Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
2024 Draft Profile:

LW Eriks Mateiko, Saint John QMJHL

In terms of pure physical strength, this 6'5-210 Latvian import is on the short-list for the top handful of players in the 2024 draft class. Once he plants his skates in front of the net, he's essentially immovable. I've seen QMJHL defensemen trying to knock him away from their goaltenders and Mateiko just stands there as if he isn't even noticing the two-handed crosschecks. It looks like a squirrel trying to move a redwood tree.

Mateiko is not the most skilled player in the CHL, but there is certainly upside. Foremost we must mention his shot -- Mateiko has a quick release and one of the hardest slap-shots and one-timers in the entire Canadian junior circuit. I'd like to see him use it more, as usually his offensive game is pretty simple -- forecheck and knock defenders off their feet until Saint John gains possession, then crash the crease. Mateiko has improved over the course of the year in deflections, and actually was just shy of a point-per-game player at 23-20-43 in 49 games.

Mateiko has another strength to add to his shooting and physicality, which is that he's actually a very good defensive forward. This is attributable to a strong work ethic, and he's also a pretty smart player. I'd call his passing and puck handling "serviceable", though is overall offensive game is raw to say the least. Mateiko is maybe an average skater. His top speeds are pretty good, but he takes awhile to get going and sharp changes of direction are not exactly his forte.

I think Mateiko is a player you draft in Rounds 6/7 with the idea he could be a physical 4th liner who also plays good defense and offers big-time physicality in your bottom 6. His ultimate upside would involve some skating improvements, because if he rounded his game enough to play with higher-level talent, his shot is actually disgustingly good and between that and the net front presence, he could score some goals at the highest levels.

“I think Mateiko is a player you draft in Rounds 6/7”

IMG_7426.jpeg
*Shrug*
He moves his feet = 2nd round for Pronman lol
(& since he’s Latvian, has a heart like a lion, obviously.)

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

View attachment 876927*Shrug*
Well, I'm glad Mateiko has a high-profile fan in Corey Pronger. I really like him as a project if he can improve his skating. The shot, hustle and physicality are all certainly there in spades.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
As a mummy scout how do you rank Imhotep and Akenhaten in a redraft and why does Hutson go ahead of them.
Yeah. Thats nice.

Hutson is little younger, I believe he should be freshier, more attractive for audience and better skater because Imhotep and Akenhaten had less ice in their environment. But experience is on their side. I don't remember their height and weight so if they are bigger than Hutson(its not a high standard) some gms will prefer them. Its always on specific preferences on the draft. Ducks love to draft bigger players and Hutson is below 6.0. Both Akenhaten and Imhotep should be okay to live in warmer state, so at least Ducks looks like a team who will not draft Hutson over them

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
2024 Draft Profile:

C/LW Ollie Josephson, Red Deer WHL

The team that picks Josephson certainly won't be swinging for upside, but they'll have a serious shot at a competitive bottom 6/PK option and potential fan favorite. The 6'0" 180lb pivot is generally regarded as a mid/late round option, in no small part due to his poor statistical profile and lack of offensive tools, but he brings an enviable, and projectable, high pace forechecking game to the table.

Josephson gives his team an engaged and competitive 200ft effort on every shift he takes. Simply put, this kid does not give up on plays. He's always fighting for possession and willing to play through contact to move the puck up the ice. What he may lack in raw skill he more than makes up for with pure determination to win battles and get pucks toward the net. He does not shy away from going anywhere on the ice, be it fighting for space outside the crease or battling hard in the corners, and he's as willing to sacrifice the body to block a shot as he is to take a big hit to get a clear. Josephson is not quite top of the class fast, but his explosiveness and high tempo game certainly make him feel that way. He's constantly moving on the ice and looking to generate pressure via quick burst attacks. Josephson is great on the puck, both in terms of making good decisions with it, thanks to his strong vision and risk-averse game, as well as literally in terms of possessing it, thanks to his crafty stickwork and proactive physical game. Josephson always knows where to be on the ice and in all my viewings, I don't think I've seen him take one shift off.

While there's no shortage of positives to say about how he plays, it's a much briefer discussion about what he actually brings to the table. Simply put, this is not a skilled player. His shot, when he even uses it, is pretty much only a threat in tight, and even then it's really limited to just a quick (and telegraphed) wrister. Red Deer was not the most prolific offensive team, I really do get that, but this is a player who did not hit double digit goals until almost March(!) and he didn't miss a single game this season. His playmaking game gives a bit more hope, but even then it's almost always very simple, move play forward in transition or find teammates in front type plays. He has a few other quirks in terms of occasionally fumbling puck recepetions or overestimating just how much traffic he can navigate, but the pure skill level is certainly the greatest drawback here.

Ultimately, I believe these types of players are necessary for winning teams, particularly ones like ours looking to get faster, stronger on the forecheck, and better in 50/50 battles. Josephson is incredibly annoying to face not because he's dirty or a pest, but because he simply just won't go away. He's always looking to push play, fiercely competitive on both sides of the puck, and basically playing every shift like it's his last. The offensive concern is very real, there's no denying that, but the one positive we do have is his instincts, largely, are sound. He's not overshooting, he's not misfiring on passes, he knows the lanes he needs to drive to be effective. The outlook is probably too limited for me to advocate using one of our earlier picks to grab him, but Josephson is a player I'd be happy to add as the draft went on.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Hage isn't small, and he's extremely athletic. I'm not saying he'd be my pick if I were the Devils, but he should absolutely be in consideration at #10 overall.
I would think about him if Buium, Nygard and Helenius would not be available. Very specific situation.
The Draft simulator has been updated with Mckenzie's and Button's rankings
Draft Sim
At least one from Buium, Dickinson, Lindstrom or Helenius is available from 10 tries.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Well, I'm glad Mateiko has a high-profile fan in Corey Pronger. I really like him as a project if he can improve his skating. The shot, hustle and physicality are all certainly there in spades.
Which, given his size. probably bumps him up to mid round, as opposed to late round though no? Maybe even moreso in the eyes of Fitz given his recent drafting.

View attachment 876927*Shrug*
Funny that his questionable skating is evident even in a still picture.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Which, given his size. probably bumps him up to mid round, as opposed to late round though no? Maybe even moreso in the eyes of Fitz given his recent drafting.

Funny that his questionable skating is evident even in a still picture.
Well, perhaps. Usually with big power/interior forwards lacking the high-end skill to be considered in the first 50 or so picks, the best tool is the power forward style itself.

This is to say, teams covet a player with size and physicality who can soften defenses and crash creases, regardless of the surrounding abilities. I mean, most NHL front offices would prefer such players to skate well and think the game at a reasonable level, but what gets their attention with an Eriks Mateiko is clearly the "6'5-210" at the top of his profile.

What makes Mateiko interesting is that he actually possesses an elite-level NHL tool -- his shot. The release and power are simply stunning. This kid can absolutely launch the puck.

But let's say for the sake of argument Mateiko had all the same tools, but was 5'11-175. Would anyone be considering him as early as Round 2 or Round 3?

The thing about having a shot as your best tool -- something I'm always cautious about -- is that you need surrounding tools to be able to even get a shot off at the higher levels. In short, without the hockey IQ to find open seams for your teammates to dish the puck to you, you can't get a shot off. Without the hands and feet to be able to elude defenders and create shooting lanes, you can't get a shot off. It doesn't matter if a player has the best shot on the planet earth, if they only get off 2 shots a game from low-danger areas, they are still not going to score many goals.

The reason I like Mateiko in particular is that he's big and physical and plays a highly competitive game. He's a battler with intensity which extends beyond just hitting people. I would certainly draft him late, but it would be with the realization that he has work to do even to make it as an NHL 4th liner, especially with the skating. If the Devils had their hearts set on drafting a power forward in Round 3, I think there will be more polished ones available, like Carson Wetsch or Kieron Walton. But I'd be fine if the Devils got him with one of their 5th rounders.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Well, perhaps. Usually with big power/interior forwards lacking the high-end skill to be considered in the first 50 or so picks, the best tool is the power forward style itself.

This is to say, teams covet a player with size and physicality who can soften defenses and crash creases, regardless of the surrounding abilities. I mean, most NHL front offices would prefer such players to skate well and think the game at a reasonable level, but what gets their attention with an Eriks Mateiko is clearly the "6'5-210" at the top of his profile.

What makes Mateiko interesting is that he actually possesses an elite-level NHL tool -- his shot. The release and power are simply stunning. This kid can absolutely launch the puck.

But let's say for the sake of argument Mateiko had all the same tools, but was 5'11-175. Would anyone be considering him as early as Round 2 or Round 3?

The thing about having a shot as your best tool -- something I'm always cautious about -- is that you need surrounding tools to be able to even get a shot off at the higher levels. In short, without the hockey IQ to find open seams for your teammates to dish the puck to you, you can't get a shot off. Without the hands and feet to be able to elude defenders and create shooting lanes, you can't get a shot off. It doesn't matter if a player has the best shot on the planet earth, if they only get off 2 shots a game from low-danger areas, they are still not going to score many goals.

The reason I like Mateiko in particular is that he's big and physical and plays a highly competitive game. He's a battler with intensity which extends beyond just hitting people. I would certainly draft him late, but it would be with the realization that he has work to do even to make it as an NHL 4th liner, especially with the skating. If the Devils had their hearts set on drafting a power forward in Round 3, I think there will be more polished ones available, like Carson Wetsch or Kieron Walton. But I'd be fine if the Devils got him with one of their 5th rounders.
23 goals in 49 games on a team bereft of skilled players isn't bad though. Better then Wetsch and a lot better then Kieron. And Wetsch doesn't bring the size element.

Now I've been pushing for needing to get more skaters in the mix. It hasn't been a focus at all of Fitz recently, he's gone the other way actually. But I also acknowledge big physical guys can be important pieces as well. So if we draft some good skaters early in the draft, a guys like Mateiko in the 4th would be cool.

Idc how the rest of the draft goes but if fitz doesn't draft Miroslav Satan Jr I'm gonna be pissed!
Ya, we whiffed on Satan, but time to make amends by drafting the son of Satan.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
23 goals in 49 games on a team bereft of skilled players isn't bad though. Better then Wetsch and a lot better then Kieron. And Wetsch doesn't bring the size element.

Now I've been pushing for needing to get more skaters in the mix. It hasn't been a focus at all of Fitz recently, he's gone the other way actually. But I also acknowledge big physical guys can be important pieces as well. So if we draft some good skaters early in the draft, a guys like Mateiko in the 4th would be cool.

Ya, we whiffed on Satan, but time to make amends by drafting the son of Satan.
Does he get the nickname of little Nicky?

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Looked him up, another huge kid at 6'7".

Numbers look OK. Played for Slovakia at U-18 had 4 assists in 7 games.

See he is ranked as the 51st euro skater. Maybe puts him in the 100-150 range overall? So maybe a 5th rounder?
Yeah his size and U18 intrigue me. I'd definitely take a gamble on him.

I think a team takes him earlier than he's projected based on his size and pedigree. Wouldn't be surprised to see him off the board early 4th round

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I know goalies are really hard to project, but Ilya Nabokov really intrigues me. Overage goalie that had a solid season with a 2.15GAA and .930SV% in 43 games. Just turned 21. Had a monster playoffs to help his team win the championship.

With our goalie woes, it's worth a pick IMO if we have the opportunity.

Edit: Postseason stats were 1.82GAA and .942Sv% in 23 games.

Goalies are a crap shoot, but if I have the chance to take a guy with monster stats in the KHL and championship experience over a CHL goalie with meh stats but good athleticism, I would lean more toward the KHL netminder

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I know goalies are really hard to project, but Ilya Nabokov really intrigues me. Overage goalie that had a solid season with a 2.15GAA and .930SV% in 43 games. Just turned 21. Had a monster playoffs to help his team win the championship.

Without looking at the rest of the league, I'd say those numbers are better then solid.

Only 6', and I'm sure that plays into why he hasn't been drafted yet, but I'd take a late round flyer on those numbers.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

On paper, he reminds me a bit of Ilya Konovalov. Edmonton took him #85 after Konovalov put up a .930 KHL season as a 21 year old. Not sure if the pandemic delayed it, but he played in the AHL in 2021-22 and didn't find immediate success. They mutually terminated the ELC after that season and Konovalov returned to Russia.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
On paper, he reminds me a bit of Ilya Konovalov. Edmonton took him #85 after Konovalov put up a .930 KHL season as a 21 year old. Not sure if the pandemic delayed it, but he played in the AHL in 2021-22 and didn't find immediate success. They mutually terminated the ELC after that season and Konovalov returned to Russia.
Could be, goalies are a total crap shoot in my opinion. He could also be the next shesterkin who is similar stature and put up a little better numbers in his 21yo KHL season.

Since he's got some solid experience, I'd take a chance on him over some CHL goalie. We'd also likely see him sooner too which would help with this teams timeline

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
1717000600885.png

yeah, Konovalov.

Good luck with taking a late round flyer on those numbers.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Could be, goalies are a total crap shoot in my opinion. He could also be the next shesterkin who is similar stature and put up a little better numbers in his 21yo KHL season.

Since he's got some solid experience, I'd take a chance on him over some CHL goalie. We'd also likely see him sooner too which would help with this teams timeline

Seems like a rough year for NA goalies, or at least no obvious blue chips. We'll see if Nabokov is available for our 3rd (#74). Pyotr Kochetkov went #36 as a third time eligible, although he has more prototypical size.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Excellent numbers from Nabokov in the MHL in each of the previous 3 seasons as well. Even after 2 season with that level of performance I would have expected someone would have taken a chance.

I wonder if 6' is an exaggeration.

Reactions: evnted and Guadana

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2024 Draft Profile:

RW/C Alexander Zetterberg, Orebro J20 SWE Jr.

Zetterberg has gotten a lot of attention from draft writers for myriad reasons. Of course his last name will get you, but he's actually no relation to Red Wings legend Henrik Zetterberg. Hit statistics, however, are real -- 21 goals and 37 assists for 58 points in just 45 games. Zetterberg has a bushelful of NHL skills which have several writers lauding him for the 2nd round of the 2024 draft despite his small stature at 5'8-155.

There can be no doubt about Zetterberg's high level of talent. He's a terrific skater, both quick and fast, with multi-directional agility and rapid edges. He's an outstanding puckhandler, with hands as quick and agile as his feet. He's also a high-level passer, able to thread the needle with creativity and precision. He's great at zone entries and a force on the power play. He's fun player to watch when he has the puck.

However, Zetterberg is not so much fun to watch without the puck. Like many 100% finesse players, he's a perimeter player who does not embrace the physical aspects of hockey. As focused as he is on the offensive side of the puck, he loses this focus in the defensive zone, often jumping early and losing sight of his man. This entire aspect of his game needs to be completely revamped. Zetterberg stands firmly in the cliche "small forward" zone of "great with the puck, not so great without it".

Often in the hockey prospect world we get too caught up in the heights and weights of players. We want our big players to play big and our small players to play not-small. The problem with Zetterberg is not that he is small but rather that he plays small. I am very curious how his significant talent will play up as he advances to professional leagues with more physical players and a greater price to play for every inch of ice. I would certainly draft Zetterberg on the basis of the clear fact he possesses NHL-level talent, but I also don't think I would draft him in the first 3 or 4 rounds because of his obvious and overwhelming preference for safe, perimeter play.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2024 Draft Profile:

C/LW Ollie Josephson, Red Deer WHL

The team that picks Josephson certainly won't be swinging for upside, but they'll have a serious shot at a competitive bottom 6/PK option and potential fan favorite. The 6'0" 180lb pivot is generally regarded as a mid/late round option, in no small part due to his poor statistical profile and lack of offensive tools, but he brings an enviable, and projectable, high pace forechecking game to the table.

Josephson gives his team an engaged and competitive 200ft effort on every shift he takes. Simply put, this kid does not give up on plays. He's always fighting for possession and willing to play through contact to move the puck up the ice. What he may lack in raw skill he more than makes up for with pure determination to win battles and get pucks toward the net. He does not shy away from going anywhere on the ice, be it fighting for space outside the crease or battling hard in the corners, and he's as willing to sacrifice the body to block a shot as he is to take a big hit to get a clear. Josephson is not quite top of the class fast, but his explosiveness and high tempo game certainly make him feel that way. He's constantly moving on the ice and looking to generate pressure via quick burst attacks. Josephson is great on the puck, both in terms of making good decisions with it, thanks to his strong vision and risk-averse game, as well as literally in terms of possessing it, thanks to his crafty stickwork and proactive physical game. Josephson always knows where to be on the ice and in all my viewings, I don't think I've seen him take one shift off.

While there's no shortage of positives to say about how he plays, it's a much briefer discussion about what he actually brings to the table. Simply put, this is not a skilled player. His shot, when he even uses it, is pretty much only a threat in tight, and even then it's really limited to just a quick (and telegraphed) wrister. Red Deer was not the most prolific offensive team, I really do get that, but this is a player who did not hit double digit goals until almost March(!) and he didn't miss a single game this season. His playmaking game gives a bit more hope, but even then it's almost always very simple, move play forward in transition or find teammates in front type plays. He has a few other quirks in terms of occasionally fumbling puck recepetions or overestimating just how much traffic he can navigate, but the pure skill level is certainly the greatest drawback here.

Ultimately, I believe these types of players are necessary for winning teams, particularly ones like ours looking to get faster, stronger on the forecheck, and better in 50/50 battles. Josephson is incredibly annoying to face not because he's dirty or a pest, but because he simply just won't go away. He's always looking to push play, fiercely competitive on both sides of the puck, and basically playing every shift like it's his last. The offensive concern is very real, there's no denying that, but the one positive we do have is his instincts, largely, are sound. He's not overshooting, he's not misfiring on passes, he knows the lanes he needs to drive to be effective. The outlook is probably too limited for me to advocate using one of our earlier picks to grab him, but Josephson is a player I'd be happy to add as the draft went on.
I really like Josephson overall as a player, but how early I'd draft him has a lot to do with whether we think he plays up as a center or a wing at the higher levels. What are your feelings on this?

You're definitely drafting Josephson for your bottom 6 either way, but as you said he's a player who "does not go away", and that is what strikes me positively about him, as well. I'd also call him a very capable defensive forward, and I think that will play up, too.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Idc how the rest of the draft goes but if fitz doesn't draft Miroslav Satan Jr I'm gonna be pissed!
Satan is big and skates very well for his size. But I actually did not even have him on my list of players to write up, because I don't think he brings much else to the table and does not play a big man's game. He's actually rail-thin at 6'7-190 and can be bodied off the puck fairly easily at this point, and does not like the physical style very much if at all.

He's certainly possessing some intrigue because of the height-skating combo, but I try to look at huge prospects and ask myself: "what if they were 5'11-170"? In Satan's case, I'm not certain he'd find himself on too many top 200 lists, much less top 100 lists.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Satan is big and skates very well for his size. But I actually did not even have him on my list of players to write up, because I don't think he brings much else to the table and does not play a big man's game. He's actually rail-thin at 6'7-190 and can be bodied off the puck fairly easily at this point, and does not like the physical style very much if at all.

He's certainly possessing some intrigue because of the height-skating combo, but I try to look at huge prospects and ask myself: "what if they were 5'11-170"? In Satan's case, I'm not certain he'd find himself on too many top 200 lists, much less top 100 lists.
Dude, his name is Satan.

If I'm the Devils I'd draft him in the 7th round even if he were 4'11" and never played hockey in his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad