2024 NHL Draft Thread | No Picks, No Problems

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
In a vacuum I don't really hate the Oilers trade for 32nd overall. If you have a guy rated at 15, and the pick at 32 is available, then sure, make that trade. But... how refined is their list? And I'm not questioning the Oilers scouting ability (even though it's questionable), I'm wondering how much time they actually put towards it when the team was in the cup finals 4 days ago. Because if it's been thrown together quickly, it's probably not as solid as it could be, and you're throwing away a huge bargaining chip at next year's deadline if O'Reilly doesn't have a great year.

Odds are you'll get your 15th rated player if you're picking in the 1st rd. Sort of how the variance works. Oilers must really like the player they got.

Reactions: wetcoast

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The only surprising thing about this draft to me is how many teams traded second and third round picks just to move up a couple of spots in the first round.

Means one of a couple of things I guess......either the first round was stacked with talent 1-32; or more likely the talent falls off off the table in the second and third rounds, and teams thought they could dump those picks.

Not exactly reassuring for the Canucks third round selection in the 90's. But hopefully the Canuck scouts can identify who's sliding for now apparent reason.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Lots of good value players left on the board. The Canucks should really try to trade into the 2nd.

I think Basha, Elick and Artamonov(especially) should be the targets.

I'd add Igor Chernyshov & Matvei Shuravin to the want list. Plus Ritchie, Freij, Badinka.

I would be in favour of trading up if they can do it at a reasonable price. More likely to get a player with your first pick than the later picks.

Reactions: Bubbles

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I hope there is some actual action tomorrow.

Tonight was a total dud.
Yep, the highlight was Celine Dion announcing the Canadians first round pick; and legendary ring announcer Michal Buffer announcing the Flyers pick.

"Let's get ready to rumble"..........but can't believe day two of the draft will be any more dramatic. Having Shark legend Joe Thornton announce the first overall pick was a nice touch as well.

And I noticed that Aiden Celebrini was in the stands to help celebrate his brother Macklin's first overall selection. What's the story on Aiden? Does last year's sixth round pick have a chance to play in the NHL and oppose his brother on the Sharks someday?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
2 Hours to not even get through the first half of the draft

The clock apparently means Frank all.

Soo poorly run
Maybe it's just me but it had a cool vibe going on being in the sphere but maybe that's because the NHL awards show was so lame so this looks 100X better in comparison.:moose:

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yep, the highlight was Celine Dion announcing the Canadians first round pick; and legendary ring announcer Michal Buffer announcing the Flyers pick.

I hate Dion's music but it was neat to watch.
"Let's get ready to rumble"..........but can't believe day two of the draft will be any more dramatic. Having Shark legend Joe Thornton announce the first overall pick was a nice touch as well.
The ironic thing is the guy they drafted was so vanilla hardworking down to earth Jett Luchanko but he does play a buzz saw style.

And I noticed that Aiden Celebrini was in the stands to help celebrate his brother Macklin's first overall selection. What's the story on Aiden? Does last year's sixth round pick have a chance to play in the NHL and oppose his brother on the Sharks someday?
His ticket is his mobility and physicality but he isn't really big enough for the NHL to impose his will, strictly a #7 shutdown type of guy and most likely never makes it.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
know zero about emery but a player with 0 goals all season getting picked in the first round is hilarious
He is considered the best defensive player in the draft and has great size and is a good skater not just some lumbering Gudbranson on the back end.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
So when can we expect that 3rd round pick to be made PST?

I understand why we traded our forst rounder but man it sucks not picking till the 3rd round.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yeah, most of the Sportsnet panel had no idea who the guy was and the one guy that did was really surprised to see him picked in the first round.
Sure he was a reach but he had a strong second half and obviously the Oilers really liked him.

Time will tell.

It reminded me of our infamous draft moment where everyone was scrambling to find out who Patrick White was.
Sure but the London Knights are a marquee team and went to the memorial cup so there was a lot of exposure for Sam as the season went on.

Patrick White was drafted out of the relatively obscure (for the time) USHL so it's quite different.

Ironically White played on the same USA U18 team as future Canuck first rounder Jordan Schroeder who at the time I thought was a steal and turned out the other 21 teams knew better.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
In a vacuum I don't really hate the Oilers trade for 32nd overall. If you have a guy rated at 15, and the pick at 32 is available, then sure, make that trade. But... how refined is their list? And I'm not questioning the Oilers scouting ability (even though it's questionable), I'm wondering how much time they actually put towards it when the team was in the cup finals 4 days ago. Because if it's been thrown together quickly, it's probably not as solid as it could be, and you're throwing away a huge bargaining chip at next year's deadline if O'Reilly doesn't have a great year.
I think that most teams scouts/staff make lists and work independently from where their team finishes in the playoffs.

Obviously the Oilers scouting staff think he was worth the risk of the almost certainty of the traded pick being higher than 32 in the future.

Reactions: God

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Let's start picking some local talent or at least some Canadian players. Really tired out picking American college players who don't sign for 3+ years and slightly built Euros. There are a lot of good BC players. Every year other teams end up drafting them. How about Tyler Thorpe or Luke Ashton? Some players with size.

Reactions: nucks88

Nopefully

Nov 11, 2023
Maybe it's just me but it hd a cool vibe going on being in the sphere but maybe that's because the NHL awards show was so lame so this looks 100X better in comparison.:moose:
I'm not sure if they're going to, but I hope they host it every year. The draft itself sucked but the venue was spectacular.

Reactions: wetcoast

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Let's start picking some local talent or at least some Canadian players. Really tired out picking American college players who don't sign for 3+ years and slightly built Euros. There are a lot of good BC players. Every year other teams end up drafting them. How about Tyler Thorpe or Luke Ashton? Some players with size.
Let’s move away from where we’ve had success in the past to something we’ve been historically terrible at. Big brain move.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'm not sure if they're going to, but I hope they host it every year. The draft itself sucked but the venue was spectacular.
Agree on the venue but it's a Draft how can it actually suck or not, it just is?

Last edited:

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Sure he was a reach but he had a strong second half and obviously the Oilers really liked him.

Time will tell.

Sure but the London Knights are a marquee team and went to the memorial cup so there was a lot of exposure for Sam as the season went on.

Patrick White was drafted out of the relatively obscure (for the time) USHL so it's quite different.

Ironically White played on the same USA U18 team as future Canuck first rounder Jordan Schroeder who at the time I thought was a steal and turned out the other 21 teams knew better.
In my post that you’re quoting, I was referring to Matvei Gridin who the Flames drafted with our first rounder that went in the Lindholm deal.

Burnaby Schmo

Jan 23, 2021
Despite what those horrible inaccurate rumours, the Vanouver Canucks do in fact have draft picks for June 29th! The draft apparently also takes place on June 28th but that seems silly.

When
June 28th, Fri.: 4pm (Sportsnet)
June 29th, Sat.: 8:30am (Sportsnet)

Where
Las Vegas, NV, USA

Why
My Children will be watching TV Saturday morning so I can just watch/listen to this. Friday is only good if some fun trades happen.

Canucks Picks:
1st: N/A
2nd: N/A
3rd: 93rd
4th: 125th
5th: N/A
6th: 162nd & 189th
7th: 221st

As is my wont, I have started a spreadsheet with my favourite draft picks for each round. For now, I have not included the 1st round. I'll continually be updating and adjusting the list as new info comes out. I have barely watched any of these players so this is more an aggregate of traits I like, stats, other posters opinions, and draft lists/rankings. I'll be purchasing Elite Prospects draft guide when it's available and make a pretty big update then. If anyone has any questions about a prospect, feel free to tag me and I'll see if I can find any write-ups on them.

In the meantime, please enjoy Draft Pro's Draft Simulator.

Yo, thanks for your hard work! This is great.

I like the sounds of Kleber and Mateiko:

5. Adam Kleber, RHD, 6’5 (Lincoln, USHL)

Kleber is University of Minnesota-Duluth commit, and his 6-foot-5, 209-pound frame makes it hard to miss him out there. He doesn’t put a ton of points on the board, but he will punish you with his strength and work ethic. Kleber had an excellent second half to the season, which saw him look more comfortable moving the puck and outskating opponents. Teams like right-shot defenders with his type of profile, especially since he can move pretty well, too. He’s a project player who’ll likely get taken in the second or third round, but you can feel comfortable in him adjusting to the pro game quite well.

8. Eriks Mateiko, C, 6’5 (Prince George, WHL)

I really like Mateiko, who I feel is a bit underrated. The Latvian forward is strong, competes hard and plays exceptionally well in the defensive zone. I don’t expect him to put up a ton of points at the pro level but I think he finds enough ways to be valuable in different areas of the game, including the penalty kill, to make himself valuable. He’s getting more comfortable using his size to his advantage, including in front of the net and along the boards. There’s enough potential here to get excited about Mateiko.

This boy, too, Tomas Lavoie – 2024 NHL Draft Prospect Profile - The Hockey Writers NHL Prospects Latest News, Analysis & More

Reactions: Vector

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
It's kind of not really a thing once you get into the 3rd round.

Elite Prospects had Eliasson with a 6th/7th round ranking.
I would say that’s true, but then you see how Minnesota drafts every single year, and they basically go best player every single time

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $682.00