2024 NHL Draft Thread | No Picks, No Problems

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Despite what those horrible inaccurate rumours, the Vanouver Canucks do in fact have draft picks for June 29th! The draft apparently also takes place on June 28th but that seems silly.

When
June 28th, Fri.: 4pm (Sportsnet)
June 29th, Sat.: 8:30am (Sportsnet)

Where
Las Vegas, NV, USA

Why
My Children will be watching TV Saturday morning so I can just watch/listen to this. Friday is only good if some fun trades happen.

Canucks Picks:
1st: N/A
2nd: N/A
3rd: 93rd
4th: 125th
5th: N/A
6th: 162nd & 189th
7th: 221st

As is my wont, I have started a spreadsheet with my favourite draft picks for each round. For now, I have not included the 1st round. I'll continually be updating and adjusting the list as new info comes out. I have barely watched any of these players so this is more an aggregate of traits I like, stats, other posters opinions, and draft lists/rankings. I'll be purchasing Elite Prospects draft guide when it's available and make a pretty big update then. If anyone has any questions about a prospect, feel free to tag me and I'll see if I can find any write-ups on them.

In the meantime, please enjoy Draft Pro's Draft Simulator.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This may be a boring draft from a Canucks POV...but I love your Kevin He target on your draft spreadsheet @Vector

Been reading more about him. Seems like a guy with pro attributes that is poised to blow up in Junior.

Reactions: Vector

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Guys I like in the 3rd/4th round:

C Tomas Mrsic Medicine Hat Tigers - 62 points in 63 games. Local kid who possesses a lot of skill and a very good skater. Needs to add strength but has a great toolkit.

C Kieron Walton Sudbury Wolves - 43 points in 65 games. 6'6 centre who skates extremely well for his size and produced well despite being buried behind one of the deepest teams in the CHL and getting very little PP time.

Reactions: Lindgren and Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Guys I like in the 3rd/4th round:

C Tomas Mrsic Medicine Hat Tigers - 62 points in 63 games. Local kid who possesses a lot of skill and a very good skater. Needs to add strength but has a great toolkit.

C Kieron Walton Sudbury Wolves - 43 points in 65 games. 6'6 centre who skates extremely well for his size and produced well despite being buried behind one of the deepest teams in the CHL and getting very little PP time.

Added. Thanks!

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
From an NCAA perspective

Colin Ralph is one of those high upside picks you make like Scott morrow was in his draft year
Coming from SSM with no major junior experience right to the NCAA

Will Skahan, maybe could be around. Grew up around hockey in the ducks dressing room as his dad is the strength and conditioning coach for Anaheim for a long time. Is a an extremely physical dman who agitates from the UNTDP

Adam Kleber could be around in the 3rd round as well. Coming into the NCHC and Duluth.
D-man with size and skating coming from the USHL with size and was nominated for best defensive defenseman.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is my WHL top 15:

1) Cayden Lindstrom
2) Berkly Catton
3) Carter Yakemchuk
4) Tij Iginla
5) Terik Parascak
6) Andrew Basha
7) Charlie Elick
8) Julius Miettinen
9) Tarin Smith
10) Carson Wetsch
11) Tanner Howe
12) Ryder Ritchie
13) Miguel Marques
14) Will McIsaac
15) Adam Jecho

Would love if Smith or Wetsch fell to the 3rd round but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Will McIsaac is a big under-the-radar RHD who I have higher than any other rating I've seen.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Can't miss on your picks when you don't have any!

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Despite what those horrible inaccurate rumours, the Vanouver Canucks do in fact have draft picks for June 29th! The draft apparently also takes place on June 28th but that seems silly.

//

Canucks Picks:
1st: N/A
2nd: N/A
3rd: 93rd
4th: 125th
5th: N/A
6th: 162nd & 189th
7th: 221st

eff me

• Haha

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'd also wonder about going a bit different direction with our 3rd rounder and Ondrej Becher, who is a double OA who destroyed the WHL down the stretch this year (42 points in his last 20 games) and is a 6'1 natural C with a pretty well-developed two-way game. Also put up 10 points in 7 games at the WJC.s. I'd wonder if you could stick him straight into a 2nd or 3rd line C role in Abbotsford and get a much more 'immediate' prospect with that pick than you'd normally expect.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'd also wonder about going a bit different direction with our 3rd rounder and Ondrej Becher, who is a double OA who destroyed the WHL down the stretch this year (42 points in his last 20 games) and is a 6'1 natural C with a pretty well-developed two-way game. Also put up 10 points in 7 games at the WJC.s. I'd wonder if you could stick him straight into a 2nd or 3rd line C role in Abbotsford and get a much more 'immediate' prospect with that pick than you'd normally expect.

He's someone I came across and thought his numbers were interesting but he's listed as 6'0, 172lbs and 20 years old so I couldn't figure out if this was just a case of a young adult beating up on kids.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's someone I came across and thought his numbers were interesting but he's listed as 6'0, 172lbs and 20 years old so I couldn't figure out if this was just a case of a young adult beating up on kids.

He's 6'1 185 in the listings I see?

If we'd taken this player in the 3rd round in 2022 and he'd just finished 4th in WJC scoring in/around a whole bunch of 1st round picks (including tied with Lekkerimaki) we'd be losing our shit about him as a prospect. Perspective on OA guys is weird.

More than his production, he's a natural C who is good defensively, PK guy for both PG and Czech at the WJC and you always want to be adding two-way Cs to the prospect pool.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
He's 6'1 185 in the listings I see?

If we'd taken this player in the 3rd round in 2022 and he'd just finished 4th in WJC scoring in/around a whole bunch of 1st round picks (including tied with Lekkerimaki) we'd be losing our shit about him as a prospect. Perspective on OA guys is weird.

More than his production, he's a natural C who is good defensively, PK guy for both PG and Czech at the WJC and you always want to be adding two-way Cs to the prospect pool.

Elite Prospects has him at 6'0'' and 172lbs and they tend to be the most accurate.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Elite Prospects has him at 6'0'' and 172lbs and they tend to be the most accurate.

He's listed at 6'1 172 in the 2022 CSS rankings and 6'1 184 in the 2024 CSS rankings so I have my doubts that that 172 lbs weight is accurate unless he's gained zero weight between age 18 and 20. And if the weight is old the height probably is too?

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Need our prospect bros to hype me up on some 3rd and 4th round long shots.
Outside of the first round
Ryder Ritchie - was hoping he would fall to early 2nd but played good at u18s Late 1st maybe?
EJ Emery - early 2nd
Lucas Pettersson - Early to mid 2nd
Cole Beaudoin - Mid 2nd
Karl Bednarik - mid 2nd
John Mustard - mid 2nd
Tarin Smith - late 2nd/ early 3rd
Colton Roberts - late 2nd / early 3rd
Jacob Battaglia 3/4
Jack Bodin - 4-7th
Hagens Burrows - 4/5
Ilya Protas 5/6
Joonas Paqvalin 6/7
Lucas Ellians 4-7

I do like some first rounders but this definitely one of the smallest lists I have ever made. Mostly because Van doesn't currently have many picks and they need in the future these types of players.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I bought the EP draft guide yesterday and am combing through it. Modified my linked spreadsheet to emphasize their rankings.
I'd probably sign up for Recrutes hockey guide before EP. If you can take away the Grant bias he does a much better job of projecting NHL players. Feel like a lot of the reports from EP are people watching junior players and not future NHLers.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I like the sounds of Kleber and Mateiko:

5. Adam Kleber, RHD, 6’5 (Lincoln, USHL)

Kleber is University of Minnesota-Duluth commit, and his 6-foot-5, 209-pound frame makes it hard to miss him out there. He doesn’t put a ton of points on the board, but he will punish you with his strength and work ethic. Kleber had an excellent second half to the season, which saw him look more comfortable moving the puck and outskating opponents. Teams like right-shot defenders with his type of profile, especially since he can move pretty well, too. He’s a project player who’ll likely get taken in the second or third round, but you can feel comfortable in him adjusting to the pro game quite well.

8. Eriks Mateiko, C, 6’5 (Prince George, WHL)

I really like Mateiko, who I feel is a bit underrated. The Latvian forward is strong, competes hard and plays exceptionally well in the defensive zone. I don’t expect him to put up a ton of points at the pro level but I think he finds enough ways to be valuable in different areas of the game, including the penalty kill, to make himself valuable. He’s getting more comfortable using his size to his advantage, including in front of the net and along the boards. There’s enough potential here to get excited about Mateiko.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad