HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
The reason I'm leaning Sennecke now is the same reason I wanted Slaf or Jiricek over Wright in 2022. I want the guy with the crazy upside and the guy that you don't find in every draft. Sennecke's puck skills, skating and IQ in that type of frame is hard to find. Give him to MSL and Adam Nicholas and let them turn him into a stud.

austin316

Oct 4, 2016
I will admit I don’t follow the prospects like @WeThreeKings but am I the only one who is hoping for Lindstrom over Demidov?

We still need more size and skill infused into our lineup and Lindstrom plays a much more coveted position down the middle. I think you can make the argument a 60-70 point 6-4” centre who plays big is more valuable to a teams roster construction than a 5-10 90 point winger. Thoughts?

• Wow
Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I will admit I don’t follow the prospects like @WeThreeKings but am I the only one who is hoping for Lindstrom over Demidov?

We still need more size and skill infused into our lineup and Lindstrom plays a much more coveted position down the middle. I think you can make the argument a 60-70 point 6-4” centre who plays big is more valuable to a teams roster construction than a 5-10 90 point winger. Thoughts?
Issue is Lindstrom probably shouldn't be a center at the next level IMO. I also don't think Demidov (5'11") will have his production capped at 90 points.

Reactions: austin316

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010

FWIW I don't see Lindstrom as a center in the NHL

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

I want lidstrom too. if he is not hurt to bad I guess

Reactions: Gustave

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

The leading scorer of the NHL hit 144pts this year and you're salivating over a player who you think has an upside of half of that?

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I see Lindstrom as a winger at the next level, and I am pretty high on him. I wasn't a big fan of what he showed when he returned from injury though. Perhaps he wasn't 100%?

I'd prefer Demidov over Lindstrom myself, because the level of skill that Demidov brings will probably make any line he's on instantly an offensive threat.

With Lindstrom, his total package combo (size, skating, skill) will ease our roster construction quite a bit. For example, it's easier to imagine how a smaller skilled player with good transition abilities, like Mesar, could complement a line with Lindstrom's presence (similar to what we see with him and Basha in Medicine Hat, although Basha is bigger than Mesar). It'll give us more options for roster balance.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
My point is that 3/4 of the top 4 picks from that draft are trending well and Hutson was a complete steal, so I find it strange to be so fixated on Mesar as part of this broader argument. Again it just feels like missing the forest for the trees. Buffalo picked Kulich and then they took some goalie with their 2nd and passed on Hutson. Seattle took Firkus and then had two more shots at Hutson in the 2nd round and passed both times. The standard our picks are ostensibly being held to does not even really hold up in the exact same draft class for the teams that took Kulich/Firkus after we picked Mesar. Doesn't really make much sense to me that Mesar over Kulich "counts" as a bad pick but Hutson at 62 doesn't count as a good one.

As for Sennecke I probably have him behind Iginla if Demidov and Lindstrom are gone but I would be willing to extend the benefit of the doubt given the obvious tools and the recent Slafkovsky development example. I don't think they can do no wrong, nor do I think everything has been "great" thus far, but I think the overall signs have been positive enough I'd be willing to entertain the upside argument and won't be pissed about it if that's our pick even if it's not where I'd lean right now. I think it's too early to say definitively whether they're "good" or "bad" but there have been good early signs and I find it extremely strange that Mesar has become such a flashpoint in the context of that draft.

There you go, being reasonable and making sense. See how far it gets you!

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Hey buddy, even if you don't your thoughts and questions are always valued!

• Love
Reactions: austin316

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Which player in this draft has this 140 point upside ?

ya, we are so stupid talking about these other bums, let's pick the 140 point guy.
Personally, I'd pick the guy with the highest percieved point upside. Maybe he'll never hit 140, or 120, or even 100 but even a 90pt forward is still a guy you can't get except through the draft. A prospect who seems to trend toward a profile of a 60-70pt forward who 'hates to lose' and is 'tough to play against' is considerably easier to acquire... especially when he's already suffering back injuries innit?

It's a matter of taste, I suppose

austin316

Oct 4, 2016
The leading scorer of the NHL hit 144pts this year and you're salivating over a player who you think has an upside of half of that?

How often do you get the chance to draft a 140 point player? If that’s what you took from my post I am not really sure what to say. There is no 140 point player in this draft.

Bergy was right in that there are players that get you to the playoffs and then there are players that get you through the playoffs.

I want to build a team that is tough to play against, that can play big, fast, skilled, and in your face. Lindstrom may not end up being better than Demidov but I think that’s the path we should be constructing our team. We are small enough up front as is.

I could very well be wrong, it’s ok to have a different opinion!

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Here we go again. The circle of great thinkers of HF has decided that I don't like "HuGo". The debate is settled :laugh:.

This whole thing has started for a unique reason; because y'all getting your panties in a bunch as soon as someone is suggesting that this management might not necessarily be flawless, and that a prospective Sennecke pick might not be as much as a slam dunk as the cool gang in here may tend to believe. That it might very well turn out being a disastrous pick for this organization, and that this management is not immune to massive blunders.

All I'm reading in this topic so far to push back against the notion that this management has proven nothing, is that "We drafted Hutson 62nd", that "Florian Xhekaj has had a good 20 years old junior year", that "Reinbacher in 12 AHL games has shown we don't have anything to envy to the teams who picked Dvorsky, Leonard and Michkov", and that "Mesar might still end up being a better player than Kulich".

Those are weak arguments. Stop acting as if Sennecke is a slam dunk because this management is seemingly in love with him. He's not. Period.

And if he gets picked, you can bet your ass fans are going to be well within their right to be asking for some quick, concrete justification. You don't go ahead and pick a guy like Sennecke 5th overall in a 3rd tanking year in a market like Montreal without having some pressure for it to pay off in some way, shape or form before 2028.
No one here is acting like these 18 year olds are slam dunks, people are smarter than that.

They are also smarter than saying players are busts less than 365 days since they were drafted.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
No one here is acting like these 18 year olds are slam dunks, people are smarter than that.

They are also smarter than saying players are busts less than 365 days since they were drafted.

Unfortunately we have evidence going against your second claim. And most of them have aged in a spectacular fashion ;-)

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
How often do you get the chance to draft a 140 point player? If that’s what you took from my post I am not really sure what to say. There is no 140 point player in this draft.

Bergy was right in that there are players that get you to the playoffs and then there are players that get you through the playoffs.
The same players that carry a team for 82 games are the players who carry a team through the playoffs.

Some players can't step up and do more than they were doing, and many players fail to show up at all, but the Bergevin paradigm leads to overrating the likes of Philip '4pts in 22gp' Danault and other players who play like "they hate to lose".

Fact is the best players are often the best players in the playoffs: McDavid+Draisaitl got the Oilers to the playoffs and he's getting them through the playoffs. Carey Price got the Habs to the playoffs and he got the habs through the playoffs. Weber, Subban, Kucherov, Point, Kane, Toews, Keith, etc. any star player -- more often than not, they're the ones getting the team through the playoffs.

Some players step-up big time and they help get a team through the playoffs -- Evan Bourchard for instance -- but he is in this position because the superstar players ahead of him are doing superstar player things.
I want to build a team that is tough to play against, that can play big, fast, skilled, and in your face. Lindstrom may not end up being better than Demidov but I think that’s the path we should be constructing our team. We are small enough up front as is.

I could very well be wrong, it’s ok to have a different opinion!
Sure we can disagree. I feel being cautious against the acquisition of skilled players because "we're small enough up front as it is" is incredibly destructive thinking -- whoever is crappier between Demidov and Caufield should get traded away and a bigger player acquired. Done. Problem solved.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Here we go again. The circle of great thinkers of HF has decided that I don't like "HuGo". The debate is settled :laugh:.

This whole thing has started for a unique reason; because y'all getting your panties in a bunch as soon as someone is suggesting that this management might not necessarily be flawless, and that a prospective Sennecke pick might not be as much as a slam dunk as the cool gang in here may tend to believe. That it might very well turn out being a disastrous pick for this organization, and that this management is not immune to massive blunders.

All I'm reading in this topic so far to push back against the notion that this management has proven nothing, is that "We drafted Hutson 62nd", that "Florian Xhekaj has had a good 20 years old junior year", that "Reinbacher in 12 AHL games has shown we don't have anything to envy to the teams who picked Dvorsky, Leonard and Michkov", and that "Mesar might still end up being a better player than Kulich".

Those are weak arguments. Stop acting as if Sennecke is a slam dunk because this management is seemingly in love with him. He's not. Period.

And if he gets picked, you can bet your ass fans are going to be well within their right to be asking for some quick, concrete justification. You don't go ahead and pick a guy like Sennecke 5th overall in a 3rd tanking year in a market like Montreal without having some pressure for it to pay off in some way, shape or form before 2028.

What is it you don't like about Sennecke? Where would you rank him?

Personally I think he is definitely in the conversation in the top 10. In this year besides #1 and perhaps Demidov it really becomes more about flavours than quality. Lindstrom was definitely looking like a solid top 3-5 pick and he still may be but Sennecke really came on strong at the end. I love Iggy because he is such a gamer but I feel like his upside is a bit limited compared to Sennecke and some of the D.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Personally, I'd pick the guy with the highest percieved point upside. Maybe he'll never hit 140, or 120, or even 100 but even a 90pt forward is still a guy you can't get except through the draft. A prospect who seems to trend toward a profile of a 60-70pt forward who 'hates to lose' and is 'tough to play against' is considerably easier to acquire... especially when he's already suffering back injuries innit?

It's a matter of taste, I suppose
Which player that will be available is that in your opinion ?

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
The reason I'm leaning Sennecke now is the same reason I wanted Slaf or Jiricek over Wright in 2022. I want the guy with the crazy upside and the guy that you don't find in every draft. Sennecke's puck skills, skating and IQ in that type of frame is hard to find. Give him to MSL and Adam Nicholas and let them turn him into a stud.
I agree but what I dont like about that pick at 5, is that theres a really good chance you can get him at 12. Why not just trade up OR trade Matheson for that pick and pick another stud at 5?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Which player that will be available is that in your opinion ?
I haven't followed the 2024 draft at all unfortunately. So I followed the hivemind here and only paid attention to (ie read about, looked at highlights, montages, etc) Lev, Iginla, and Lindstrom in that order at first. I lean on scout reports a lot because I trust their eyes for amateurs more than my own because they know better than me how to adjust to the relative quality of opposition/competition.

At 5OA a few forwards and d-men we want will be picked... I think we will pick up a good prospect pretty much no matter what. I like Lev, I don't love Iginla but understand the profile, and don't like Lindstrom very much and don't understand the profile. I like Demidov, Catton, and Dickinson a lot -- especially Catton, I think the two forwards Catton and Demidov have "it"... Haven't looked at Sennecke, Parkeh, Eiserman, Silayev, etc. whatsoever.

Reactions: Deam78

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I agree but what I dont like about that pick at 5, is that theres a really good chance you can get him at 12. Why not just trade up OR trade Matheson for that pick and pick another stud at 5?

Because you'd pick him at 5 if you had him at top of your list, and someone may pick him before you can get another pick or you may not find the right trade.

We already know of 3 NHL team scouts that would take him top 10.

Reactions: SlafySZN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad