GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread - ESPN , Sportsnet & TVA Sports (Canada) 7:00 - June 28 - 29

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Didnt someone mentioned that he has too many redflags (without going into detail)?

Seriously, who is a local guy who is projected to go in the second round?

Are we getting people confused. I don't think Letourneau has red flags other than very low level of competition.

In terms of local guy, it is possible Sweeney would take one here, but it is a compete fallacy to say Sweeney has focused to much on local talent . Has he drafted anyone from NE?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Couple of LHD that I love are Stian Solberg and Wil Skahan. Solberg could be that Seidenberg for McAvoy. Not flashy, not much offense but mean af and positionally very good. Skahan is probably a 4th or 5th round pick and defensive beast. Prob a bottom pairing guy with great PK skills.

Reactions: Carl Hungus

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
He should not be there at 25
I just posted about him in the roster thread this saddens me cause I like what I’ve saw in him and obviously didn’t think we’d have a chance for him until after the recent trade so I kept it to myself..

I ask even your opinion of him.. lol I figured you watched him too

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
THN post-SC mock draft and has us taking Letourneau.
Daily Faceoff has us taking Luchanko.
I want Jett Luchanko

I think we take Letourneau

Wow- it’s that obvious

My other guy I see them taking is Cole Beaudoin the Bruins blueprint as their next Charlie Coyle

Guys I’ll be watching close
Hage
Luchanko
Sacha Boisvert

All C and if Hage or Luchanko get there will be surprised

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I came across the following article...https://nhlentrydraft.com/news/under-the-radar-prospects-2024-draft/

HE comes from my neck of the woods...Tenacity, pain in the arse to play against, and lethal shot!

Kevin He – Niagara IceDogs – Player Profile​

Posted on April 22, 2024 by Dominic Tiano

Kevin He of the Niagara IceDogs. Photo by OHL Images.
HTWTDOBPOSSHOHL DRAFTNHLCSNAT
6’182Apr 30, 2006LWL25th, 202278th N.A.CAN
SEASONLEAGUETEAMGPGAPTS
2021-2022GTHL U16North York U1616131225
2022-2023OHLNiagara IceDogs66211334
2023-2024OHLNiagara IceDogs64312253
Kevin He is the lone Niagara IceDogs player on NHL Central Scouting’s final rankings, but that doesn’t imply a talent deficiency on the team. The IceDogs have several promising young players, yet the constant roster turnover and turmoil in Niagara likely make it challenging for budding talent to gain stability and develop.
Advertisements

Primarily a goal scorer, he boasts an excellent shot that allows him to beat goaltenders with precision and skill. However, questions remain about his decision-making in the offensive zone – does he lack hockey IQ, or is the dearth of talented teammates limiting his ability to find them with passes? At times he either skates into defensive coverage or struggles to distribute the puck effectively.
Despite his average frame that needs more filling out, his relentless energy, physical play, and ability to frustrate opponents will impress. He excels on the forecheck, accelerating to deliver hits. Willing to absorb contact, he sacrifices his body to make plays.
Ranking He is so challenging because it is hard to determine how much of his performance depends on his own abilities versus the conditions under which he competes.

KEVIN HE | LW | NIAGARA ICEDOGS (OHL)

FCHOCKEY MIDTERM RANK: NR

It was a tough situation this year for the Niagara IceDogs. The team aimed to be more competitive but as struggles continued many of the team’s depth and veteran players were traded off. Kevin He was a pillar of consistency for the organization however, exceeding the 30-goal mark (31) as a 17-year-old, building on a 21-goal season as a rookie last year. “I think if a player with He’s skillset was on a more stable team he would be talked about in a way different light,” FCHockey chief Ontario scout Austin Broad said. “He can score at will, has an elite shot and has the ability to beat anyone off the rush with his speed and acceleration. I think his draft stock would be immensely different if he had a better supporting staff around him.

“He was able to excel and score a bunch of goals, while carrying the load for a young Niagara team. To me, that speaks volumes about his potential and should be a positive for him going into the draft.”

He was slotted outside the top-100 in FCHockey’s Midterm ranking for the 2024 draft, but there is no denying the talent he possesses and could easily become another under the radar draft choice.

KASPER PIKKARAINEN | RW | TPS U20 (U20 SM-SARJA)

FCHOCKEY MIDTERM RANK: NR

Standing at 6-foot-3, it’s hard for Kasper Pikkarainen to truly go unnoticed. Being one of the bigger players on the ice, the young Finnish prospect is easy to spot. But bouncing between Liiga, the top Finnish circuit, and its U20 league has caused some disruptions to Pikkarainen’s season.
“He has shown his abilities and potential in the games he has played,” FCHockey regional scout Arttu Myllymaki said. “I’m particularly interested to see how he performs at the U18 World Championship.” The skill is undeniable, as Pikkarainen finished in the top-5 in scoring on the TPS U20 team at just the age of 17.

A strong U18 World’s could see Pikkarainen’s stock rise dramatically, especially given his talent and size combination are always coveted by NHL teams“His playmaking skills are among the best I’ve seen in this draft class,” Myllymaki said. “He’s capable of magical things with the puck. His vision allows him to see passing lanes nobody else does.”

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Sadly agree. I read the group OHL ratings do you have your own?

My Bruins list based on my rankings will be out Thursday morning.

Was asked to do a draft podcast tomorrow and I don't want to release it before then. Also, there are some sites stealing my work and using it as their own. My hope is to come out after theirs so they don't look exactly like mine.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Sounds like there will be legitimate center/forward prospects available when they pick......so I fully expect Donny to draft an undersized defenseman who lacks offensive skills.

Reactions: 2yrs2retire

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
To paraphrase The Athletic "Letourneau could be the next Tage Thompson or he could be the next Joe Colborne/Riley Tufte. Chances are he ends up somewhere in the middle." Their player comparison was Michael Rasmussen.
I guess that wouldn't be terrible for a 25th pick but also doesn't have me super excited either.

Reactions: BMC

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
To paraphrase The Athletic "Letourneau could be the next Tage Thompson or he could be the next Joe Colborne/Riley Tufte. Chances are he ends up somewhere in the middle." Their player comparison was Michael Rasmussen.
I guess that wouldn't be terrible for a 25th pick but also doesn't have me super excited either.

Colborne finally developed into a good player right before an injury ended his career

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
I feel like this could be a good year to trade down. It's often the case that after the top 20 or so things become a crapshoot but it seems like that is even more the case this year. I wouldn't mind having two swings at similarly ranked prospects. Here are the teams with multiple seconds:
SJ: 33 & 42
CHI: 34 & 50
ANA: 35 & 58
UTA: 38, 49, & 65
SEA: 40 & 63
CGY: 41 & 62
PIT: 44 & 46
STL: 48 & 56
NSH: 53, 55, & 59
NYI: 54 & 61

Some options are more appealing than others but you never know who might love a guy on the board at #25 and could be willing to overpay a bit.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

My Bruins list based on my rankings will be out Thursday morning.

Was asked to do a draft podcast tomorrow and I don't want to release it before then. Also, there are some sites stealing my work and using it as their own. My hope is to come out after theirs so they don't look exactly like mine.

You want to add anything to this?
Seemed you were impressed with this kid.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Here it is. Mr Bob Mckenzie List:
Sounds like after the top 20, a 3rd pick, maybe a first round pick depending on who's holding the pick, makes you wonder what the true value is of pick number 25, I guess its all in the eye of the beholder. I hope Sweeney hits on it!

It seems there’s a divide of sorts between the top 20 on TSN’s list and the next group of as many 20-plus prospects. Famous last words, but it would be shocking if the first 20 on our list aren’t surefire first-rounders. Beyond that, though, the prospects ranked 21-32 would appear to be somewhat interchangeable with those ranked 33 to 50.

In particular, there’s very little separating the six players from No. 33 to No. 38 — Charlie Elick, Egor Surin, Nikita Artamonov, Dean Letourneau, Matvei Gridin and Jesse Pulkkinen — with those ranked from around No. 25 to 32.

And all but two prospects between 40 and 52 received at least one first-round vote.

Prospects ranked below No. 50 who got first-round consideration from at least one scout included: Rimouski’s Spencer Gill at No. 53; Kingston Jacob Battaglia at No. 57; Sudbury’s Nathan Villeneuve at No. 73; Niagara’s Kevin He at No. 79 and Sweden’s Melvin Fernstrom at No. 80.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad