GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Seems like the number of variations I am seeing in the mocks after #1 will make it difficult to drop down just a couple of picks or you will get very little for the move. What is the typical compensation to go from #4 to about #10? Is that worth a future #1? or just a #2 or#3?

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Seems like the number of variations I am seeing in the mocks after #1 will make it difficult to drop down just a couple of picks or you will get very little for the move. What is the typical compensation to go from #4 to about #10? Is that worth a future #1? or just a #2 or#3?

Probably a 2nd rounder. I don’t think it’d be worth trading down, just take who you like at 4.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Realistically I would only see Utah or Seattle using one of their seconds to jump. I think everyone stays pat. The only true realistic one I see is Montreal jumping ahead of us and trading with the Ducks if Chicago selects Levshunov to snag Demidov if they are scared we will take him.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I still think we'll trade the pick.
That would literally be history-making, as we would be the first team ever in the salary cap era to knowingly trade a top-4 pick at the draft. (The only other trades of top picks have been done literally years in advance of their drafts.)

Can y'all guess the last time such a thing happened at all? Hint: we're all very familiar with the team and the GM that traded the pick.

Reactions: CBJx614

Jackets Bob

Sep 28, 2017
Lewis Center, OH
That would literally be history-making, as we would be the first team ever in the salary cap era to knowingly trade a top-4 pick at the draft. (The only other trades of top picks have been done literally years in advance of their drafts.)

Can y'all guess the last time such a thing happened at all? Hint: we're all very familiar with the team and the GM that traded the pick.
Doug traded the 2004 4th OA to Carolina and we picked Picard.

Reactions: Viqsi

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
The more I look at this draft the more I don't mind a trade. This feels like a draft where no matter who you pick at 4 there is a good chance that someone at 9 or 14 is going to be better than who you pick. Cole Eiserman could be the best player in the draft if he can round out his game and mature, Iginla, and Senneke and Lidstrom all have their own arguments on the forward side and the D side is even worse; Yakemchuck could be the best D in the draft or it could be Zeev, or Levshunov or Dickinson, etc. If you can land a legit top line piece (Goalie, Center, Top line D) using the 1st I think you do it.

If I have the opportunity to land Linus Ullmark for the 4th and elvis (50% retained) don't you take that shot?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Could see the draft progressing this way ..
Thinking back on the Cayden Lindstrom interview .. the fact he acknowledged nerve pain down leg , and sciatica, seems to be consistent with that lower back L4-5 area

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
Lindstrom's back injury (with nerve involvement) would keep me from spending 4OA on him. I don't like the odds that someone with that injury at such a young age can 1) reach his full potential and 2) sustain that for 82 game NHL season + playoffs. The physical style of play that you need from him seems incongruent with a herniated disc. Will he need to change his style of play to stay on the ice? And if he does, is a less physical Lindstrom worth that high a pick?

I'd rather choose someone else where the concern is "will they hit their ceiling" vs. worrying about both the ceiling and overcoming the pre-existing injury. As of now, my preference is probably Demidov, Sennecke, Buium (in that order). If all 3 are gone I would probably take Silayev.

Edit: I guess this is an awkward way of saying I don't favor Silayev unless they trade back. But I would take him ahead of Lindstrom based on the back injury.

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I'd rather choose someone else where the concern is "will they hit their ceiling" vs. worrying about both the ceiling and overcoming the pre-existing injury. As of now, my preference is probably Demidov, Sennecke, Buium (in that order). If all 3 are gone I would probably take Silayev.

If all 3 are gone I think we take Celebrini and wonder how we got so lucky.

But I get your point and am in the same camp. I can just see the impact to the team if the kid has a Nolan Patrick type career and has to sit entire seasons and his back just can’t hold up. I think the risk is too great.

If we truly think we have our future 1C in Fantilli and our 1RD in Jiricek, then finding a really good complimentary player that will not bust is important. I am ok with Demidov and Iginla for that reason, as well as Dickinson. If we draft a wing, I want to start trading wings while they still have potential and are cost controlled and have value. Like let’s decide Johnny Hockey, drafted wing, Marchenko, and whomever (Chinakhov? KJ?) are the future top guys and start making trades. Then we can bring in a vet wing with playoff experience who can help teach.

Reactions: CannonFire1

AnonCommentary

Jun 4, 2024
Listened to The Athletic Hockey Podcast today and they did a predictive informed mock draft. Not if I were a GM.

1. Celebrini
2. Levshunov
3. Silayev
4. Lindstrom

Reasoning: I think Silayev could’ve made sense. I think the pick is Lindstrom. They get another big center behind Fantilli. If he’s not you get a big power winger. The question above all is the medical. That’s something we can’t account for. We don’t know how teams will view it. That search for the top of the lineup center. Fantilli could be it. We will see with Lindstrom as well. The skill level - the size - the meanness you can get with the both of them. That’s going to matter. They’re going to be a heavier team. They’ve got smaller players in their system. They’ve got good defensemen in their system. I think to me - could be the most impactful for their organization. They might have their top 2 Cs long term. Those two guys are their closest comps for each other in their respective draft classes. It’s almost fitting that those two guys are in that realm of possibility. The skating - the meanness - the physicality - quick twitch hands. They’re actually a lot alike in a lot of ways. That piece of it is really fascinating. The idea of having two like minded - similarly style - built players 1-2 down the middle. No guarantee for some that he will be a C but if he can be a C that’s a really exciting possibility down the line. I think watching Florida in the SCF only accentuates that.

They still thought Levshunov was the pick for Chicago but this recorded before the Florida showcase so things could have changed.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Doug traded the 2004 4th OA to Carolina and we picked Picard.
We should have named him team captain. I think he's got a little Jarmo going on!
399829937_10161551061486393_4966262475049219619_n.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Jackets Bob

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana

This was my worry when I first watched Sennecke highlights. Lindstrom’s points came in a way more “pro” manner.

I know Demidov makes a lot of similar “dangle” types of plays, but for some reason, his moves seem to look “smarter” to me, in terms of he uses them to get into space. Whereas, a lot of Sennecke’s moves, for lack of a better way to phrase it (lol)… feel like they have an intentionally showy aspect to them. Almost in a Sonny Milano type of way where they don’t do it to put themselves in a better position, they do it to see if they can pull it off. I agree that it worries me how translatable it would be.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

A highlight reel is not a representative sample of how a player scores.

Sennecke certainly dangles a lot in junior. He'll dangle three or four guys, because it works. That won't happen often in the NHL. But he does have the skill to dangle one guy, and he can make a great pass from there to exploit the odd-man situation he created. He has all the tools to make plays like that in the NHL. I would give him some credit with being adaptable. He's a great passer and reads the play well, plays well on the wall. He has a lot at his disposal.

Reactions: LJ7 and CBJx614

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

This was my worry when I first watched Sennecke highlights. Lindstrom’s points came in a way more “pro” manner.

I know Demidov makes a lot of similar “dangle” types of plays, but for some reason, his moves seem to look “smarter” to me, in terms of he uses them to get into space. Whereas, a lot of Sennecke’s moves, for lack of a better way to phrase it (lol)… feel like they have an intentionally showy aspect to them. Almost in a Sonny Milano type of way where they don’t do it to put themselves in a better position, they do it to see if they can pull it off. I agree that it worries me how translatable it would be.
They're pretty similar honestly, yeah sure sometimes Sennecke is dangling to get a scoring attempt, but look how many times he's dangling to draw players towards him, opening up a teammate and dishing it tape to tape or putting it in open space for them. I counted about 10 instances in that 2 minute video.

And they look showy because he's a 5'11 kid adjusting to a nearly 6'3 frame over the course of a season. Once he's built the strength to go with that frame he won't look as like a newborn moose dangling his way through opposing teams. The thing with Sennecke is unlike Milano, he has the total package, the vision, the shooting, the skating and the passing ability.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I just heard a twitter rumor, not from any reputable journalists, that it's the Blackhawks scouts that predominantly want Levshunov, but GM Kyle Davidson wants to take Demidov.

So:

1) Davidson should fire his scouts.

2) I'm upset now that we might not be able to draft Demidov

3) I'm upset that we might draft Levshunov.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I'm upset that some other team is likely going to get Pulkkinen. Newest shift-by-shift upload on youtube:

I see ridiculous amount of potential in that performance. HP scout Brad Allen said that late in the season Pulkkinen really began using his frame to his advantage in checks and closing in on players, and I think it's quite visible here in a game in late March. Once he adds more quickness to his skating I'm sure he can be a real pain in the ass for oppositions.

Shooting mechanics still look little undeveloped and I'm not a fan of his style of blocking shots/passing lanes in front of the net on PK, but those things can be improved and it's not as if they're not the most concerning flaws I've ever seen in a player.

Reactions: majormajor

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I’m sorry . This kid is available at 4 , not a chance I’m entertaining anyone else . Trade another winger for a #2 center .. you can’t pass up this elite talent

I just heard a twitter rumor, not from any reputable journalists, that it's the Blackhawks scouts that predominantly want Levshunov, but GM Kyle Davidson wants to take Demidov.

So:

Good way to build like Jarmo did … will have talent in org all over wing , time they invest in Dman , and those guys get up to capable players in the nhl, because D man take longer , your wingers are up for new contracts, and you are out of a job, because the team looks like it’s not improving

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

So:

Read the same rumor, I don't think Levshunov gets by Anaheim if Chicago goes Demidov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad