• Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 63 16.0%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 20 5.1%

• Total voters

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
My guess is the conversation will be around taking Lindstrom (baring Demidov sliding) with Sennecke challenging. And ultimately going Lindstrom.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Yeah, Bob’s final list will likely reflect that.
Problem is who drops?

Helenius? Apparently some teams have him top 5

Dickinson? Not even close

Buium? Why?

Parekh? Maybe

It sure won't be the top 3 forwards or Igninla or Levshunov and Silyaev

Then there's Yakmechuk and Catton that might also find takers. I do have him close to 10 but other than Parekh I'm not sure anyone else should drop out but that still makes 10

Reactions: Runner77

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Problem is who drops?

Helenius? Apparently some teams have him top 5

Dickinson? Not even close

Buium? Why?

Parekh? Maybe

It sure won't be the top 3 forwards or Igninla or Levshunov and Silyaev

Then there's Yakmechuk and Catton that might also find takers. I do have him close to 10 but other than Parekh I'm not sure anyone else should drop out but that still makes 10

Helenius stock has dropped over the last couple of weeks, rightly or wrongly his last impressions on scouts were not good ones.

Solberg will surprise people with how high he goes now, don't be surprised if he's not picked by San Jose or STL.

Dickinson will push his way into the top 5 on Bob's list unless his last few memorial cup games are beyond awful.

I'd expect Bob's final list to be something like

Celebrini
Levshunov
Demidov
Silayev
Dickinson
Lindstrom
Buium
Sennecke
Parekh
Iginla
Catton
Yakemchuk
Helenius
Solberg
Eiserman

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
I am a fan of Helenius although I think his recent play hasn't been good enough to be an option at 5. Only guy I really don't want at 5 is Eiserman. If he falls outside the top 10 then I'm fine with trading up for him.

My issue with Helenius is that I just don't see elite attributes anywhere. He's a Johnny-All-Around with good hockey sense and Meh size. Some of those players translate, but, against the best in the world, I feel there's often a plateau. I don't tend to bet on them.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It’s the other way around. After watching games of him you’d start overthinking about why Iginla and even Lindstrom should be taken before him.

After watching his highlights, yes. His game footage is much less convincing. There will be a gap between any player's highlight reel and any given game, but the gap is larger for Sennecke than for Iginla, to my eye at least.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Now the question is....would they take him ahead of Lindstrom.
There are a few other 1st round hopeful draftees who have been injured almost all season and you don't hear a pip from their agents. So I feel like Lindstrom's agent is panicking which probably means his medicals files will show a long term issue.

I'm expecting Lindstrom to drop out of the top 10 at this point.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There are a few other 1st round hopeful draftees who have been injured almost all season and you don't hear a pip from their agents. So I feel like Lindstrom's agent is panicking which probably means his medicals files will show a long term issue.

Because they're not expected to go near the top 5 or didn't lose as much of their season during their injury. The only other ones are Kiviharju and Jiricek, but those were knee injuries and happened a long time ago.

The agent wouldn't be sending the medical information to teams if there was a long term issue, they'd be doing something way more shady.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
After watching his highlights, yes. His game footage is much less convincing. There will be a gap between any player's highlight reel and any given game, but the gap is larger for Sennecke than for Iginla, to my eye at least.

How I see it was well. I really do like Sennecke's stick skills and skating/size/shot package but when you add up everything, he lags a bit behind others. Close but not close enough.

How do you interpret or evaluate Lindstrom's vision/play making? The rest of his game looks very good but not so sure he has great vision.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I expect Lindstrom to be taken 6-10 range. Drop outside of the top 10? Possible but not according to my board.

My issue with Helenius is that I just don't see elite attributes anywhere. He's a Johnny-All-Around with good hockey sense and Meh size. Some of those players translate, but, against the best in the world, I feel there's often a plateau. I don't tend to bet on them.

Didn't Helenius play in the WC's? How did he look there with the eye test against men and an fair amount of NHL players?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It’s the other way around. After watching games of him you’d start overthinking about why Iginla and even Lindstrom should be taken before him.

I like Sennecke's game but he's a 8-13 range pick on my board. Taking him earlier is a reach. I have him in a same waive as Catton and Eiserman.

I personally don't think he slips like some think. He's going 8-13 range. We would have to trade up to get another pick from 10-13 in order to have a shot at him.

He's a 30 goal threat in the NHL (like Caufield was) and he has size. That's not slipping 13+

Reactions: bleuetbio

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
How I see it was well. I really do like Sennecke's stick skills and skating/size/shot package but when you add up everything, he lags a bit behind others. Close but not close enough.

How do you interpret or evaluate Lindstrom's vision/play making? The rest of his game looks very good but not so sure he has great vision.

I rate Lindstroms vision as average, nothing special but not terrible either. Sennecke's vision is better.

Sennecke could have the highest peak of any of our options at 5. But I also think he has the highest variance. That might be what's important though. We went for high variance with Slafkovsky and that's working out well for us.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I rate Lindstroms vision as average, nothing special but not terrible either. Sennecke's vision is better.

Sennecke could have the highest peak of any of our options at 5. But I also think he has the highest variance. That might be what's important though. We went for high variance with Slafkovsky and that's working out well for us.

Those are my concerns with Lindstrom. Vision/play making. It's lacking when you watch the highlight videos with him IMO. Not like it sucks but I just don't see reason to give him high grades in that area. Other parts like size, skating, shot, worth ethic are top notch.

I do like Sennecke's hands in tight spaces. He's got an offensive mind and knows how to score.

Still higher on Demidov and Iggy though. Lindstrom is close.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I’m 99,99% positive we will have Lindstrom, Iginla, Sennecke, Catton disponible at 5. I wouldn’t even be surprised if Demidov is there.

My mock draft top 4:

1-Celebrini
2-Silayev/Levshunov/Demidov
3-Silayev/Levshunov/Demidov
4-Silayev/Demidov/Dickinson

All in all, I think top 4 is Celebrini, Silayev, Demidov, Levshunov with Dickinson having an outside chance.

Based on that, BPA available at 5OA might be :

Dickinson, Lindstrom, Iginla.

Pretty good problem to have. I don’t know what I would do if I was the GM having this choice to make. I love Dickinson and think he is BPA between the 3 but I would be thrilled with the other 2.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I’m talking about games, never highlights.

I’d take the kid who’s still growing into his body but still gives hits. Disrupt his opponent with his reach and uses his hands and creativity to get the puck off the walls and keep possession of it. Really good in possession and the circle. And i’m not even talking about his offensive skills.

For me he’s better than Iginla. Lindstrom it’s another story, the size/physicality is hard to pass up.

skidcells

May 11, 2023

I don’t know what they’ll ultimately do but the other thing this management group has is confidence in their player development team to get each player to the best version of themselves. I’d add the coaching staff especially Marty as part of the dev. Team.

Reactions: Toene

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
if Sennecke had gone through his growth spurt 4 months earlier and he had put up his scoring pace for 75% of the season instead of 50% people would be a lot less hesitant to include him in that conversation. people forget these are 17 year olds

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
if Sennecke had gone through his growth spurt 4 months earlier and he had put up his scoring pace for 75% of the season instead of 50% people would be a lot less hesitant to include him in that conversation. people forget these are 17 year olds
Both Lindstrom and Sennecke were honourable mentions in Bob Mckenzie’s top 16 in his pre-season ranking in september. Iginla wasn’t on his list. So all 3 of them are some sort of risers.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Iggy is 7 months younger and you just wait for his growth spirt after this draft. I think there is a fair discussion to be made at the age timing of how they are trending.

No doubt Sennecke is in the mix but with me, it's 8-13 range talk.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Shouldn't the new highly regarded development team minimize that variance? Or are they just a stick to beat down the Bergevin tenure?

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Wait ‘til you see Iggy next year. I have a very good feeling for him.

Lindstrom or Iggy for me. Depending if lindstrom is there or not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad