GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I like the draft a lot. I probably would have avoided Lindstrom because I am risk averse, but he was the guy I wanted for months. Hopefully the CBJ consulted smart and capable doctors. Elick was another guy I wanted. Having another good goalie (especially one taller than 6’) in the pipeline makes a lot of sense. I once posted the optimal draft strategy was probably to draft big right D with every pick after the 1st round and then then trade some of them for necessary pieces as they develop. This was as close as you could probably get to that strategy.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
A lot of focus on size this year which has historically been a bad draft strategy in NHL.

But I watched like 10 players this year so cant really complain :dunno:

Reactions: Viqsi

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Finnish wunderkind Aron Kiviharju went in the late 4th.
Basically Räty/Lambert repeat that went even further because he's really small.

Lambert and Räty are doing really well in AHL, relative to their draft position. I bet Kiviharju will be the same 2-3 years. Good chance he wont ever make the jump from AHL to NHL though.

Last edited:

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
"I didn't want my first trade to be with Carolina", gotta appreciate the candor and humor. No idea about the players we drafted but let's see how it goes in a few years. Dev camp starts in two days too, new season, new hope.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
wasnt that a big part of our draft last year and people hated it because of how many small players we drafted?
Dunno, I've loved CBJ drafts in 2022 and 2023. Maybe people kinda assumed they're going with heavy analytics since they drafted smaller players? Who knows how the decisions were actually made. I don't recall any actual reports on such things.

Anyone complaining about Brindley at 2nd or Dumais at late 3rd because they're small can identify themselves now for some good old public shaming. Both are A+ picks at those draft positions

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Glad we turned that offer down. Maybe if they offered 2024 #18 overall instead of 2025 2nd, but even then, if you love Lindstrom, take him.

I will say CBJ must not have been very high on Demidov relatively, if they would’ve been willing to take that for anyone not named Celebrini/Lindstrom.
Agree. If Bedard is the elite game changer that he is predicted to be, Chicago could easily leap to a middle of the pack or better team this year and now you are getting the 15th pick or worse in 2025.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Dunno, I've loved CBJ drafts in 2022 and 2023. Maybe people kinda assumed they're going with heavy analytics since they drafted smaller players? Who knows how the decisions were actually made. I don't recall any actual reports on such things.

Anyone complaining about Brindley at 2nd or Dumais at late 3rd because they're small can identify themselves now for some good old public shaming. Both are A+ picks at those draft positions

There's nothing wrong with the Brindley and Dumais picks.

But just about everyone we drafted last year performed well in the points models that get shared a lot. Small and slow players that lack projectable tools often look great in those models.

Reactions: NotWendell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad