Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Can someone explain me what they see in Lindstrom because I just don't see it? Demidov looks like a legit gamebreaker. Hell I'd prefer Dickinson/Buium over Lindstrom.
Demigod’s knock is his pace - hands are elite but pace isn’t.

What’s your point?

Every projected top-15 not named Celebrini has flaws that could stall their development from reaching potential

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Demigod’s knock is his pace - hands are elite but pace isn’t.

What’s your point?

Every projected top-15 not named Celebrini has flaws that could stall their development from reaching potential
Gravity's questions about Lindstrom are the same as I has a few weeks ago. Reading more about Lindstrom and how he's a 'in the trenches' guy, I'm more convinced of the prospect (putting aside his potentially bum back) but they're legitimate questions. He's not known for dishing the puck or his passing game. The highlights and reports I've seen have left me less than convinced of his decision-making. So for me it's easy to see a player who can dangle and dish it (Demidov, Catton) and imagine them making high-light reel plays for us in our colours, it's less easy to be as enamoured by a kid dominating Jrs with his physical north-south play. But I'm not a professional scout and never played pro hockey, the ones who love Lindstrom also loved Slafkovsky. Maybe they know what they're doing. :sarcasm:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Said it once, said it a million times, decision making concerns for Lindstrom are nonsense. You need to be a moron to not make it with what Cayden's got, and he's far from it. Necas is clearly below average in decision making and we want to trade our entire cupboard for the guy, and maybe we even ought to.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Said it once, said it a million times, decision making concerns for Lindstrom are nonsense. You need to be a moron to not make it with what Cayden's got, and he's far from it. Necas is clearly below average in decision making and we want to trade our entire cupboard for the guy, and maybe we even ought to.
A player who is established in the NHL and proven as a top6 guy is a lot safer than a prospect who might never play a game in the NHL much less put up 70pts.

What convinces you that Lindstrom's decision-making is beyond reproach? I'm increasingly convinced of the player but would like to learn.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
A player who is established in the NHL and proven as a top6 guy is a lot safer than a prospect who might never play a game in the NHL much less put up 70pts.

What convinces you that Lindstrom's decision-making is beyond reproach? I'm increasingly convinced of the player but would like to learn.

What convinces me is seeing players who I identified as clearly below average decision makers making top players. Necas was one of them. Cozens is another. Newhook was a below average decision maker in the BCHL and he's still making a go of it.

Hockey isn't chess. You don't get a move, you have to take it, and you do so with speed, skill and physicality. To ruin what he's got you need to be like Podkolzin, Beaulieu, Liljegren levels of stupid. Absolute zero, head empty no thoughts.

• Haha
Reactions: Andrei79

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
What convinces me is seeing players who I identified as clearly below average decision makers making top players. Necas was one of them. Cozens is another. Newhook was a below average decision maker in the BCHL and he's still making a go of it.

Hockey isn't chess. You don't get a move, you have to take it, and you do so with speed, skill and physicality. To ruin what he's got you need to be like Podkolzin, Beaulieu, Liljegren levels of stupid. Absolute zero, head empty no thoughts.
With prospects, I think the IQ/decision-making concern has to do with making the right or optimal play rather than the clearest/easiest one -- this is because a player could be "cheating" and rely on his physical advantage against Jrs (most of whom would never make the NHL) to make a play that wouldn't fly in the NHL due to the smaller gap in physical abilities between the player and his NHL opponent.

Someone with a tendency to cut into the slot/middle to drive to the net for example -- just how valuable is it to see a prospect do that? I feel like the instinct to drive into contact is very valuable but the ability to bully the average Jr defender is not as much.

On the other hand, Lindstrom being able to play in the trenches is a translatable skill and a very valuable one. Ultimately, in high-end prospects I think you need to seek something from the the player that is already on-track to better than median NHL-level because these high-end prospects are meant to improve the roster and bring a new element missing from the 20 man starting lineup, or the 6man top6 in this case.

--

In terms of the names you brought up, I think a top5 player should have a prospective ceiling above that. I wouldn't use a 5OA pick on a player who tracks toward being Martin Necas or Alex Newhook (nor would I trade a 5OA for Necas or Newhook). We're meant to be aiming to pick up cornerstones and game-breakers.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Two days left and it can't come soon enough. I don't know what's left to be said on some of the prospects. We're on the verge of discussing their eating habits and their choice of clothing and whether that means they'll play physical and be playoff performers or if they'll shy away from traffic when the games get tighter.

Kent Hughes making his way to the podium if ever Demidov or Lindstrom are available:

Last edited:

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Two days left and it can't come soon enough. I don't know what's left to be said on some of the prospects. We're on the verge of discussing their eating habits and their choice of clothing and whether that means they'll play physical and be playoff performers or if they'll shy away from traffic when the games get tighter.
I think there is still some data missing on Lindstrom’s back. Is it L4 or L5 that’a affected ?

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Gravity's questions about Lindstrom are the same as I has a few weeks ago. Reading more about Lindstrom and how he's a 'in the trenches' guy, I'm more convinced of the prospect (putting aside his potentially bum back) but they're legitimate questions. He's not known for dishing the puck or his passing game. The highlights and reports I've seen have left me less than convinced of his decision-making. So for me it's easy to see a player who can dangle and dish it (Demidov, Catton) and imagine them making high-light reel plays for us in our colours, it's less easy to be as enamoured by a kid dominating Jrs with his physical north-south play. But I'm not a professional scout and never played pro hockey, the ones who love Lindstrom also loved Slafkovsky. Maybe they know what they're doing. :sarcasm:
I'm not worried about LIndstrom's decision making abilities and believe this might be somewhat overblown. He's a late bloomer who got into elite hockey later than most of his peers and is an extremely gifted athlete. He still has lots of unreached potential. My concern with Lindstrom would be his herniated disk. If it wasn't for that, I'd take him 2nd overall in a heartbeat given that this is a not so top heavy draft. However, I'd have to heavily consider using a 5th on him if there's any indication from medical reports/examinations that it could affect his career.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I think there is still some data missing on Lindstrom’s back. Is it L4 or L5 that’a affected ?
If it's a herniated disc, could be between L4 and L5 , which designate vertebrae. The disc is the burger patty in the burger whose bun maps to the two vertebrae. I don't know for sure that it's those two, but I concluded it based on the sciatica.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Parekh
If we're going D, might as well go for the one with the highest upside

One thing to note with Parekh is he does play OHL which is a bit more on the grittier side of things compared to the WHL and QMJHL right? Is this true? If so, he's a bit more use to the tight checking.
I like his offensive side (who doesn't) but I wonder how well rounded he is on D? I personally would not build my team without a proper offensive/defense balance. Otherwise, you end up like the Leafs and look very good in the regular season but fall on your face in the playoffs. We do have Hutson in our pool and there are other D rated higher than Parekh by lots of rankings you see.

Spirit had 8 NHL drafted players playing last season. Parekh was the leader but that roster was very good. Sometimes, stats gets skewed and the player looks better than what they are. Look at Drouin for example. Not saying this happens to Parekh for sure but something to evaluate and review.

Not much international sample to evaluate either. 5 games at the Hlinka Gretzky cup.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not worried about LIndstrom's decision making abilities and believe this might be somewhat overblown. He's a late bloomer who got into elite hockey later than most of his peers and is an extremely gifted athlete. He still has lots of unreached potential. My concern with Lindstrom would be his herniated disk. If it wasn't for that, I'd take him 2nd overall in a heartbeat given that this is a not so top heavy draft. However, I'd have to heavily consider using a 5th on him if there's any indication from medical reports/examinations that it could affect his career.

There is no way to spin this IMO. It's a serious concern about his back. Think about that and then the wear and tear with a 10+ NHL career and the style he plays? Yeah, he can be healthy today but what he went though can come back and become chronic.

Taking Lindstrom is risky. Especially with all that other talent that will be on the board. Do we think he ends up being that much better than others if he doesn't have any injury issues in his prime?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
My only concern with players like Lindstrom, and not necessarily Lindstrom, just players like him... you have to wonder how guys who dominate juniors with their physical tools and size will do when suddenly they aren't the biggest guys on the ice anymore. Lindstrom is a big boy but there are plenty of 6'4 220 lbs dmen in the NHL today.

If he's dominating mostly due to his size vs his peers, he may struggle to replicate the same style in the NHL. Or maybe not, he could continue to get stronger.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
My only concern with players like Lindstrom, and not necessarily Lindstrom, just players like him... you have to wonder how guys who dominate juniors with their physical tools and size will do when suddenly they aren't the biggest guys on the ice anymore. Lindstrom is a big boy but there are plenty of 6'4 220 lbs dmen in the NHL today.

If he's dominating mostly due to his size vs his peers, he may struggle to replicate the same style in the NHL. Or maybe not, he could continue to get stronger.
I used to think like this but I've changed my mind in the last few years. These guys are always going to be bigger and stronger than 99% of the NHL just like they have been bigger than the guys in whatever junior league they've been in. In fact I think the switch to playing against bigger, stronger, fully developed men is actually more of a problem to worry about for the smaller guys like Catton or whoever. Look at Slaf this last year, when youre that much of a beast you're going to dominate against basically anyone physically no matter what league you're in. Sometimes it may take them a couple years to adjust to the physicality and speed but I'm not worried about Lindstrom. He has a crazy good shot, powerful skater, very quick hands for a guy his size, and looks to have a lot of developmental runway. I think his passing and IQ are actually a bit underrated.

I think the problem arises when you take a player like McCarron ONLY because of his size when he's never been a good offensive player really at any point in time, hoping he'll suddenly figure out how to play hockey.

Reactions: waffledave

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
NHL.com final mock draft

So both Kimelman and Morreale have their top 3 exactly the same.

San Jose- Celebrini
Chicago- Levshunov
Anaheim- Silayev

Then one has Lindstrom at 4 and the other one has Demidov at 4.

They then flip with Montreal at 5 with one picking Demidov and the other picking Lindstrom.

Kimelman has us picking Greentree at 26 and Morreale has us picking Emery.

Reactions: Deebs and Ozmodiar

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Scott Wheeler says that as the draft is getting closer, he’s hearing Sennecke is firmly in the mix to Anaheim at 3rd overall and that he feels the Ducks are considering him.

That would shake things up quite a bit.

1. Celebrini
2. Levshunov
3. Sennecke

That would be ideal. One of Demidov/Lindstrom would be ours.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
Scott Wheeler says that as the draft is getting closer, he’s hearing Sennecke is firmly in the mix to Anaheim at 3rd overall and that he feels the Ducks are considering him.

That would shake things up quite a bit.

1. Celebrini
2. Levshunov
3. Sennecke

That would be ideal. One of Demidov/Lindstrom would be ours.
The Lindstrom-Dach-Laine is inevitable. The tallest and most injury prone line in league history.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
1719406057285.png

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
One thing to note with Parekh is he does play OHL which is a bit more on the grittier side of things compared to the WHL and QMJHL right? Is this true? If so, he's a bit more use to the tight checking.
I like his offensive side (who doesn't) but I wonder how well rounded he is on D? I personally would not build my team without a proper offensive/defense balance. Otherwise, you end up like the Leafs and look very good in the regular season but fall on your face in the playoffs. We do have Hutson in our pool and there are other D rated higher than Parekh by lots of rankings you see.

Spirit had 8 NHL drafted players playing last season. Parekh was the leader but that roster was very good. Sometimes, stats gets skewed and the player looks better than what they are. Look at Drouin for example. Not saying this happens to Parekh for sure but something to evaluate and review.

Not much international sample to evaluate either. 5 games at the Hlinka Gretzky cup.

Not sure about the grittier part, but it was my understanding that the WHL is closer to what the NHL is in terms of style of play. At least, as far as physicality is concerned.

Here’s to hoping the Ducks were one of the two teams that had Sennecke in their top-10 (as per Bob).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad