GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread - ESPN , Sportsnet & TVA Sports (Canada) 7:00 - June 28 - 29

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

For just the fourth time since 2017, the Bruins will be on the clock in the first round of the NHL Draft.
They reacquired their own first-round pick (No. 25 overall), plucking it from the Senators Monday in what stands as the top return for dealing goaltender Linus Ullmark to an Atlantic Division opponent.

By getting back into the first round, general manager Don Sweeney will have the chance to add an intriguing prospect to the Bruins’ pipeline — especially down the middle.
Here are 10 players they could target.
Jett Luchanko, C, OHL (Guelph)
The Bruins have had success targeting playmaking centers from the Guelph Storm, with Matt Poitras developing into a blue-chip prospect after they took him in the second round in 2022. Once Poitras left to join the Bruins, Luchanko stepped into a top-line role with the Storm and thrived — posting 20 goals and 74 points over 68 games. Much like Poitras, Luchanko isn’t the biggest body at 5 feet 11 inches, but he operates with plenty of pace that allows him to put defenses on their heels and retrieve pucks in Grade A ice.

Cole Beaudoin, C, OHL (Barrie)

If the Bruins prioritize a center with a safe floor as a middle-six contributor, Beaudoin might be their best bet. The 18-year-old left shot already boasts a pro-ready frame at 6-2, 209 — size he uses to win puck battles, create havoc down low, and pressure opposing puck carriers. Beaudoin, named the Eastern Conference’s hardest worker, top penalty killer, and second-best defensive forward in the OHL’s year-end coaches’ poll, had 28 goals and 62 points in 67 games last season. He could develop into a dependable two-way stalwart in short order.

Dean Letourneau, C, St. Andrew’s College

If the Bruins swing for the fences with a boom-or-bust prospect, this could be their target — a 6-7 center who has received high marks for his skating and playmaking. Letourneau, who lit up the stat sheet against prep competition at St. Andrew’s in Canada (61 goals, 127 points in 56 games), has committed to Boston College for the fall. He told NHL.com that he models his game after Sabres star Tage Thompson, and he has a very high ceiling, but there are questions about how he will adjust to a higher level of competition in the NCAA and beyond. He has been knocked for some passivity in his play. Still, his size and potential might be too tantalizing to pass up.

Michael Hage C, Chicago Steel (USHL)

It remains to be seen whether Hage will be available, considering the 6-1 center has drawn rave reviews for his dynamic skating and playmaking. The 18-year-old was a force for the Steel, scoring 33 goals and recording 75 points over 54 games. While the Michigan commit will likely need time to round out his two-way game, he is the type of high-end offensive talent down the middle that the Bruins organization is lacking.

Sacha Boisvert, C, Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL)

Much like Beaudoin, Boisvert projects as a prospect whose floor as a capable NHLer is easy to map out given his size (6-2, 183) and well-rounded game. His sharp wrist shot was put to good use in Muskegon (36 tallies over 61 games), but the North Dakota commit also received high marks for his hockey IQ and two-way game.

Teddy Stiga, LW, USNTDP

Stiga may not be a center at the next level, but his connections to this area are fairly evident. He’s a Sudbury native and BC commit who could be a target late in the first round for a team looking for a high-motor forward. While he scored 36 goals in 61 games last season with the development team, it’s the 5-10 forward’s ability to anticipate plays in the offensive zone and knack for making things happen with his skating that make him an appealing option.

Liam Greentree, LW, OHL (Windsor)

If the Bruins are looking for more size and scoring touch in their prospect pool, Greentree could be a target. The 6-2, 207-pound forward led Windsor with 36 goals and 90 points — finishing 12th in the OHL in scoring. He’ll need to work on his skating, but the offensive skills are evident, especially when driving to the net and cycling the puck.

Emil Hemming, RW, TPS (Liiga/Finland)

Another power forward, Hemming possesses a heavy shot, and when coupled with his 6-2, 205-pound frame, that could make him a worthwhile investment for a team looking to add size. Beyond adhering to a heavy game, Hemming’s defensive skills and high motor make him a skater who could develop into a two-way talent rather than a one-dimensional goal-scorer.

Stian Solberg, D, Valerenga (Norway)

The blue line seems to be the least of the Bruins’ priorities in the draft. But if they are set on taking the “best player available,” Solberg might be too good to pass up. The left-shot defenseman more than held his own against older competition in Norway, and thrived in the World Championships. A 6-2 blue liner noted for his fluid skating, Solberg also has a mean streak. If the Bruins are seeking a steady, physical left shot to eventually pair with Charlie McAvoy, Solberg could be their guy.

E.J. Emery, D, USNTDP

He may not boast a high offensive ceiling, but Emery is a 6-3, right-shot defenseman projected to thrive as a mobile puck carrier and shutdown presence on the blue line. He’s far from flashy, but he is rarely caught flat-footed and steers opponents away from Grade A ice. The Bruins currently have McAvoy, Brandon Carlo, and Andrew Peeke on the right side of the defense, but Emery could be a worthwhile investment.

I like Liam Greentree.

Best name available.

Reactions: PepeBostones

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
I hope the Bs view the 25th choice as having a 3-4 year window before it has much of an impact and go for ceiling and development. Think of Lohrei - seen as green and unproven but with a potentially high ceiling. So far that has been a home run.

It is those type of selections that enable a team to finish high in the standings every year and still stay competitive over the long run.
Not sure that I would use Lohrei as an example when you're talking the 25th pick in the draft. Lohrei is a late 2nd rounder. The 25th pick can turn out to be a game-breaker (Pastrnak). I would hope they don't reach like past drafts and draft a late 2nd-early 3rd talent. It is either the BPA or someone you had extensive scouting on.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Not sure that I would use Lohrei as an example when you're talking the 25th pick in the draft. Lohrei is a late 2nd rounder. The 25th pick can turn out to be a game-breaker (Pastrnak). I would hope they don't reach like past drafts and draft a late 2nd-early 3rd talent. It is either the BPA or someone you had extensive scouting on.
Agree

Don't get too cute or try to show they are the smartest kids in the room...draft for ceiling or BPA- which sometimes may be the same player

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Agree, they have invested heavily in C's the past couple of years, and certainly might take a C here, but I won't be throwing things at the TV like I did in 2017 when I threw things at the TV when they drafted a D.
hilariously, they now have more center prospects and almost no NHL quality D prospects. so it would appropriate to do the same thing in reverse.

• Haha
Reactions: JoeIsAStud

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Just for expectations…there are two guys drafted at 20 or later since 2021 who have 50 points in the NHL. Just two. And one of them is JJ Moser.

If they keep this pick, this is for help 3-4 years from now. So hyper focusing on a center isn’t the right concept here.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Just for expectations…there are two guys drafted at 20 or later since 2021 who have 50 points in the NHL. Just two. And one of them is JJ Moser.

If they keep this pick, this is for help 3-4 years from now. So hyper focusing on a center isn’t the right concept here.
So you are saying the Ullmark deal was a bad trade?

Reactions: JOKER 192

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
The one draft preview we all wanted and needed, from our great friend Dom

Great recap. Only request from me is do not draft anybody with a compete score of less than 7. Other than that the most talented, physical center. Yegor Surin or Sacha Boisvert would be nice adds.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Agree, they have invested heavily in C's the past couple of years, and certainly might take a C here, but I won't be throwing things at the TV like I did in 2017 when I threw things at the TV when they drafted a D.
Yeh 2017 was way bad - they agreed apparently to take Thomas and on the floor flipped

If true everything is different

Poitras should be a top two line C

Lindholm would tie up 7 years

I’d take Boisvert or Beaudoin if there it’s 40 deep easy

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Hage, Greentree, Chernyshov would all be good picks imo. I’m not too familiar with some of the other guys in this range, but any of these three would be nice if they are still available.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Hage, Greentree, Chernyshov would all be good picks imo. I’m not too familiar with some of the other guys in this range, but any of these three would be nice if they are still available.

If Greentree, Hage or Boisvert are available they will go that route. I like Stiga more than Beaudoin. Can see Sweeney swing for the fences with Letourneau and the reaction here would be fun to witness.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
If Greentree, Hage or Boisvert are available they will go that route. I like Stiga more than Beaudoin. Can see Sweeney swing for the fences with Letourneau and the reaction here would be fun to witness.
Letourneau would be fun at least. Could probably trade back a little bit if he’s our target. I don’t know why I am speculating with offensive higher ceiling guys, we all know that the Bruins will take the guy with a scouting report of “high floor, low ceiling, but has grit and plays a two way game.”

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Letourneau would be fun at least. Could probably trade back a little bit if he’s our target. I don’t know why I am speculating with offensive higher ceiling guys, we all know that the Bruins will take the guy with a scouting report of “high floor, low ceiling, but has grit and plays a two way game.”

Definitely would not trade back if he were your target, he is very much in play in the mid 20s if the consensus mocks mean anything

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad