Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
If you only drafted Norwegians this year you would have done OK.

Or he becomes Jonathan Marchessault and leads your team in scoring en route to a Cup and a Symthe. Bigger isn't always better.
He drives a Lambo. No way could he ever be a Jet.

Last edited:
Reactions: WolfHouse

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Again it depends on team upcoming needs - I'm saying draft BPA with a preference to D and natural C - if you're in the top 10 of course all bets are off

A good dman plays 18-24 mins a night... look how many of those minute munchers were not top 15 picks... now look how many top six forwards are not top 15 picks

A center can be moved to wing - you needs scouts who can identify who the real centers are though... lambert looks like a hit but that's all we've had for a while

Never say never but outside the top ten - I'd really really focus on D and C

Again I think this draft year is blah... but I am watching schneider and lundell v perfetti because they were my choices

Ceulemans and lambos were my preference to lucius but injuries happen and I wasn't against the pick

I wanted lambert over mcgroarty so I'm not complaining

Last year was meh but if it's Barlow or Moore and Moore is a natural C then yeah Moore.
Regarding Moore over Barlow …. then people would be complaining about another Sub 6 ft player and an American from the USNTDP going the college route.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I don't think you're lying, I just wasn't sure if you were just looking back in hindsight and saying "we should have picked so and so"
I'm def on record with Lambert over McGro and Lundell over Perfetti - should be able to find my Ceulemans, Lambos, etc post in archives... I wouldn't have picked Wyatt Johnson...

Barlow - I mean I'm not fully against the pick - dont think that draft had much...

Def taker Salo over Lane Hutson

I did not have Brock Faber over Torgersson but he was the next D picked if we were going positional and not 'BPA'

You just look at the drafts and start realizing there are way more hits with post-1st round D than there are top six forwards...

I've definitely moved over to the trade your picks side of the debate

Reactions: Buffdog

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Well I have to say this is the first year ever that I didn't follow or see 1 second of the 2nd day of the draft., just wasn't feeling it. I am looking forward to Free Agent Frenzy on Monday with 172 TSN personalities looking at their smartphones.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Regarding Moore over Barlow …. then people would be complaining about another Sub 6 ft player and an American from the USNTDP going the college route.
To me Barlow over Oliver Moore was a huge surprise because the Jets have always been so heavy on USNTDP and he seemed like another Duchene type player destined to be a 2C type. PLD was just in the midst of being on his way out.

I was surprised but prefer to let time settle these debates whenever possible haha. Probably would have bet 500 bucks to win 100 that we would have grabbed a Moore.

Jets ended up with a similar guy in Lambert and maybe they knew what they had if things went right.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'm def on record with Lambert over McGro and Lundell over Perfetti - should be able to find my Ceulemans, Lambos, etc post in archives... I wouldn't have picked Wyatt Johnson...

Barlow - I mean I'm not fully against the pick - dont think that draft had much...

Def taker Salo over Lane Hutson

I did not have Brock Faber over Torgersson but he was the next D picked if we were going positional and not 'BPA'

You just look at the drafts and start realizing there are way more hits with post-1st round D than there are top six forwards...

I've definitely moved over to the trade your picks side of the debate
I liked Lundell over Perfetti too

I don't do enough research on these kids to have much of an opinion on one over another for the most part, especially after the top 10. There is just so much variance in development that I find it hard to say "x player should have definitely been taken over y player" at the time of the draft

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I do it for every draft for personal reasons to see if I can hit better than the Jets. Sometimes I do, sometimes I dont.
No doubt. Some years I think I'm smart because I wanted to pick DeBrincat over Stanley. And some years I would have taken a Jansen Harkens over Morrissey I think?

The less you keep track of W-L the easier it is to feel smart haha!

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I liked Lundell over Perfetti too

I don't do enough research on these kids to have much of an opinion on one over another for the most part, especially after the top 10. There is just so much variance in development that I find it hard to say "x player should have definitely been taken over y player" at the time of the draft
Yeah, Lundell is who I wanted too. I liked Perfetti’s skill but preferred the bigger more pro ready player who was also a centre while skating was one of Perfett’s red flags.

Last edited:

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Reading up on each player and comparing where various sites had them ranked it looks like Chevy got good value in the draft considering we didn’t have a 1st. As best I can tell anyways out at the lake sitting on the deck drinking margaritas with company that are pretty casual hockey fans. Though they were excited by the rumours of Laine possibly coming back.
lol...laine isnt that stupid....he would never come back as long as chevy is in charge and all the crap he took from the media

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Would agree
You need RHD then draft one

Lets say the scenario is you have Ehlers on the board or Julius Honka. Who you taking? You need the RHD more and you already have some great wingers on the team and in the system. You and damn near everyone else have Honka as the next best RHD.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
To me Barlow over Oliver Moore was a huge surprise because the Jets have always been so heavy on USNTDP and he seemed like another Duchene type player destined to be a 2C type. PLD was just in the midst of being on his way out.

I was surprised but prefer to let time settle these debates whenever possible haha. Probably would have bet 500 bucks to win 100 that we would have grabbed a Moore.

Jets ended up with a similar guy in Lambert and maybe they knew what they had if things went right.

I think when Max Giese left the org that might have changed up how we draft a bit. He was very effective as our US scout and I’m not sure who replaced him.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I once experimented with the Sham Sharron "draft model" for the Jets - basically picking the highest scoring 18-year-old CHL prospect available with each of the picks we've had since 2011. No adjustments, no exceptions, nothing. You can't draft like that - I recall us "picking" just one defenseman in 10 years - but when it comes to picking forwards, your scouts should be able to f***ing demolish a system like that.

Funnily enough, us drafting like that would have netted us a couple of our existing picks - Petan in 2013, Ehlers in 2014, Perfetti in 2020. It would have destroyed our 2012 and 2013 records - exchanging Trouba, Helle, Morrissey and Copp for William Carrier and practically f*** all else - but also unearthed Point in 2014, as well as Tkachuk and DeBrincat (of course) in 2016 to replace Laine and Connor. Our Scheifele-Lowry core would be Couturier-Pageau, and decent depth forwards such as Beauvillier, Conor Garland, Arthur Kaliyev, and Philipp Kurashev would also be Jets. We would have been worse off, but there were some highly productive stars on offer for us.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thank you for your opinion- it is valued but it's your opinion.

Heinola and freij have very similar scouting reports - the boom or bust and tunnel vision makes him closer to niku if we are honest

And sure the Jets need another Tanev or more likely AJF... perfect - depth wins cups ;)

Two picks gets you John Marino - sign me up any day.

I have dug in a bit on scouting reports on Freij and I am not getting a Heinola vibe from him. I am getting more Salomonsson feel. His vision reviews are good especially offensively from what I have read from more than one scout? Admittedly, I have not spent as much time on this draft class since we traded away our 1st but I like the upside potential on Freij. We’ll see how it all works out I guess. I like that we drafted a D man and I am a little less hung up on handedness since anyone taken out of the 2nd round is probably 3 to 5 seasons away from playing and who knows what our handedness need will be by then.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I have dug in a bit on scouting reports on Freij and I am not getting a Heinola vibe from him. I am getting more Salomonsson feel. His vision reviews are good especially offensively from what I have read from more than one scout? Admittedly, I have not spent as much time on this draft class since we traded away our 1st but I like the upside potential on Freij. We’ll see how it all works out I guess. I like that we drafted a D man and I am a little less hung up on handedness since anyone taken out of the 2nd round is probably 3 to 5 seasons away from playing and who knows what our handedness need will be by then.
The Pronman report is very different from the ones you've read... I haven't seen anything to say he sounds like salomondsson but I hope you're right. I've only seen him described as a boom or bust pick that has issues with hockey sense and tunnel vision. Good in offensive zone and not good on D

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The Pronman report is very different from the ones you've read... I haven't seen anything to say he sounds like salomondsson but I hope you're right. I've only seen him described as a boom or bust pick that has issues with hockey sense and tunnel vision. Good in offensive zone and not good on D

I went and watched a few vids on him and even a few shift by shifts.

He actually reminds me A LOT of a bigger defensive version of Ehlers. He's doesn't have Ehlers top end speed but he is still very fast, accelerates extremely well and has high end ability to maneuver through traffic and create lanes all while having great stickhandling ability to maintain possession at high speeds. He has really strong finishing ability in close but his shot from range isn't amazing. He drives the net on rushes quite a bit and shows no fear in doing so. He loves jumping into the rush when he can and does so often.

His defensive game in terms of gap control and physicality aren't great but he already has solid projectable size at 6'1, 196. Good chance he ends up being a little bulkier in the 205-210 range and possibly around 6'2 when it's all said and done so we can potentially help him find a way to use his size to his advantage a bit more. The real high end ability he displays on defensive is his ability to get to pucks quickly and win battles down low with his skating, stickhandling and evasiveness. He may not be overly physical himself but he doesn't seem to shy away from taking a hit to make a play either.

His hockey sense issues likely come from how he attacks with the puck. If he doesn't find lanes he often just kind of throws the puck at the net or makes a bad pass to relieve pressure if he does run out of room. He seems to want to maintain a north/south attack quite a bit which can lead to turnovers if it's not there. I think this can be worked on, if you don't find the seem to work on the cycle more. It's been an issue with Ehlers as well. If they run out of space they often just throw the puck away rather than look to keep a cycle going.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I went and watched a few vids on him and even a few shift by shifts.

He actually reminds me A LOT of a bigger defensive version of Ehlers. He's doesn't have Ehlers top end speed but he is still very fast, accelerates extremely well and has high end ability to maneuver through traffic and create lanes all while having great stickhandling ability to maintain possession at high speeds. He has really strong finishing ability in close but his shot from range isn't amazing. He drives the net on rushes quite a bit and shows no fear in doing so. He loves jumping into the rush when he can and does so often.

His defensive game in terms of gap control and physicality aren't great but he already has solid projectable size at 6'1, 196. Good chance he ends up being a little bulkier in the 205-210 range and possibly around 6'2 when it's all said and done so we can potentially help him find a way to use his size to his advantage a bit more. The real high end ability he displays on defensive is his ability to get to pucks quickly and win battles down low with his skating, stickhandling and evasiveness. He may not be overly physical himself but he doesn't seem to shy away from taking a hit to make a play either.

His hockey sense issues likely come from how he attacks with the puck. If he doesn't find lanes he often just kind of throws the puck at the net or makes a bad pass to relieve pressure if he does run out of room. He seems to want to maintain a north/south attack quite a bit which can lead to turnovers if it's not there. I think this can be worked on, if you don't find the seem to work on the cycle more. It's been an issue with Ehlers as well. If they run out of space they often just throw the puck away rather than look to keep a cycle going.
This sounds a lot like pionk

Still begs the question as to how/why we let chisholm walk this season just to draft a project that maybe could replace him in 4 years

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This sounds a lot like pionk

Still begs the question as to how/why we let chisholm walk this season just to draft a project that maybe could replace him in 4 years

I think he's a lot faster than Pionk, better finisher and a better puck rusher as well at the same age and doesn't play as physical.

He's really quite elusive reminds me a bit of OEL when he was younger but OEL had a much more refined two-way game at the same age.

Reactions: Thechozen1

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I once experimented with the Sham Sharron "draft model" for the Jets - basically picking the highest scoring 18-year-old CHL prospect available with each of the picks we've had since 2011. No adjustments, no exceptions, nothing. You can't draft like that - I recall us "picking" just one defenseman in 10 years - but when it comes to picking forwards, your scouts should be able to f***ing demolish a system like that.

Funnily enough, us drafting like that would have netted us a couple of our existing picks - Petan in 2013, Ehlers in 2014, Perfetti in 2020. It would have destroyed our 2012 and 2013 records - exchanging Trouba, Helle, Morrissey and Copp for William Carrier and practically f*** all else - but also unearthed Point in 2014, as well as Tkachuk and DeBrincat (of course) in 2016 to replace Laine and Connor. Our Scheifele-Lowry core would be Couturier-Pageau, and decent depth forwards such as Beauvillier, Conor Garland, Arthur Kaliyev, and Philipp Kurashev would also be Jets. We would have been worse off, but there were some highly productive stars on offer for us.

Interesting to ready. Thank you!

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I heard what Pronman said about head down and tunnel vision and I respect Cory but the scouting reports I read were different. We’ll see who is right I guess.

The scouts I have read really like his decision making with the puck, he makes quick reads about first pass, does well in both leading and supporting the rush. They seem to like his IQ.

The place he has the most opprotunity to grow is defensively. He reads the game less well that way but they did say he improved allot in that aspect as the season went along. I didn’t really get boom bust vibe more the “he’s going to be in the NHL the question is how good can he be”.

Keep in mind I am talking out of my ass cherry picking the reviews from the guys I usually follow the most who may be wrong. I have not watched the kid enough to have my own “informed” opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad