2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I did see Wheeler's mock draft with Emery that high and it made me think of you and Jux. I guess I'm curious if y'all think that's crazy or not. Cuz I'm not super into Yakemchuk but just from a stats perspective, Emery at 14 seems kinda crazy but I could be convinced.
Thank you!! The reason I'd be down with it is that everyone on the USNTDP apparently says he's far and away the hardest guy to go against. He has very little offense, but he moves very smoothly, he's big, athletic, dev curve is solid, and showed some development on the puck-moving and passing front in the back half of the year apparently (all this from not much watching -- Jux has watched him and likes him a lot but I think at 33, not sure at 14).

I mean, this profile sounds a lot like Silayev, difference being EJ is playing the equivalent of the MHL not the KHL... although Silayev in the MHL looked good but not amazing especially with the puck, so... all I'm saying is I wouldn't hate it.

I know Yak has poor defense on tape, but (with no substance to back it up) I think he's gonna figure out the D and be real pain to play against. I honestly hope the Ducks don't pick him. It's mostly hunch.

I agree with Grinner above that this is currently seen as a reach, but if Wheeler is right and he drops into the mid-teens by draft day, I think this is potentially a Grier pick (but so is Chernyshov/MBN).

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Even with Celebrini and Smith, we still need more prospects so I'd still take BPA at 14 or trade back for more picks. If Marner wants to come here, we should wait for him to hit free agency but if he's going to command 10+, I'm passing. Not doing that for a winger. I'd sooner do that for Karlsson over Marner.

We could always shop Marner at the deadline and get a pick package in return instead of just trading back, this would mostly be for the purpose of getting Couture off our books.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I bought my draft tix and my complete impulse buy Celebrini 71 jersey. God help me if he chooses a different number.

I was a bit sad nobody took my "EJ Emery at 14" bait. It's intriguing. Wheeler thinks he'll be a riser through the combine and interviews.
I think the “right” place for Emery is like 22nd, so I wasn’t really shocked to see him at 17.

14 is definitely too high for him, but it’s no secret that I like the player a ton. His U18 was pretty flawless and he’s the type of player teams are desperate to have.

To whoever suggested 14 for Marner, no way in hell. He wouldn’t re-sign and you aren’t getting a better asset than 14 for him at the deadline. I recognize that in a vacuum he’s far more valuable than 14, but it just makes no sense for the Sharks.

I’d poke around trying to sign him as a UFA, though.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Still hoping we can somehow move into the top 10 and grab one of the higher end pieces available there. Our options at 14 aren’t particularly inspiring, though Sennecke looks pretty interesting.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
This is the correct take

Sharks take Smith and Celebrini on the roster if they are willing to sign

Both either or both may choose NCAA
They would legit be our 2nd and 3rd best forwards after Granlund.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Still hoping we can somehow move into the top 10 and grab one of the higher end pieces available there. Our options at 14 aren’t particularly inspiring, though Sennecke looks pretty interesting.
Sennecke reminds me of Robert Thomas, some dynamic elements there, creates plays for himself and others

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We could always shop Marner at the deadline and get a pick package in return instead of just trading back, this would mostly be for the purpose of getting Couture off our books.
We don't need Couture off our books. He either helps the team get to the floor or we can use him as an LTIR candidate. Someone should be paying us to take Couture off our books. I don't think that if we gave up 14 for Marner that we'd get it back at the deadline. And I don't think it's a good idea to invest in him long term either.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
The Sharks are having a draft party at the tank. I’m on the fence. Should I see the draft from the tank or the sphere? Those of you who have attended a draft before: Is it fun to be there? Should I make the trip?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The Sharks are having a draft party at the tank. I’m on the fence. Should I see the draft from the tank or the sphere? Those of you who have attended a draft before: Is it fun to be there? Should I make the trip?
Tank will be cheaper, and surrounded by fellow fans. Sphere will be expensive and surrounded by fans that don't understand the difference between a hockey arena and a football field.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
We don't need Couture off our books. He either helps the team get to the floor or we can use him as an LTIR candidate. Someone should be paying us to take Couture off our books. I don't think that if we gave up 14 for Marner that we'd get it back at the deadline. And I don't think it's a good idea to invest in him long term either.

Not right away no, but his third and fourth years would be nice to have freed up when we're ready to compete again.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Tank will be cheaper, and surrounded by fellow fans. Sphere will be expensive and surrounded by fans that don't understand the difference between a hockey arena and a football field.
You make a good point. I have friends that will go to the tank but I don’t know anyone who will go to the sphere for the draft. That said, my wife convinced me to go. I just purchased my ticket. @TheBeard I’m down to meet up before the draft.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Have any events at the Sphere been televised yet? I have a feeling it's going to look like shit on TV.

• Wow

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Have any events at the Sphere been televised yet? I have a feeling it's going to look like shit on TV.
Not that I know of.

You make a good point. I have friends that will go to the tank but I don’t know anyone who will go to the sphere for the draft. That said, my wife convinced me to go. I just purchased my ticket. @TheBeard I’m down to meet up before the draft.
When do you get in, day of?

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
I dunno, trees that grow in the wind have stronger branches than those that don't... Perhaps getting hit will cause his physical development to go into overdrive. Then Rick hooks him up with some Gamma rays and the next thing you know we're calling him The Incredible Hulkibrini...
Bedard had a broken jaw. It was a set back for him.

Are youths more likely to get a broken bone if they are still growing? If so, I would prefer another year. Also would a broken bone hinder future growth? Say one leg shorter than another? Or a difference in muscle mass? Basically, if the chance of injury is higher due to age or body development, it would be better for him to wait a year.

Torrey Mitchell always had permanent problems after his leg injury, and he was already an adult. It would be wise to reduce risk of unnecessary injury because Sharks will still be playing for a lotto pick next year.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
One is a day trip to SJ
The other is a weekend/ couple of days in Vegas. The difference is day and night

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Bedard had a broken jaw. It was a set back for him.

Are youths more likely to get a broken bone if they are still growing? If so, I would prefer another year. Also would a broken bone hinder future growth? Say one leg shorter than another? Or a difference in muscle mass? Basically, if the chance of injury is higher due to age or body development, it would be better for him to wait a year.

Torrey Mitchell always had permanent problems after his leg injury, and he was already an adult. It would be wise to reduce risk of unnecessary injury because Sharks will still be playing for a lotto pick next year.
There's always going to be a risk. Without it, there's no reward.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007

I hate Vegas. I'm going to the draft. Here's why.

1. This is the last draft in person. The next drafts are going to be NFL style, everything remote. This is the last chance for a while.

2. We may never pick 1OA again.

3. While Vegas sucks, the sphere is a grotesque spectacle that I would like to experience. Because of 1/2 this seems like a once in a lifetime experience that's worth being in person for.

4. We have two picks in the first round. We get the amazing fireworks at the beginning and then we get a huge surprise halfway through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad