Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I once experimented with the Sham Sharron "draft model" for the Jets - basically picking the highest scoring 18-year-old CHL prospect available with each of the picks we've had since 2011. No adjustments, no exceptions, nothing. You can't draft like that - I recall us "picking" just one defenseman in 10 years - but when it comes to picking forwards, your scouts should be able to f***ing demolish a system like that.

Funnily enough, us drafting like that would have netted us a couple of our existing picks - Petan in 2013, Ehlers in 2014, Perfetti in 2020. It would have destroyed our 2012 and 2013 records - exchanging Trouba, Helle, Morrissey and Copp for William Carrier and practically f*** all else - but also unearthed Point in 2014, as well as Tkachuk and DeBrincat (of course) in 2016 to replace Laine and Connor. Our Scheifele-Lowry core would be Couturier-Pageau, and decent depth forwards such as Beauvillier, Conor Garland, Arthur Kaliyev, and Philipp Kurashev would also be Jets. We would have been worse off, but there were some highly productive stars on offer for us.
You think we would be worse off if we had Point, Tkachuk, DeBrincat, Couts, Beauvillier, Pageau, and Garland instead of Trouba, Morrissey, Helly, Copp, Scheif, Lowry, etc? Point and Tkachuk are by far the best two players available either way.

Looking at your work, I would say I would almost rather that team, the only thing that would hurt is not having Helly.

Reactions: hockeyarena

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I heard what Pronman said about head down and tunnel vision and I respect Cory but the scouting reports I read were different. We’ll see who is right I guess.

The scouts I have read really like his decision making with the puck, he makes quick reads about first pass, does well in both leading and supporting the rush. They seem to like his IQ.

The place he has the most opprotunity to grow is defensively. He reads the game less well that way but they did say he improved allot in that aspect as the season went along. I didn’t really get boom bust vibe more the “he’s going to be in the NHL the question is how good can he be”.

Keep in mind I am talking out of my ass cherry picking the reviews from the guys I usually follow the most who may be wrong. I have not watched the kid enough to have my own “informed” opinion.
I love the content Pronman and Wheeler provide on the Athletic, but I've discounted Pronman as a talent evaluator for a number of years now. Still enjoy the writeups though. He seems to be the anomaly on Fonzie. Everyone else has him top 40 or so. And a few very high.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Calgary... Wow

Yeah that Flames had a heck of a draft. Lots of picks left over the next few years too.

If they were smart they'd unload Kadri, Huberdeau, Backlund and Weegar soon as well. Though they seem to be under the impression they aren't rebuilding.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Yeah that Flames had a heck of a draft. Lots of picks left over the next few years too.

If they were smart they'd unload Kadri, Huberdeau, Backlund and Weegar soon as well. Though they seem to be under the impression they aren't rebuilding.
The ownership group wants to never rebuild. One owner put in this way. He's not allowed to mention the word rebuild.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The ownership group wants to never rebuild. One owner put in this way. He's not allowed to mention the word rebuild.

Yeah it's crazy. You trade Markstrom, Hanifin, Tanev, Lindholm, Zadorov and Toffoli but you're not rebuilding.

It's like if they pretend it's not happening the fans won't notice.

That's not even to mention Tkachuk and Gaudreau departing, though at least they got something back for Tkachuk.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Yeah it's crazy. You trade Markstrom, Hanifin, Tanev, Lindholm, Zadorov and Toffoli but you're not rebuilding.

It's like if they pretend it's not happening the fans won't notice.

That's not even to mention Tkachuk and Gaudreau departing, though at least they got something back for Tkachuk.
Maybe gaudreau ends up back in Calgary. Disaster so far in Columbus.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I never expect people to know of/be fans of random unknown bands I like lol

Haven't heard much from them lately but they did do a North American tour a few years back

The Hu got pretty widely known just because of how different they are. I know people who are strictly country fans that have at least listened to them out of curiosity.

Reactions: Buffdog

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
3rd time in 5 years the team picks 4 players in the draft. Weakest draft capital since the team moved to Winnipeg. We've only drafted 7 players in the draft once in the past 7 years.

Cost of being a constant Stanley Cup favorite, I suppose.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The Hu got pretty widely known just because of how different they are. I know people who are strictly country fans that have at least listened to them out of curiosity.
Yeah, I don't see Mongolian throat chanting becoming a mainstream thing lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad