2024 NHL Draft Thread | No Picks, No Problems

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Yeah, it happens every year. MS and I talked a lot about it last year and it's why we were sure that Reinbacher and Willander were going to climb the charts and a run of defenceman are going to go earlier than projected. Especially right shot guys. Pronman is one of the few draft evaluators that has realized NHL team tendencies.

Him and Bob's mocks.

It's weird this year though because there are a few teams like Buffalo and New Jersey that don't necessarily have a need. Even Ottawa, they have them taking Sam Dickinson. ANOTHER left shoot D would be nuts.

Reactions: Szechwan

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Him and Bob's mocks.

It's weird this year though because there are a few teams like Buffalo and New Jersey that don't necessarily have a need. Even Ottawa, they have them taking Sam Dickinson. ANOTHER left shoot D would be nuts.

I think this is a big reason why there's all the rumours about Buffalo, Ottawa, New Jersey, Utah, etc. willing to trade their 1sts. A lot of these teams have had a lot of high picks and are trying to break through plus it is a bit of a weaker or inconsistent draft.

northwestrcomfort

Jul 11, 2023
But moved back to Russia at age 4 when his dad returned there to play and spent most of his time in Russia/Belarus until he was 14.

He and Provorov (came to NA at age 12 or 13) are kind of in a middle ground.
lol what a backtrack

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Really getting like zero hype for this draft because we all know Cellibrini is going to SJ, but every spot after that is unknown. Plus, with the Cup finals still going on into Monday, draft is just 4 days after that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Do you mean 28th? Split on a lot of scouting services on him. Anywhere from 16-45 split it in the middle is probably where he is drafted ha. Although I could see him going at 21 or 22 or 23.

He's consensus ranked at 32 but some have him as high as the mid-teens.

He ticks basically every box for an upward mover - 6'3 RHD with excellent skating, positional IQ, and had a big finish to the season at the U18s with tons of scouts watching.

I wouldn't be shocked if he went in the first half of the first round, and I'd be stunned if he fell into the 2nd.

Yeah, it happens every year. MS and I talked a lot about it last year and it's why we were sure that Reinbacher and Willander were going to climb the charts and a run of defenceman are going to go earlier than projected. Especially right shot guys. Pronman is one of the few draft evaluators that has realized NHL team tendencies.

Yeah. Big mobile C and D are going to move up relative to the scouting service rankings and small wingers are going to move down.

Reactions: Vector

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
He's consensus ranked at 32 but some have him as high as the mid-teens.

He ticks basically every box for an upward mover - 6'3 RHD with excellent skating, positional IQ, and had a big finish to the season at the U18s with tons of scouts watching.

I wouldn't be shocked if he went in the first half of the first round, and I'd be stunned if he fell into the 2nd.

Yeah. Big mobile C and D are going to move up relative to the scouting service rankings and small wingers are going to move down.
Steven Ellis has him at 19th. Feels as if he will be a compliment to a top 4 guy.
In Ellis rankings, there are a few behind him like Michael Hage that some have talked about having 2lc potential. Jiricek could be swapped in for Emery. Sacha Boisvert could be something of an Anthony Cirelli. Ellis has Beaudoin at 30th and feels he will be a good 3lc in the NHL, that's not a player I'd take ahead of Emery.

Could lead like it always does to someone like Igor Chernyshov falling and someone getting a good top 6 winger or a smaller center like Luchanko dropping.

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
A goalie who I wouldn't mind the Vancouver Canucks looking at in R3 if he is still available is Illya Nabakov.

Goaltending isn't a pressing issue with Demko & Silovs so no real need to rush him over but he has great numbers compared to other good / great russian goalies & was phenomenal in his teams playoff run.

He is on the smaller side but seeing his numbers to me he looks like a diamond in the rough (late bloomer)

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
A goalie who I wouldn't mind the Vancouver Canucks looking at in R3 if he is still available is Illya Nabakov.

Goaltending isn't a pressing issue with Demko & Silovs so no real need to rush him over but he has great numbers compared to other good / great russian goalies & was phenomenal in his teams playoff run.

He is on the smaller side but seeing his numbers to me he looks like a diamond in the rough (late bloomer)
I wouldn't mind taking a goalie or two. I'm not sure Nabakov would fit the Ian Clark mold because he generally prefers big raw athletic type that he can mold.

The odds seem to favor taking defenseman or goalies in the later rounds so I fully expect the Canucks to select a goalie with one of the picks.

Reactions: biturbo19

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think this is a big reason why there's all the rumours about Buffalo, Ottawa, New Jersey, Utah, etc. willing to trade their 1sts. A lot of these teams have had a lot of high picks and are trying to break through plus it is a bit of a weaker or inconsistent draft.
This was my question exactly.....can't remember the run-up to a draft where so many lottery teams are dangling their first round picks for immediate roster help.

Is this just posturing, or is the 2024 draft really a down year? Makes you realize why the Canucks figured they could part with their first rounder in the Lindholm deal--which turned out to be 28th overall.

Reactions: Vector

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I can see exactly why Tony was being sarcastic in his tweet.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything here but I also saw your comment about Jfresh cards to me it's really funny and everything we have talked about the past couple weeks just makes more and more sense about the way you think.

Jfresh cards are quite flawed.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Jfresh cards are quite flawed.

Yup, they're heavily influenced by a player's role and quality of linemates/team.

They're basically a glorified +/- that regularly tells you that a soft-minute 3rd pairing defender on a good team is better than a high-leverage 1st pairing defender on a bad team.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

He had basically the best age 20 season for any goalie in the last 20 years outside of maybe Carter Hart. I'm fascinated to see where he ends up going.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
He had basically the best age 20 season for any goalie in the last 20 years outside of maybe Carter Hart. I'm fascinated to see where he ends up going.

There’s so much more value in these euro/KHL guys in the middle to late rounds than blowing high-ish picks on 18 year old CHL bound guys with low quality of comp.

Him being two years more developed as a goalie with good results is a bonus in this context of being a 20 year old.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There’s so much more value in these euro/KHL guys in the middle to late rounds than blowing high-ish picks on 18 year old CHL bound guys with low quality of comp.

Him being two years more developed as a goalie with good results is a bonus in this context of being a 20 year old.

Yeah, when you look at performance, he's the best 2003-born goalie in the world. If he was taken in the 2nd round of the 2021 draft or whatever he'd be considered one of the top goalie prospects alive right now.

But because he's an older re-draft ... probably goes in the 4th round or something.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yes getting Nabokov in the 4th round would be unreal

Current consolidated ranking is 94 so 3rd/4th round territory. I suspect a team will probably move before that, though.

Also interesting is Pavel Moysevich who is a 2004-born goalie who put up a .930 for SKA last year in the KHL. Big thing with him is that he's 6'5. His current consolidated ranking is 96 so same range.

I'm not normally a guy who likes taking goalies with high picks (or any picks) but the value proposition with these guys is actually insane relative to their level of play (and compared to investing a mid-round pick into a Ty Young or Aku Koskenvuo) and I'd be all for spending our 3rd on one of them.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

very likely we would have been drafting a tier 7 prospect.

Any names stand out to you betas out there ?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This was my question exactly.....can't remember the run-up to a draft where so many lottery teams are dangling their first round picks for immediate roster help.

Is this just posturing, or is the 2024 draft really a down year? Makes you realize why the Canucks figured they could part with their first rounder in the Lindholm deal--which turned out to be 28th overall.
nj bad season. Want to win now with 6 more years of the cheap Hughes contract. Ott same thing as they locked up their guys but are already through 4 years of Chabot and 3 of Brady. Buffalo seen 3 key former Sabres win cups in ROR, Eichel, Reinhart. Plus over a decade of no PO.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Talk of teams jumping up for a lot of the D in this draft.

Listening to these guys talk about a mock. 4 guys with a lot of NHL sources.

Honestly, the more i look at it...the more i think...If Celebrini and Demidov are gone, i just take a defenceman.

Gimme Sammy Dickskin or Zeeeeev Buium. They're the sort of defencemen who are just going to be NHL Top-4D. Period. I just can't see either completely missing. They both skate so well, move the puck so well, they both defend and attack well...though i like Dickinson more there obviously. It's just the sort player that has an insane "risk/reward" element that has as much upside as almost any other player in the draft and the "risk" starts to shrink so much because guys who can skate and see the ice like that as defencemen just don't tend to fail.

All these Forwards are just...so flawed. Lindstrom is uncreative with a busted back. Catton is tiny and not that explosive or speedy and probably a winger. Senneke skates so bad picks up nothing points and looks like MDC2.0. Eiserman is Wahlstrom 2.0 who fooled me a bit and i ain't get fooled again. Tiggy is almost like a smaller, less fast, less laserbeam shot Virtanen - with a better last name. Not to say none of these guys will succeed, but yikes.

Just take the defenceman.

And not Silayev probably. He looks like a Tyler Myers to me. Tall, fast, and handsome. Also an idiot with the puck. Levshuvov is either Doughty or he's Jack Johnson and i honestly don't know which.

Just gimme a Sam Dickinson or Zeev Buium and i'm happy.

Pronman is such a weird reactionist with his rankings though. I really don't respect it. He used to be the biggest booster of tiny "big points" players. And he's sort of pulled a complete 180. Which i understand. I think @MS would agree...things have shifted significantly. But Pronman was always so much more into little waterbug nobodies than anybody. It's hard to take seriously when it almost feels like it pains him to rank bigger guys higher to reflect "who is drafted higher". But he's realized that. He just...still doesn't seem to really like them. He's contouring his rankings to "what teams prefer" rather than what he prefers.

I wouldn't mind taking a goalie or two. I'm not sure Nabakov would fit the Ian Clark mold because he generally prefers big raw athletic type that he can mold.

The odds seem to favor taking defenseman or goalies in the later rounds so I fully expect the Canucks to select a goalie with one of the picks.

Always draft a goalie. Literally every draft. That's my personal philosophy. Unless you've spent a Top-60 pick on one who is tracking extremely well. You can relax a little bit at that point. But goalies are such wildcards, they're so well suited to later picks. Especially if you can identify traits and have one of the best development systems for goaltenders in the entire NHL.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad