Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Pretend there was expansion and 37 is the SCF loser pick.

Surixon and ps241 are a reflection of the Jets in general; they won't dig down deep when the chips are down.

There are no chips, that's the problem :laugh:

Joking aside I will be interested to see who we get at #37 to complete the PLD haul

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets built draft success they've had on nailing their 1st round picks in the early years... Scheifele, Trouba, Morrissey, Ehlers, Connor.

More recently, their 1st round success has been less impressive (or the jury is still out)... Laine, Stanley, Vesalainen, Heinola, Perfetti, Lucius, McGroarty, Barlow, Lambert... Some of that is because the picks were a bit later, but they still need a few of those to really pop.

Overall, their best recent picks in terms of value were a bit later... Salomonsson (#55), Samberg (#43), Lambert (#30) and Chibrikov (#50).

If they don't trade for a 1st this year, I hope they can still nail that #37 overall pick. They need some Dallas type of drafting success / luck, along with good development of their current prospect pool.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I would love to see Chevy recoup some draft picks this year even if they are mid to late picks. Iafallo, Stanley, Kupari should each garner some extra darts at the board and clear the runway for guys like Chib, Lambert, Salo, Lucius and Rudy.
Even trading the negotiating rights for Croissant should get a late pick.
I’m tired of going into the draft with few picks. The more darts the better.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
In addition to doing better with picks, I think the Jets need to be more committed to the development process in terms of creating NHL roster space for their prospects as they are ready. I think they have missed opportunities to get Heinola more NHL exposure, and therefore haven't really been able to assess his NHL potential. Their usage of Perfetti has also been underwhelming. Shutting him out of the line-up by renting Toffoli and then benching him for Gustafsson was a poor choice, in my view. I hope the coaches are not as rigid in their perspectives about a "top 6 / bottom 6" forward deployment and give younger talented forwards more opportunities in different roles. Unfortunately, Arniel's public interviews to date indicate that he's fully committed to a "top 6" and a checking line (Lowry's), which I think will really limit options for optimizing player usage.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
This year since our organization decided to go to Seven Eleven and spend the entire paycheque on 649 tickets and smokes the family won’t eat come draft day.

I will PVR the Draft just in case we make a trade. I don’t need to watch other teams get better while we continue to sunset.

I never follow day 2 until after the draft is done anyways.

I have a subscription to Black Book so I will do all my research post draft this year once we have picks.

I can at least comfort myself in our post draft and develop era with the deep meaningful run our team had in the playoffs this year.

:baghead:

(The End) :laugh:
Yeah, pretty disappointing when you have playoff failure followed by a empty draft day.

It is crazy that the Jets keep dealing away picks year after year. In the last 5 seasons we have only had 25 total picks. By comparison, Arizona (Utah) had 45. This draft the Jets have 5 again vs Utah's 13.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
In addition to doing better with picks, I think the Jets need to be more committed to the development process in terms of creating NHL roster space for their prospects as they are ready. I think they have missed opportunities to get Heinola more NHL exposure, and therefore haven't really been able to assess his NHL potential. Their usage of Perfetti has also been underwhelming. Shutting him out of the line-up by renting Toffoli and then benching him for Gustafsson was a poor choice, in my view. I hope the coaches are not as rigid in their perspectives about a "top 6 / bottom 6" forward deployment and give younger talented forwards more opportunities in different roles. Unfortunately, Arniel's public interviews to date indicate that he's fully committed to a "top 6" and a checking line (Lowry's), which I think will really limit options for optimizing player usage.

Agreed. Add in blocking Snerg from a top 4 role despite arguably being good enough for it. Imo the org has been piss poor in terms of NHL integration and growth for prospects the last half decade. Imo they have also become incredibly knee jerk in their decision making on young players.

We go from Cole is going to be given a legit opportunity at center to him being put on the wing 3 games into the year. They also seemed to panic over his first real scoring slump and banish him to the 4th line/press box. Contrast it with how the Canes handled Jarvis. The year prior he went 23 games without a goal and Brindamour stuck with him in the top 6. He went on rebound in the playoffs that year and he took a big step forward this one.

This org used to know this type of patience with its young players, but that seems to have gone out the window lately. I get Mark is likely worried about attendance and that might be playing a role in theborg being much more short term focused, but that is just going to result in more pain later.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
They have been terrible at it for the most part, we have lost some low end players like Kovacevic/Chisholm but it might also be due to the fact that I think we lost some of drafting shine from 2016 until more recently. There is a whole lot of guys banging on the door to get into the lineup and I would like to see them make room for them

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
In all probability pick 37 will be years away if ever. I would like Chevy to stop trading away first round picks for the foreseeable future, this team needs to restock especially on D
Same (or similar) could be said if we were picking at 28. At that spot, a pick has about a 50/50 chance of playing 100 games in the NHL

I suppose you could say that with two picks in the 28-37 range, there's a higher chance of one of them becoming meaningful. I've never liked the strategy of trading first round picks for rentals, even late 1sts

I would have rather had Chevy try to package 28 with some other picks/prospects to target a guy like Frost who *may* be an OK fit at 2C long term and if not, could still be a productive top 9 guy

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
One big isssue also is the “Development” part.

Unlike most other teams, the Jets do not have any outside skating coaches or any skills coaches on staff to work with young players during the season or during the summer.

As an example, a number of teams employ PEP or similar skills coaches during the season and arrange summer sessions for their players. Most teams have a skating coach they bring in during the season and have their players work with that skating during the summer. The Jets don’t do this.

Players are left on their own to do any additional work outside of team practice.

Most teams do a significantly better job of developing players skills and weaknesses.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
One big isssue also is the “Development” part.

Unlike most other teams, the Jets do not have any outside skating coaches or any skills coaches on staff to work with young players during the season or during the summer.

As an example, a number of teams employ PEP or similar skills coaches during the season and arrange summer sessions for their players. Most teams have a skating coach they bring in during the season and have their players work with that skating during the summer. The Jets don’t do this.

Players are left on their own to do any additional work outside of team practice.

Most teams do a significantly better job of developing players skills and weaknesses.

Good point. I know Cole has three coaches he employees on his own (strength, skills, and skating) but am unsure about what our other prospects do. Should it be the players job to do all this on their own, should the org, or should it be a hybrid model derived by both team and player.

Reactions: NA Hockey

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
IMO

All players have their own local strength coach in the offseason. The Jets strength and conditioning coaches should be locked in with each players strength coaches during the offseason. Not sure if that happens

As for skills and skating, teams should employ each during the season for players to work with and create a plan specific to each players needs. The team should help create the plan. The team should make those coaches available to players in the offseason. If that isn’t possible (ie Euros) the team hired coaches should be talking to the players local coaches to make sure training is consistent. This doesn’t happen with the Jets to the best of my knowledge.

This should be an area where the Jets can get an edge not a place where they are behind. It’s not crazy expensive and will save money in the long run.

Just my two cents.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Hey, at least we didn't sign PLD to an 8 yr 8million dollar deal.

Aside from that it's all bad. I hope there's a good RD available at whatever pick we're at.
Technically we did! :sarcasm:

1718906037848.png

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They have been terrible at it for the most part, we have lost some low end players like Kovacevic/Chisholm but it might also be due to the fact that I think we lost some of drafting shine from 2016 until more recently. There is a whole lot of guys banging on the door to get into the lineup and I would like to see them make room for them
Agree. It seems that Chevy has been deferring to a couple of strong-willed veteran coaches (Maurice and Bowness) who both had fairly rigid views about player roles, line set-ups, and the use of younger players. But that's in contrast to a franchise that says it wants to build on a draft and develop model. That dissonance is starting to create some weaknesses in the overall organization. I hope Arniel has a somewhat different viewpoint, but I'm concerned that he also has a fairly rigid perspective on line structures. The Jets could try to build a forward group that outmatches other teams down the line-up, but as long as they insist on having a de facto checking 2nd line (Lowry) and a non-used 4th line, they really don't have much flexibility to bring in and use younger talent to give them some spark.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
We were 4th in the league.
I had/have no problem with trading for picks. I didn't care for the players we picked up but have no problem with going for it.
Fair.

Now I hope Chevy can pull a rabbit out of somewhere and trade spare parts / undesirable assets for picks!

Pionk to Utah for a 2nd?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We were 4th in the league.
I had/have no problem with trading for picks. I didn't care for the players we picked up but have no problem with going for it.
I agree with this. Generally, I'm more concerned with how the Jets have managed the development of a few prospects than I am with the draft capital and drafting process.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad