2024 NHL Draft Thread | No Picks, No Problems

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I went over to a friend's place a few days ago for a movie night. He'd made cookies, and although he hadn't made them for the occasion I probably ate 6 or 7. They were oatmeal raisin, and they were amazing. They had pecan chunks for a bit of crunch, although I didn't even notice the flavor of them. The cookies tasted buttery, but when I remarked on this he told me he used -- get this -- coconut oil.

You wouldn't have liked these cookies, or at least would have been too determined not to eat them to find out, but I'm telling you about them anyway because I know you'd want me to be happy.
Bandy, I noticed my 21 pack of oatmeal coco chip has gone up from $7.50 to $8.00 at nofrills, no doubt reflecting increasing demand for the cookie of choice. I now realize that by successfully championing the ultimate in cookie cuisine, I have sabotaged my own pocketbook.

From now on, I will denigrate the perfect cookie, and instead pretend to espouse your erroneous views on that abomination of circular snacks, the oatmeal raisin mockery.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Overall I'm pretty happy with this given the picks they had.

What a difference from the 2015-2021 Benning drafts where virtually every pick made after #100 in the draft was a WTF selection you basically knew was a bust from the second it was made.

Romani and Fernstrom seem like very similar prospects and I liked the value proposition there in the 6th a lot more than in the 3rd.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

What a difference from the 2015-2021 Benning drafts where virtually every pick made after #100 in the draft was a WTF selection you basically knew was a bust from the second it was made.

Romani and Fernstrom seem like very similar prospects and I liked the value proposition there in the 6th a lot more than in the 3rd.

Even relative to earlier Allvin drafts it's better. We were typically always good for at least one mid-round coke machine - Dorrington/Gardner/Alriksson. Hopefully those days are behind us.

Agreed I don't love where we took Fernstrom. Either of the 2 guys who went immediately afterwards would have been better IMO. But it's a defensible pick.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I'm a little late to the party. I'd say the Canucks did well to find upside players. Even in the later rounds drafting some young large D.

From the 3rd round to the 7th the quality of the prospect is only a slight difference.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Bandy, I noticed my 21 pack of oatmeal coco chip has gone up from $7.50 to $8.00 at nofrills, no doubt reflecting increasing demand for the cookie of choice. I now realize that by successfully championing the ultimate in cookie cuisine, I have sabotaged my own pocketbook.

From now on, I will denigrate the perfect cookie, and instead pretend to espouse your erroneous views on that abomination of circular snacks, the oatmeal raisin mockery.
Oatmeal raisin chocolate chip (no compromise) is my favourite of that family. I say you're right of you two.

Reactions: I am toxic

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Upside Hockey 2024 NHL Draft Results And Team Grades With Final Rankings:
UPSIDE - 2024 NHL Draft Results

Spoiler: D- grade (sorry!)
*so much worth checking out in our mammoth spreadsheet which also links up again to our prospect profiles, upwards of a 1000 video links, tons of different tabs to go through
*Note: the "E-Mac" column (and tab) is our final ranking of the prospect

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Couldn't agree more.....So many late round picks in the previous era were 'busts' almost a minute after being drafted. Benning kept trying to unearth a decent blueliner or two late in the draft, and one-by-one, they all failed.

But you look at kids like D-Petey, Kudryavtsev, Mynio,, Arliksson, Mueller, Perkins and Ty Young from past drafts. All of them have earned contracts, and at the very least will be given a shot in Abbotsford.

And the amateur scouts were definitely doing their jobs when they identified young players like Sasson, McWard and Bains; and signed them to ELC's.

So it's not a leap of faith to have hope that out of the 2024 draft class, the Canucks will find at least a couple of guys who will project as NHL players. It's a sea-change for sure.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I'm a draft homer so I'm incredibly biased, but I completely disagree with you. Obviously the odds were stacked by virtue of the picks being later round picks. Most people also don't get emotional over 6th and 7th round picks. With that said, there were plenty of picks that the majority of posters here liked. There are also changes over the years to the scouting staff reportedly in response to the Canucks later round drafting.

2015 - Gaudette - was that a WTF selection you basically knew was a bust from the second it was made? I recall him being the fav pick from rounds 4-7. I recall the other later round picks not being WTF picks as well given there is some skill to work with.
2016 - I think Abols was the more disliked pick but that's more based on the belief that he could simply be signed to a contract.
2017- Palmu was well received. Gunnarsson might have been the least popular pick given his zero offence but he was good enough to play on Sweden's WJC team.
2018- Utunen looked promising. Manukyan was a swing for the fence that many like.
2019 - Silvos and Mcdonough? I recall both being well received.
2020 - IIRC, all the picks after Jurmo aside from Zlodeev were well liked.
2021 - Kuskenvuo, Myrenberg, Lockhart (especially), and Forsell people liked.

Are the above mentioend guys different from the 2023 draft where we drafted Mueller and Perkins? Ty Young is probably the least liked drafted goalie apart from Thiessen in recent memory. Before that it might have been Morgan Clark.

Of course we all have our individual preferences when there's a guy we're more familiar with on the board. Like I would have gone with Roberts over Patterson.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
History shows that the best 'upside' for a late round draft pick is to make your AHL farm-team and be a contributor. And a select few more might eventually graduate to the NHL as depth guys.

But when you look at the number of 3rd- 7th round picks who'll be skating in Abbotsford this season, you can't help but be impressed. I mean it's impossible to overstate how tough it is for kids to graduate from junior and actually make the AHL.

It's a tough, physical league and in terms of 'quality' of play, might well be the second-best league in the world right now outside the NHL. Certainly when you look at the number of former AHL players who've become big-time scorers in the SHL and KHL, you have to think that these leagues are a notch below.

So even without a batch of traded first and second round selections, the Canucks will still have a roster in Abbotsford populated by a lot of their own draft picks. And that means your amateur scouts are doing their job.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm a draft homer so I'm incredibly biased, but I completely disagree with you. Obviously the odds were stacked by virtue of the picks being later round picks. Most people also don't get emotional over 6th and 7th round picks. With that said, there were plenty of picks that the majority of posters here liked. There are also changes over the years to the scouting staff reportedly in response to the Canucks later round drafting.

2015 - Gaudette - was that a WTF selection you basically knew was a bust from the second it was made? I recall him being the fav pick from rounds 4-7. I recall the other later round picks not being WTF picks as well given there is some skill to work with.
2016 - I think Abols was the more disliked pick but that's more based on the belief that he could simply be signed to a contract.
2017- Palmu was well received. Gunnarsson might have been the least popular pick given his zero offence but he was good enough to play on Sweden's WJC team.
2018- Utunen looked promising. Manukyan was a swing for the fence that many like.
2019 - Silvos and Mcdonough? I recall both being well received.
2020 - IIRC, all the picks after Jurmo aside from Zlodeev were well liked.
2021 - Kuskenvuo, Myrenberg, Lockhart (especially), and Forsell people liked.

Are the above mentioend guys different from the 2023 draft where we drafted Mueller and Perkins? Ty Young is probably the least liked drafted goalie apart from Thiessen in recent memory. Before that it might have been Morgan Clark.

Of course we all have our individual preferences when there's a guy we're more familiar with on the board. Like I would have gone with Roberts over Patterson.

Of course there were 1 or 2 guys who didn't look look terrible from the outset but by and large they were mostly WTF picks of unrated guys with underwhelming production.

2016 with Candela-Stukel-Abols-McKenzie takes the cake. I don't think any of those guys were rated by any scouting source and 3 of the 4 were overage guys with <60 points in the CHL that year. It would actually be difficult to have a more underwhelming set of picks and of course none of them came even close to being worth a pro contract.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Of course there were 1 or 2 guys who didn't look look terrible from the outset but by and large they were mostly WTF picks of unrated guys with underwhelming production.

2016 with Candela-Stukel-Abols-McKenzie takes the cake. I don't think any of those guys were rated by any scouting source and 3 of the 4 were overage guys with <60 points in the CHL that year. It would actually be difficult to have a more underwhelming set of picks and of course none of them came even close to being worth a pro contract.
Not to disagree but ironically Rodrigo Abols was just signed to an NHL deal by Philadelphia on June 15th

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not to disagree but ironically Rodrigo Abols was just signed to an NHL deal by Philadelphia on June 15th

Fair, although he didn't come close to justifying a contract while we had his rights.

Abols was clearly the best player we drafted that year but it was confusing as to why we drafted him given that he was 20 and could have been signed to a pro contract the day after the draft, if we liked him enough to pick him. There didn't really seem to be any sort of plan there.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Care to elaborate? Was Gaudette a WTF pick? Silovs? Palmu? McDonough? Truscott, Lockhart? I recall them being well received picks and not WTF picks as you are suggesting.

Candela was considered a pretty good value pick but ironically probably did the worst of all of those.

Candella was ranked #141 by HP. He had decent tools and put up 20 points in 37 games. Regardless, the point is that he was a well received pick as Josepho said.

Stukel, we drafted him as an overager after he broke out with 34 goals 56 points in 57 games after being traded to Calgary. In the context of picking overagers who has shown development, it looked like a reasonable pick. Of course our WHL drafting sucks and that turned out to be an uncharacteristically good 6th round.

Abols - I recall a lot of people not liking the pick mainly because of the belief that he could be signed as a free agent. Interestingly, Descharnais was picked one slot ahead.

McKenzie - a lot of folks here wanted Ronning. He was another overager pick but he was a former #10 OHL selection and he was a big bodied C. I think there was a time when we were pretty excited about him as a prospect as he was producing offensively. But surprise the middle 7th round pick didn't pan out.

Of course none of them panned out. We also fired Palango since then. Our "best scout" Delorme is still here though.

Interestingly, we signed Carcone shortly after this draft and he was the best of the bunch.

Like I said, I'm a draft homer so I am biased and like most picks and I certainly like the Romani selection. I think I've said to you before, I can declare every 6th or 7th round pick as likely to bust and I'll be correct 95+% of the time. Even with Romani, at even odds, I'll place a bet that he never plays more than 50 NHL games and I'll likely win the bet. That's just the reality of late round picks. I just don't see a marked difference in perception between the later rounds picks we made in the drafts under Benning vs now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When kids like Romani, Fenstrom and Pattersson are big-time scorers in junior hockey, at least that's a place to start.

Obviously gaudy junior stats don't necessarily mean a kid will make it as a scorer in the pros. But as the old saying goes, 'It's tough to 'teach hands and skill'. Either you have it or you don't.

From all reports these kids were available in Rounds 3-7 because of concerns about their skating. But skating is something that can definitely be improved, if the player is willing to put in the work.

So it'll be fascinating to see what these players do in their respective junior leagues in the upcoming season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad