Votes: 55 15.7%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 20 5.7%

• Total voters

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Like when we picked Scherbak one spot after Pastrnak, or Mesar two spots after Yurov...
We picked Guhle 1 spot after Amirov and Caufield 1 spot after York……KK ahead Tkachuk

Sometimes you luck out and sometimes you don’t.

Wyatt Johnston was picked 23rd overall and is the best scorer of his draft….

If Johnston or Pastrnak were sure things they would’ve been picked up in top 5…Like WTK mentioned, it’s a crapshoot at the backend of the 1st. Of course you always want a better pick but it doesn’t guarantee you the better player and draft history has proven this.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
But who in this draft projects as a #1D? There’s no Hedman or Heiskanen where you look at and say “damn he’s just really good at everything”. Levshunov isn’t the best defender, Silayev has limited offensive upside, Dickinson is just vanilla.

Could they get there? Yeah, it’s definitely a possibility, but I don’t look at any of them and say it’s for sure happening.
Buium, Silayev, Dickinson, and Levshunov are all better prospects than Reinbacher for sure. I would argue Yakemchuk is as well. Parekh is where it starts to get questionable - I would probably go with Reinbacher because he’s just a safer bet, but I understand how some would take the gamble on Parekh’s offensive upside over Reinbacher.

Buium and Levshunov both just posted the two best seasons in the NCAA by draft eligible D since the 1980s. There is only one season ever better than Buium just had, and maybe 3-4 than Levshunov. All were in the 1980s before the NCAA was what it is today, so they are pretty meaningless. To put things in perspective, Quinn Hughes posted 26 points in his draft year. Levshunov just put up 36, and Buium just posted 50 and won the championship, shutting down guys like Hutson, Celebrini, and Leonard, Smith, Perreault, and Gauthier in the tournament. We have literally never seen a draft eligible D coming out of the NCAA like Buium before, both in terms of production and pedigree.

People like to claim that Silayev “has no offense”, but forget that he just played in the 2nd best league in the world as a 17 year old and broke the KHL record for points by a u18 player while playing 14 mins/game. And he didn’t look out of place at all defensively playing against men.

Dickinson is “vanilla”, sure, I can understand that. But “vanilla” as a defenseman is usually a good thing - see Pietrangelo, McDonagh, Doughty, Josi (until the last couple years), Hanifin, Dobson, etc. Dickinson is considered a defensive D, but put up over a point per game, is one of the best skaters in the draft, and has a Shea Weber/Sheldon Souray type of shot. He was also one of the biggest reasons why the Knights just won the OHL championship. His points per game this season was actually 9th best for his age in OHL history.

Yakemchuk just posted the highest goal total by a draft eligible WHL D since 2001-2002.

Parekh just put up the 3rd highest scoring season by a draft age D in OHL history. The two above him were both in the 1980s.

I can’t remember the last time there was a draft with so many D with this kind of pedigree and upside, if ever.

None of the forwards in the draft except maybe Celebrini have distinguished themselves relative to their peers like these D have. The Habs would be stupid to pass on that because of positional need and quantity in their prospect pool.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Buium, Silayev, Dickinson, and Levshunov are all better prospects than Reinbacher for sure. I would argue Yakemchuk is as well. Parekh is where it starts to get questionable - I would probably go with Reinbacher because he’s just a safer bet, but I understand how some would take the gamble on Parekh’s offensive upside over Reinbacher.
I don’t agree with this at all. Reinbacher is a better all-around defender than them minus Dickinson. They all have huge question marks.

People are starting to really underrated Reinbacher. I think we need to start realizing just how good the Swiss league is and just how porous his teammates were in that league.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I don’t agree with this at all. Reinbacher is a better all-around defender than them minus Dickinson. They all have huge question marks.

People are starting to really underrated Reinbacher. I think we need to start realizing just how good the Swiss league is and just how porous his teammates were in that league.
Lol you just ignored everything I explained after that, the actual reasoning, and responded with feelings and nothing to back it up. Tell me, what has Reinbacher done that distinguishes him from his peers like any of these D?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Lol you just ignored everything I explained after that, the actual reasoning, and responded with feelings and nothing to back it up. Tell me, what has Reinbacher done that distinguishes him from his peers like any of these D?
Because all you did was point to stats which is not indicative of how good a defenceman is.

I don’t need to type out a scouting report of Reinbacher. I’m clearly not going to convince you so it’s not worth my time.

Now Sennecke being talked about over Lindstrom?
we gotta calm tf down yo.

It’s just Grant’s way of trying to get himself mentioned. He does it every year. He’s going to push this narrative because it pushes discussion and clicks.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
@le_sean

Not true. I mean the post is right there for everyone to see. Stats are a part of it, but not the whole story. The only one where I’d say stats are all he has going for him is Parekh, and like I said, I think I’d go with Reinbacher over him.

And the reason you didn’t show how Reinbacher has distinguished himself like these D have is because you can’t, because he hasn’t. Reinbacher would go in the mid teens in this draft.

• Haha
Reactions: WeThreeKings

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
@le_sean

Not true. I mean the post is right there for everyone to see. Stats are a part of it, but not the whole story. The only one where I’d say stats are all he has going for him is Parekh, and like I said, I think I’d go with Reinbacher over him.

And the reason you didn’t show how Reinbacher has distinguished himself like these D have is because you can’t, because he hasn’t. Reinbacher would go in the mid teens in this draft.
Yes the post is there for everyone to see where all you do is talk about their stats in their respective leagues.

“Yakemchuk goals”

“Silayev broke points record”

“Buium 50, Levshunov 36”

There’s literally nothing of substance there. So why would I waste my time. All you will point to for Reinbacher is “hurr durr not as many points”

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Yes the post is there for everyone to see where all you do is talk about their stats in their respective leagues.

“Yakemchuk goals”

“Silayev broke points record”

“Buium 50, Levshunov 36”

There’s literally nothing of substance there. So why would I waste my time. All you will point to for Reinbacher is “hurr durr not as many points”
As opposed to feelings like you? Stats and historical precedent is a huge part of the story. Get over it. Like you said yourself, I’m not going to write a detailed scouting report breaking down the nuances of their game for six players in one post. You can always tell who’s the one with the problem because they start lashing and throwing a tantrum first. Congrats, you threw a hissy fit as a grown man over online hockey opinions. Take a walk.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
As opposed to feelings like you? Stats and historical precedent is a huge part of the story. Get over it. Like you said yourself, I’m not going to write a detailed scouting report breaking down the nuances of their game for six players in one post. You can always tell who’s the one with the problem because they start lashing and throwing a tantrum first. Congrats, you threw a hissy fit as a grown man over online hockey opinions. Take a walk.
:laugh:

I have a feeling the one throwing the hissy fit is the one that keeps screaming “DEBATE MEEEEEE”

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
:laugh:

I have a feeling the one throwing the hissy fit is the one that keeps screaming “DEBATE MEEEEEE”
Sure buddy, whatever you need to tell yourself. You’re the one who got angry and hostile.

And where did I ask you to “debate” me? I asked a question, once, about your position and how you justify it. That’s a pretty normal thing. You turning absolutely unhinged in response, with fake quotes and all caps outbursts on the other hand, isn’t something normal adults usually do where I’m from 😂

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Because all you did was point to stats which is not indicative of how good a defenceman is.

I don’t need to type out a scouting report of Reinbacher. I’m clearly not going to convince you so it’s not worth my time.

It’s just Grant’s way of trying to get himself mentioned. He does it every year. He’s going to push this narrative because it pushes discussion and clicks.
It’s not Grant. Basu also mentions Sennecke could be picked at the spot. We ultimately won’t know their final list but Sennecke is very much in the convo. You all need to come to grips with that.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
It’s not Grant. Basu also mentions Sennecke could be picked at the spot. We ultimately won’t know their final list but Sennecke is very much in the convo. You all need to come to grips with that.
I’m saying Grant is the only person in the industry that would consider Sennecke above Lindstrom.

Basu was just covering all the bases like he always does.

• Haha
Reactions: jaffy27

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
Well reading the last few pages, let's hope Chicago values these defensemen as much as you guys do, because that's all it really boils down to.

If Chicago doesn't pick Demidov and picks a D, then we likely have our pickings of Demidov and Lindstrom and if we leave the draft with one these 2 we're most likely laughing all the way to the bank.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Putting up 0,5ppg in the NLA is much better than a ppg in the NCAA in a D0 lmao. Do some research bud

skidcells

May 11, 2023
I’m saying Grant is the only person in the industry that would consider Sennecke above Lindstrom.

Basu was just covering all the bases like he always does.
I am curious to see Bob’s updated list before the draft and what the chatter is going to be at the combine. That should give us a good indication of what we’ll do. Last year the chatter was all about Reinbacher or Leonard and we drafted one of the two.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I am curious to see Bob’s updated list before the draft and what the chatter is going to be at the combine. That should give us a good indication of what we’ll do. Last year the chatter was all about Reinbacher or Leonard and we drafted one of the two.
I’m sure we will see some surprises. Teams love size and there aren’t a lot of big forwards at the top of the draft. Maybe Sennecke goes a lot higher. MBN too.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Putting up 0,5ppg in the NLA is much better than a ppg in the NCAA in a D0 lmao. Do some research bud
First of all, he wasn’t even 0.5p/gp, and he regressed in his D+1 year.

Second, based on what? There’s almost nothing to judge against. There’s been like 4 players ever to play in the NHL who played in NL in their draft year. Reinbacher was better than 3 of them. The data is too scant to confidently draw any conclusions.

Sounds like you should take your own advice.

Edit: Actually, it looks like it’s only Josi and Reinbacher. Siegenthaler played Swiss-B, and Moser only play 2 games in what should have been his draft year. Needless to say, two data points isn’t nearly enough to draw conclusions from.

Last edited:

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Lol what do you want man..

People complain when WE 'uselessly get points because they don't know how to lose properly!!'
Now we gotta worry and sweat about OTHER teams going through it for 25-26-27
Like who cares lol, be happy we got a pick in that range at all and that it at least won't be 32
My only point is that draft ranks still matter late in the first round. Ask any GM and they would agree.

I don't worry about it, but drafting 23 instead of 26 would have been advantageous. Saying this, I do agree with WTK that a few ranks do no matter as much later in the draft (or the first round) compared to very early in the draft.

Reactions: Redux91

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
None of them project as #1D; that’s the problem. There is a whole lot of quantity, but nothing truly high end. You can try and argue that our best D prospect (Reinbacher) projects as one, but Hughes himself would apparently disagree with you as he said they project him as a #2 type of guy. There are at least four D in this draft that look to have sure fire #1 potential. If they see one of them as BPA at 5, which is pretty likely, they aren’t in a position to pass on them for positional need. It is what it is.
Define a #1 defenceman. And where did Hughes say Reinbacher projects as a #2? There's also Guhle. At worst, we have two #2 defencemen.

At one time Nashville had three #1s on the same team: Suter, Josi and Weber. What happened to those teams? They had the best defence corps in the league but a weak forward group.

Reactions: Garnet76

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Define a #1 defenceman. And where did Hughes say Reinbacher projects as a #2? There's also Guhle. At worst, we have two #2 defencemen.

At one time Nashville had three #1s on the same team: Suter, Josi and Weber. What happened to those teams? They had the best defence corps in the league but a weak forward group.
Who said we need three #1s lol? We just need one, which we don’t have, nor do we have anyone who looks like they have that potential.

Besides, Josi wasn’t a #1 when Suter and Weber were in their prime on the team. There was like a couple seasons after Suter left where you could say Josi was a #1 while Weber was still on the team, before he also left.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Well reading the last few pages, let's hope Chicago values these defensemen as much as you guys do, because that's all it really boils down to.

If Chicago doesn't pick Demidov and picks a D, then we likely have our pickings of Demidov and Lindstrom and if we leave the draft with one these 2 we're most likely laughing all the way to the bank.
I hope not. The Habs will have 10 or 11 more picks to select.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Who said we need three #1s lol? We just need one, which we don’t have, nor do we have anyone who looks like they have that potential.

Besides, Josi wasn’t a #1 when Suter and Weber were in their prime on the team. There was like a couple seasons after Suter left where you could say Josi was a #1 while Weber was still on the team, before he also left.
I didn't say you asked for three #1s but your opinion of selecting another d-man will load us up on d-men and ignore our biggest weakness forwards with high skill. Something that Nashville did.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Come on guys, not because Kent Hughes have said on draft day Reinbacher is a #2, that he can't become a true #1.

In video in draft day 2023 for Habs with all management, scouts... they all say in the room that Reinbacher looks like a top premiere D.

David Reinbacher have certainly potential to become a true #1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad