Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I was many times on the other side (because of last name) and even in internet because there are people who doesnt like visitors from the outside. But I think every man and woman has a right to improve themselves. They need to admit their mistakes.
From organisation point of view I would not use first round on him. Because character is the most important "skill".

He was definitely a young kid for some of those incidents. Hopefully he's matured a bit, but this definitely seems like a case where teams will really have to lean on their sports psychologist(s) during the interview process.

With where we're picking, I think there'll be other options. I can see Connelly being a dilemma for teams picking after #15.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
He was definitely a young kid for some of those incidents. Hopefully he's matured a bit, but this definitely seems like a case where teams will really have to lean on their sports psychologist(s) during the interview process.

With where we're picking, I think there'll be other options. I can see Connelly being a dilemma for teams picking after #15.
Logan Mailloux was drafted in the first round and he wasnt the only one who was drafted or signed after incidents everybody knows about. I dont think that some organisation will close the eyes on his talent.
I just hope it will not be our organisation. There were over then enough of kids around with ethic problem in this team.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah maybe it’s just me but i think that the team with two jewish stars in a state with a large jewish population should stear clear of the kid who posted a swastika in social media.

couldn’t care less how young he was, that plus the bullying stories show this guy is clearly a piece of shit. i’m not putting a lot of stock in the PR coaching he’s received for his “rehabilitation.”

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I was many times on the other side (because of last name and I was kind person from normal happy family) and even in internet because there are people who doesnt like visitors from the outside. But I think every man and woman has a right to improve themselves. They need to admit their mistakes.
From organisation point of view I would not use first round pick on him. Because character is the most important "skill".
I'm curious where his parents were in all of this?

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Two games of Helenius shift by shift video

Three more games of Helenius

From my 3rd tier of top 9-12 players Helenius is the hardest to project what kind of future he will face in NHL.
He is annoying to play against, he is taking away the puck regularly, he is patrolling the zones, he is moving a lot, he is positional player and forechecking player... but still he isnt the first forechecker on his squad often. I saw moments where he is watching and controling his player but he is separating from him and making dangerous shot. But in other moments he is doing exactly what you are asking for from your defensive forward.
Helenius is very good passer and he has good playmaking skills. He is controlling the puck, trying to force opponents and making a pass in the moment when his partner is open.
He has good shot, good skating and very good speed.

Issues with Helenius is his lack of high end skills. Its not that hard to understand that some part of his success is on the shoulders of slower game in Liiga. On the other hand everything he is doing - very competitive game, always in the pace of the game - against men. Yeah, I know its a meme, especially for Liiga and its kind of a true, but still competition is on the another level than most junior leagues. OHL is no more physical than it was anymore and players dont have real examination of their skill. Liiga is physical and even if Helenius is making a lot from the perimeter, he is driving dangerous zone, challenging defensemen, creating space.

The question is where his real ceiling in NHL? Second line two way center? Top-6 two way winger? Its questionable because we dont know how far he will go with his development. He isnt Aho with his skills, but he can develop some of his skills. He is very hard working player but he isnt physically gifted. But he is smart and he is involving in the pace of the game. He is doing great in play off - he looks like one of the best player of Jukurit. And if he will add much more accuracy to his game(I think its the biggest issue and its okay for junior player in the men league), he can be very good NHL center. He is top-4 productive player from his age in the last 15 years in Liiga.
If he will not develop his skills to the better levels, he should be very good two way complimentary winger. Some kind of Haula.

Reason why I put him below Chernyshov and Nygard is his lack of high end skill set and lack of physicals. Chernyshov and Nygard needs less to develop to be better. And their physical tools give them more to hit their ceiling. On the Helenius side is his center game where he is very good enough in the league. But he needs a lot to do to be NHL top-6 center. Still like him more as potential NHL center than Catton.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

On the other hand I think Nygard has potential to play center. Anyway he is so good in making right plays. His offensive potential is interesting because high iq should be adapted as other skills, but I think it is the most trasnlatable skill after skating. And it looks like Nygard is a better skater than Iginla and Boisvert.

Wow. How can he do his things on the center position, create playes, forechecking hard, drive the zone and drive the net from center position? Im confused.

Yeah, Im good.
Let's go, Fitz!

I need to rethink a little bit. If Nygard can be regular center he should be higher on the list.

1712393615070.png

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Wow. How can he do his things on the center position, create playes, forechecking hard, drive the zone and drive the net from center position? Im confused.

Yeah, Im good.
Let's go, Fitz!

I need to rethink a little bit. If Nygard can be regular center he should be higher on the list.

View attachment 846932

Is he something like McLeod as a prospect (minus the sexual assault (allegedly))?

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Is he something like McLeod as a prospect (minus the sexual assault (allegedly))?
Mcleod didnt have a shot Nygard has. Gap is huge. Nygard is much more smarter as passer than Mcleod. Mcleod had a some kind of tunnel vision, Nygard always scanning the ice and see the partners really well - one of the best on the draft. Mcleod was much faster. Both are very physical. Imagine Palat as a faster center with shot who can find and grind the space for himself and always finding his partners by a pass. But still not really fast, Nygard isnt playmaker.
Nygard is smarter than Mcleod to play complimentary top-6 role, I think its his floor. At least middle six solid winger. His ceiling is true second line center or first line scoring winger with great all around game and forechecking ability. In case of Nygard there are so little chance he will not be able to play solid game in NHL. Bust potential is higher with Helenius, Chernyshov, Iginla and even Catton. On the other hand Catton, Chernyshov and Iginla have higher ceiling, Catton has very questionable center position future but still have real chance to develop his game to the Panarin level, Chernyshov isnt consistent some times, but with higher ceiling - more physical, better skater, much better puckhandler(best puckhandling through traffic), better playmaker, Iginla isnt as good positionally and defensively but still physical, faster, has more edge in offensive zone.

So I think Nygard is much better as a prospect than Mcleod and Mcleod as a role model is his minimum floor.

Last edited:

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I want nothing to do with Nygard unless it's the back-end of the first round. He has limited upside and is not a guy that you should be taking a flier on in/around the top 10.

Assuming they're picking around the 10 spot, give me Helenius every single day of the week over Nygard and it isn't much of a conversation.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I want nothing to do with Nygard unless it's the back-end of the first round. He has limited upside and is not a guy that you should be taking a flier on in/around the top 10.

Assuming they're picking around the 10 spot, give me Helenius every single day of the week over Nygard and it isn't much of a conversation.
Misinformation. On the same tournament Nygard was more productive and shows more offense than Helenius. Overall Nygard is playing very smart and accurate game for adult level. He would be all around offensive dynamo in CHL. "Back-end of the first round" argument is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery-very bad.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020

If your argument against Nygard is limited upside (which I disagree with), then I'm not sure why Helenius is the player you're bringing up as an alternative.

• Haha
Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

evnted

Apr 14, 2016

while they are close for me, i do actually agree with helenius over mbn at this point (id generally always rather bet on the more cerebral, individual play driver), but i think you're underselling the latter here, or potentially overrating the 2024 forward class. his ceiling might not really be a top line caliber player, i agree, but i think hes much, much closer to an nhl level middle 6 role than others who do have true 1st line upside are to their ceiling, and i think accounting for probable outcomes is important in upside discussions. on top of that, there are very few forwards in this class who i can confidently point to as slam dunk top 6 projections, and most of the ones who do have that level of upside have little to no fallback game right now. or, in other words, quite a low floor. if we dont have a high profile defender fall to our pick, i think theres something to be said about the certainty of mbn's projection even if we anticipate that someone picked behind him puts it all together and ultimately jumps him long term

Reactions: Guadana

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
yeah maybe it’s just me but i think that the team with two jewish stars in a state with a large jewish population should stear clear of the kid who posted a swastika in social media.

couldn’t care less how young he was, that plus the bullying stories show this guy is clearly a piece of shit. i’m not putting a lot of stock in the PR coaching he’s received for his “rehabilitation.”

Exactly how I feel.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Time for tiJarome Iginla jr

Four games of Tij - shit by shift videos.

Tij is very fun player to watch and he is another player from my tier-3 with Nygard, Chernyshov and Heleius. If Devils will be in the 9-12 spot and some obvious better prospect will not fall, I think Fit will and should draft one of this players from this tier. Because of their good compete game, high floor and interesting upside.

Tij is looking like the player with higher ceiling and I think his defensive game is overrated and his offensive game is underrated. He is very good puckhandler, he manipulates defensemen and create space for his partners. And it helps him to make good passes. And he is very good in it. He is smart in this aspect of the game. Overall his offensive vision and passing on the very good level - he is doing it on the speed of the game in the right time. And after the pass he can change his move and find open space for taking the pass and making a nice shot. He is very good shooter and his ability to find the open space help him to create chances for his partners and for himself.

He is very good transitional player - his puckmoving and puck protection skills help him to escape defensive zone and enter the offensive zone through the pass(same way as creating chances for scoring) or by himself.

His problem is his passive defensive game and lack of positional vision in his own zone. He is good forecheker for his level of competition - he is annoying and he will play until the end. And when he is doing his forechecking defensive work - its a problem for opponents. But often he isnt in the place where he could prevent some opponents play.

Another issue with his game is his speed - he is a player of normal size 6'0 but he cant separate by his skating and speed. Overall he is good skater, nice edges, moving great with the puck, but needs to add more speed in his game.

Ceiling is great - combo of physical game(he isnt hitter, but he doesnt avoide puck battles or boardy dirts\dirty boards at all, and he is pretty good in it), nice hands and offensive iq should help to be at least great scoring winger who will make puck retrievals and in the same time after that will create space and chances for partners and for himself.
I think he will lose some parts of his game because he will not drive the net by big part of his tricks but still he knows how to protect the puck, where his partners are, how to use them through pass.

The issue is he isnt a very good and fast skater(he isnt bad skater) so NHL defensemen will block big part of his game and he needs to adapt his game on higher level. He isnt bad but in the same time he isnt really great in cycling. He can be passive without the puck, moving in the wrong positions and even close space for his partners. Floor is AHL champion. But its a low floor where he will not develop his game.
And I dont believe he will not develop his game. Because he developed his game A LOT from the previous season from everything I know and read.

I think Devils fans should not worry about him as potential player to draft. He will be perfect fit for our players and its not about need only - his ceiling is great and his middle potential level is good too - middle six forechecking forward with great ability for secondary scoring. But I think he will be as better as his center and partners.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

Athletic article had some other interesting tidbits on Connelly.
This won’t be his only draft eligible season. He has plenty of time to prove he’s grown and moved on from being a dipshit bully before getting an opportunity. If i was an exec i would flat out tell him to his face “someone will probably draft you, but we won’t.” Let him be a headache for someone else.
I'm curious where his parents were in all of this?
Behavior like this often stems from the parents.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

This is exciting
1712533472487.png

1712533485641.png

The "problem" is Nygard and Helenius are doing awesome things in more competitive play off tournaments too. Chernyshov wasnt productive but still was good enough to play in KHL 10 play off games.
Choice for Fitz will be hard but it is a good problem. All stories about bad draft are falls. Its not generational but still very good class, at least in the top.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Yeah the more I look at it, the more I am impressed with the top half of the first round. Not all these guys will hit, obviously, but every team that missed the playoffs is gonna have a chance to draft a guy I'd be happy to pick there, I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad