GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
If Demidov is there , you have to take him .. if that means you then flip KJ , Marchenko , Or other assets to get a center prospect , you have that flexibility . If Lindstrom was perfectly healthy , and didn’t have a herniated disc , it would be a tougher decision , mainly because of organization need .. but Michov and Demidov are probably 2 best Russians since Malkin and Ovie to come out of Russia .

Reactions: MAHJ71 and Toe Pick

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Waddell said that the pick is in play
The question is not whether to trade it or the wisdom in trading it
My question is if it were traded what would be the expectation of the return ?

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
This is what came to my mind as soon as everyone started going crazy over Demidov potentially being 6 inches.
demidov.png

An easy way to stop focusing on the height in feet would, of course, be to conform to the rest of the world and use the metric system. But then I guess 180 cm would be the magic threshold.

Last edited:

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Waddell said that the pick is in play
The question is not whether to trade it or the wisdom in trading it
My question is if it were traded what would be the expectation of the return ?
I think if you're trading that pick, you're getting a roster player, especially if you're packaging something with it. Granted it was ten years ago, but NJ traded #9(IIRC) for a young proven NHL goalie Schneider. So I imagine you could get a good piece

Reactions: Fred Glover

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I really liked reading Demidov mentioning wanting to work like a centre in the defensive zone. With his two-way game as it stands now, I think he seems talented and hard-working enough that he might be a centre one day. And even if he isn't, he's looking like he is going to be an amazing winger.

It seems clear that he wants to go to North America in 2025 too. Focusing on learning English and all the other stuff.

It's safe to say that he's now the slam dunk first-priority choice for me and will remain so until the draft. So for me it's:
  • Dancing naked in the streets: Demidov.
  • Doing a little dance in my apartment: Lindstrom.
  • Nodding hesitantly but optimistically: Buium, Sennecke.
  • Convincing myself to trust the scouts' judgement: Levshunov.
  • Slightly concerned: Anyone else.
Note: Any reactions described in this post may be the result of comedic hyperbole. This post is not legally binding.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I really liked reading Demidov mentioning wanting to work like a centre in the defensive zone. With his two-way game as it stands now, I think he seems talented and hard-working enough that he might be a centre one day. And even if he isn't, he's looking like he is going to be an amazing winger.

It might not be hard at all for Demidov to switch to center.

For players coming up in North America, if you're the best forward on your team and you're on the wing, it's probably because you didn't fit at center. For Russians the best players are often just put on the wing as a matter of course and someone like Voronkov or Anisimov will play center.

I personally don't see Demidov missing anything for center. I bet he can do it. The issue though is that you might want Demidov to be playing a more free attacking style from the wing in order to maximize his gifts.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
It might not be hard at all for Demidov to switch to center.

For players coming up in North America, if you're the best forward on your team and you're on the wing, it's probably because you didn't fit at center. For Russians the best players are often just put on the wing as a matter of course and someone like Voronkov or Anisimov will play center.

I personally don't see Demidov missing anything for center. I bet he can do it. The issue though is that you might want Demidov to be playing a more free attacking style from the wing in order to maximize his gifts.
Even if he would primarily be a winger, that in combination with such freedom and adaptabiliy wouldn’t at all be a negative. It makes roster construction easier for the GM and opens up a lot more tactical options for the coach.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Is it fair to say that Demidov as a prospect is a step below Michkov but without the long term contract and character concerns?

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Ok I might have been underrating Demidov's overall effort level without the puck. I watched some of his MHL playoff games on youtube. Didn't give a lot of reason to complain. Doesn't look like the most aggressive/tenacious defensive player ever but is quite sneaky, pays attention to detail well enough and his checking is pretty effective against his peers.

However I still wonder what is he going to look like in corner battles against NHL players. Probably he won't have to face many hard stick-on-stick and body-on-body battles due to his elusiveness and ability to make quick passes out of the corner but it's something I keep wondering.

But of course I'll also be less worried if he's indeed bigger than expected and is very motivated to improve himself in various ways. It seems Demidov at #4 would get my approval after all, although he is a damn winger!

Source?

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Two things...

Thinking ahead to next month's development camp because I might wanna go down this year. If the pick is Demidov or Silayev does that mean they won’t be at the camp? What’s the rule on college kids?

Looking way ahead to the 2026 draft. I was listening to the TA prospect podcast and someone asked them about Gavin McKenna. Have you guys heard of him? Holy Crap! The only special exception to have a comparable rookie season was Bedard who was nearly 1/2 year older than McKenna in their respective rookie seasons (Bedard way higher on goals and McKenna way higher on assists).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad