsnet.caSam CosentinoTij Iginla
SportsNautAlan SelavkaZayne Parekh
SBNationJames DatorZayne Parekh
Daily FaceoffSteven EllisZeev Buium
Bleacher NationTab BamfordZeev Buium
NHL.comMike MorrealeZeev Buium

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I'm tired of constantly changing it so that means its time to post my list:

1) C Celebrini
2) RW Demidov - I don't like him for us but anyone who is classified as the next Kucherov deserves consideration at the top of the draft. If we go BPA, he's BPA at 2.
3) D Silyayev - I know we have 2 behemoths coming in the pipeline but this guy is a unicorn. Size and skill. We aren't passing if he's available.
4) D Buium - If he's bigger I think he's more of a BA type player but you can't argue how well he placed this year in the NCAA.
5) C Lindstrom - If you think he's a top line C you put him at 2OV.
6) RD Levshunov - Some seem to question his decision making. He has all the attributes though that you look for in a 1D. He likely goes ahead of where I have him in the top 4.
7) D Dickinson - Just a solid all around minute munching D that plays with the London factory of producing top NHL players.
8) RD Yakemchuk - Big, mean, and has a shot and can produce offense. Solid player who would solidify a D for years.
9) C Helenius - Creative C. Size is an issue. Projects as a 2C which is why I have him here.
10) RW Iginla - Amazing finish to the season. Could go top 5 based on it.
11) RW Senneke - Great OHL Playoffs and isn't quite done yet. Could sneak into that 6-10 range.
12) RD Parekh - I am alone in my ranking. He could go top 5 he is that well thought of by others. Me? I don't think he's the next Karlsson and I wonder what he projects as a NHLer when he doesn't have the time and space he currently enjoys in junior. That being said, he gets a hell of a lot of time and space in junior and there likely is a reason for that. If I'm wrong on a player it will be this guy.
13) LW Eiserman - One dimensional player but it's a hell of a dimension that is in short supply.
14) C Catton - If you think he's a C he's going top 10. I think he's a winger which is why I have him here.
15) Luchanko - Solid two way C with great effort. You love to watch him play.
16) RW Greentree - Big powerful winger but he struggled at U18's.
17) C Hage - Playing making C
18) RD Jirecek - injured most of year. was viewed at one point to be a lock in the top 10.
19) LW CHernysov
20) Connelly
21) Brandseggg-Nygard
My first choice is Dickinson. Then Yakemchuk followed by Buium. At least one of the three will be available at our spot.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
My first choice is Dickinson. Then Yakemchuk followed by Buium. At least one of the three will be available at our spot.
rt and i have discussed this ad nauseum but I joked constantly about ranking the first 6 D in this draft by pulling names out of a hat. Yakemchuk is going to be a 10+ year physical presence on the right side. That's a hell of an active option especially for this franchise that needs RD specifically. I put him behind the other two because Yakemchuk is an "older" more mature prospect who has to work on his D zone coverage and skating. Both areas he can and will improve on.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I guess if we assume the top 5 are actually being picked top 5 then it comes down to Dickinson vs Buium vs Yakemchuk. It's a tough decision but I think I would choose Dickinson.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
rt and i have discussed this ad nauseum but I joked constantly about ranking the first 6 D in this draft by pulling names out of a hat. Yakemchuk is going to be a 10+ year physical presence on the right side. That's a hell of an active option especially for this franchise that needs RD specifically. I put him behind the other two because Yakemchuk is an "older" more mature prospect who has to work on his D zone coverage and skating. Both areas he can and will improve on.
I am really torn...Buium looks so good. The numbers Yakemchuk is putting up is insane. I do get he is an older pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad