Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 76 18.1%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Tij has that Tkachuk brothers vibes to me. No one saw them as elite players, yet they’re both 1st liners now
Yeah, I was guilty of this in 2018 where I underrated bloodlines. The truth is athleticism is genetic/hereditary at the very least in part, then you add the person's personal culture (which is likely of very high quality in regards to Iginla, he was an outstanding pro and person), the advantages of watching a star NHLer in his day to day, the connections that NHLer had to high end coaches... I like Iginlas chances of being a great player.

I don’t want to pick a D in the first place but at 5 it’s hard to look past him. His size and the experience he’s picking up at 17 in the KHL make him such an interesting prospect. If he’s good in interviews and seems bright and passionate — then the sky is the limit.

I see it this way: Russian Hockey was no longer discriminated against, he would be hyped like Hedman.

Thus is how I see it as well. Maybe I might be becoming biased though in his case, but the way he skates and the defensive acumen means he'll have a lot less hurdles to go through to become an NHLer. What I lack are enough viewings to give a better answer on his offense, but he seems to have the tools Seider had in his draft year.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Slaf also dominated against men internationally

One thing I've learned over the years: Liiga production can be thrown in the trash. Production should be separated from the player entirely.

Connelly is a play killer. I see nothing special about him, plays always end with him. Has zero hockey sense, holds on the puck way too long, tries the highest risk plays that never pans out, loses the puck more often than not, this kid's play isn't worthy of a 1st round pick.

His one notable trait is his ability to make plays at full speed which is neat and pretty rare even in the NHL. Having said such, he's 100% a developmental type I'd be wary of drafting too high, purely on a player evaluation standpoint.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Is the difference between Guhle and Dickinson so vast that it’s worth a 5th overall pick? Isn’t it more prudent to use a 5th overall pick on a player type we don’t have? Or one that we sorely lack? Because two-way physical defencemen isn’t really something the Habs need. Offence is a need. Forwards are a need.
Oh yeah, Dickinson worth top 5 pick all day long. He's kind of player who are backbone of Stanley Cup teams. Big mobile offensive defensemen who can move the puck and log a lot of minutes. Chance he goes before 5 though.

Reactions: waitin425

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Oh yeah, Dickinson worth top 5 pick all day long. He's kind of player who are backbone of Stanley Cup teams. Big mobile offensive defensemen who can move the puck and log a lot of minutes. Chance he goes before 5 though.
Sure, on a team that doesn’t already have his carbon copy and like 3 other NHL-level LD. I don’t think we can justify picking him with a 5th overall pick with other glaring holes.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
His dad was drafted outside the top ten
Yeah, but imagine how dominate a player with that skill and that toughness could run over the league at this stage. It's why Lindstrom is so highly thought of.

Look at how people thought Tampa was tough and how people think Florida is tough. Neither team is tough they just attack in a group of 5 so no one is singled out. If you have a team that can do thar and actually beat the f*** out of people, teams aren't going to engage and let you push them around.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Connelly is a play killer. I see nothing special about him, plays always end with him. Has zero hockey sense, holds on the puck way too long, tries the highest risk plays that never pans out, loses the puck more often than not, this kid's play isn't worthy of a 1st round pick.

Sounds like the hockey version of Kobe Bryant lol

Reactions: habsfan891

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Zadorov actually hits too
I've seen this fallacy on this thread a few times and I'm not sure where it originated from but Silayev led all Torpedo dmen in hits this year which is amazing for a 17-year old in the KHL. His coach, Igor Larinov, said he was Torpedo's best dman in the playoffs. Wait until he's physically developed!

Reactions: Jaynki and ReHabs

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I've seen this fallacy on this thread a few times and I'm not sure where it originated from but Silayev led all Torpedo dmen in hits this year which is amazing for a 17-year old in the KHL. His coach, Igor Larinov, said he was Torpedo's best dman in the playoffs. Wait until he's physically developed!
We have wasted the last 3 decades with great goalies and above average D but with a forward group that couldn't put the puck in the ocean outside a few outliers and people think we need D?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
If Trevor Connelly is available at 26, could they pull the trigger?

I would.

On last week’s Athletic podcast, Basu stated that Connelly was part of the last group of prospects at the combine for physical tests I believe. Think he was first or among the first of that group and the Habs staff packed up and left as they started. I would imagine, if they had any interest, they would had stuck around for at least his tests.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Disagree. Lafeniere is the archetype "plays better under pressure" - he was like that at 15 years old, he's still like that. Danault etc.
Danault has like 2 points in 50 playoffs games.

Regardless, not what I meant. Yes, some players perform better in the POs, but those players don't answer to any rules, they come in all sizes, types, etc.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Cole Eiserman is not a fan of where you ranked Cole Eiserman.
Cole Eiserman demands a recount.
- Cole Eiserman
I’d still love to draft Cole Eiserman. I think he’s worth the risk.

-LG
Yeah, but imagine how dominate a player with that skill and that toughness could run over the league at this stage. It's why Lindstrom is so highly thought of.

Look at how people thought Tampa was tough and how people think Florida is tough. Neither team is tough they just attack in a group of 5 so no one is singled out. If you have a team that can do thar and actually beat the f*** out of people, teams aren't going to engage and let you push them around.
It goes to show you that as much as draft results on the whole are pretty linear in terms of success rate, hindsight is still 20/20.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad