2024 NHL Draft Thread (CBJ to pick 4th)

Predict CBJ's draft position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Going with Iginla as my final. Who cares where those in the supposed know thinks his value lies. I want a workman every night, a grinder, a gritty guy who brings it every game. That was his dad and I'm resting he'll be the same WITH the value of that dad to lean on.

Happy Father's Day to those who are papas! You too Jerome. I'll take your kid in the 4th slot...
I'll admit, my biggest concern about him is that I'm always overwhelmingly skeptical about "his dad was awesome, therefore It's In The Blood" type reviews, even though I know there's more to Tij than that.

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I'll admit, my biggest concern about him is that I'm always overwhelmingly skeptical about "his dad was awesome, therefore It's In The Blood" type reviews, even though I know there's more to Tij than that.
Agreed. For the same reason, I cringe every time someone mock drafts him to Calgary.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Agreed. For the same reason, I cringe every time someone mock drafts him to Calgary.
I think these are VERY fair feelings! I see him as #1 a Boone Jenner ×2 (potentially) who will possibly be ready when we loose our Boone Jenner to age. #2 I see him as a player who although we may see guys who we left on table becoming VERY good we'll not regret that we drafted Iginla.

The thought of a 26/27 or 27/28 season with Fantilli wearing a C and Iginla an A makes me kinda giddy! I think it could be extraordinary leadership!

Reactions: koteka

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Going with Iginla as my final. Who cares where those in the supposed know thinks his value lies. I want a workman every night, a grinder, a gritty guy who brings it every game. That was his dad and I'm resting he'll be the same WITH the value of that dad to lean on.

Happy Father's Day to those who are papas! You too Jerome. I'll take your kid in the 4th slot...
Love it. I agree with this post 100%

Last edited:
Reactions: Ice9 and kp61c

AnonCommentary

Jun 4, 2024
2024 NHL Draft Superlatives: Top skater, shooter, highest ceiling and more

Highest Ceiling: Ivan Demidov, RW

Other notables: Zayne Parekh, Macklin Celebrini, Beckett Sennecke, Trevor Connelly

Best Offensive Defenseman: Zayne Parekh, RHD (Saginaw, OHL)

Other notables: Carter Yakemchuk, Zeev Buium, Artyom Levshunov, Cole Hutson

Best Shutdown Defenseman: Anton Silayev, LHD (Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod, KHL)

Other notables: EJ Emery, Charlie Elick, Stian Solberg, Ben Danford

Best Two-Way Forward: Macklin Celebrini, C (Boston University, NCAA)

Other notables: Konsta Helenius, Michael Brandsegg-Nygard, Jett Luchanko, Cole Beaudoin

Best Power Forward: Cayden Lindstrom, C (Medicine Hat, WHL)

Other notables: Igor Chernyshov, Michael Brandsegg-Nygard, Liam Greentree, Adam Jecho

Best Skater: Berkly Catton C (Spokane, WHL)

Other notables: Macklin Celebrini, Trevor Connelly, AJ Spellacy, John Mustard

Best Shot: Cole Eiserman, LW (USNTDP)

Other notables: Justin Poirier, Macklin Celebrini, Michael Brandsegg-Nygard, Cayden Lindstrom

Most Physical: Gabriel Eliasson, LHD (HV71, Sweden U-20)

Other notables: Stian Solberg, Carter Yakemchuk, Charlie Elick, Yegor Surin

Most Athletic: Cole Beaudoin, C (Barrie, OHL)

Other notables: Ollie Josephson, EJ Emery, AJ Spellacy, Stian Solberg

Frostybrew

May 20, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
My draft forecast. Maybe the CBJ will select a few of these guys.

Zeev Buium D 1st rd
John Mustard C 2nd rd
Hiroki Gojsic RW 3rd rd
Timur Kol D 3rd rd
Evan Gardner G 4th rd
Jack Bodin D 5th rd
Dominic Pilote LW 6th rd

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I think the difficulty this year is that it is relatively flat (not actually flat, but flat compared to most years) from 2 to about 14 so clubs won't offer as much to move up. Anyways I see the high upside guys like Sennecke, Demidov, and Lindstrom probably all going soon after our pick, so I wouldn't want to move down.

I agree it is somewhat flat. And it will be hard to trade back.

Every year is different so I don’t know why anyone talks in absolutes about what you would do in a draft. There are years where I would much rather have the 4 than the 7 and the 25. And there are other years where I would rather have the 7 and the 25 than the 4. Last year I wouldn’t want to trade back. This year I see more value in trading back a few spots to be able to add a guy like Emery or Letourneau or Elick in the 20s because the value I put on my 8th choice is still pretty close to the value I put on my 3rd choice. And Emery is a better value than the difference between 8 and 3. Next year will likely be different.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
So is Buium #2 on your list?

What is the reservation with Demidov? Or Sennecke?

All-hands players not translating as well? Personally I've seen so much hockey sense and vision from those two players, and I like their skating more than most, so I'm inclined to think they can adjust to higher levels even if their all-hands approach will have to be dropped.
Yup, he's #2.

Question marks regarding Demidov:

- 5'11 guy who isn't very fast in transition
- seems to be lacking high motor
- defensive IQ and effort level inconsistent at times
- the shot doesn't look that great for an otherwise exceptional offensive talent

Sennecke:

- technically wonky skater, isn't very fast either in transition, lacks explosiveness and agility
- doesn't have high motor
- inconsistent effort level defensively

On top of that, neither is a type of player we need most in the system imo (bigger and quicker two-way LD, RD, C and G).

In general, I might be emphasizing risk factors and complete all-around game more than the upside/potential with a lot of these prospects, compared to how you evaluate them. Maybe I should reassess what my priorities in the ranking process should be, idk.

I'd also like to note that this year I haven't even spent half of the amount of hours I spent in 2022 watching draft prospects, so there is an heightened feeling of uncertainty whenever I choose to reveal who I prefer over another, even if I did conscious changes to my player evaluation.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Not a fan of Sennecke or Demidov. If Lidstrom isn’t there I prefer to go for Buium. Buium is rated higher and better prospect as well as we have a glutton of wings.
none of our current wing prospects profile to be nearly as good as demidov or sennecke, though.

having a guy who is a slam-dunk, top-of-the-lineup star at that position makes it easier to take multiple guys who are currently contributing to that glut and package them for a center or defenseman who still fits the timeline but is closer to contributing.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

- the shot doesn't look that great for an otherwise exceptional offensive talent
obviously the bold-print headline with demidov is the elite hands/skill to the point where imo he's getting unfairly categorized as just a skilled winger. the two bolded points here are, in my opinion, off-base.

here's what the EP draft guide had to say about his motor, defensive engagement and IQ:

He’s a committed 200-foot player who is physically engaged and reads the game one, two, sometimes three steps ahead of his opponents.

as for the skating, here's what scott wheeler said in his final top 100:
And while his skating in straight lines doesn't always look smooth, he's still a fast skater and very shifty side to side.

his skating isn't kaprizov level, but with off-the-charts hockey sense and 200-foot engagement, it doesn't have to be.

Sennecke:

- technically wonky skater, isn't very fast either in transition, lacks explosiveness and agility
fwiw sennecke grew six inches in two years so that's probably why he looks like a gazelle right now. but he was a monster in the playoffs and based on everything i've seen and read, he is an absolute menace on the forecheck.

again, from the EP guide:
It wasn’t just Sennecke’s play with the puck that took off as the season wore on either. He also became a fierce forechecker by the time the playoffs rolled around. Armed with a motor that never stops and a fencer’s grace with his stick, defenders were helpless when they entered his sights.

i can live with a highly skilled winger cheating for offense a bit if they are also elite at forechecking. the current forward group sucks defensively but no 18-year-old prospect should be looked at as a savior in that regard.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
none of our current wing prospects profile to be nearly as good as demidov or sennecke, though.

having a guy who is a slam-dunk, top-of-the-lineup star at that position makes it easier to take multiple guys who are currently contributing to that glut and package them for a center or defenseman who still fits the timeline but is closer to contributing.
From Hockey Prospect Black Book 2024 (1-10 scale)

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 8.50.21 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 8.52.06 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 8.53.03 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 8.53.58 AM.png

I usually look at Hockey Sense (defensemen, centers), Skating (all positions) and Compete (all positions) above a lot of other items. Sennecke's compete at 6 when he is touted as a forechecker concerns me (loses a lot of battles and drive). Lindstrom concerns me as a center with just an average hockey sense, unless he is a shoot first instead of playmaking center which is rare (e.g., Berkley Catton - playmaking). Demidov worries me about his skating and lack of real viewings. That is why I default to ZB if Lidstrom is unavailable.

Look they all have warts.

Last edited:

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
obviously the bold-print headline with demidov is the elite hands/skill to the point where imo he's getting unfairly categorized as just a skilled winger. the two bolded points here are, in my opinion, off-base.

here's what the EP draft guide had to say about his motor, defensive engagement and IQ:

He’s a committed 200-foot player who is physically engaged and reads the game one, two, sometimes three steps ahead of his opponents.
I have no problem admitting I might be wrong about his overall level of defensive involvement, I haven't seen that many tapes to know how good his great effort / poor effort ratio at larger sample sizes may be. But I've seen shifts where his tenacity or battle level without the puck isn't close to someone like Brindley. Maybe his motor is above average, but certainly not elite in my eyes.

Sennecke an elite forechecker? I'm not buying that until I see convincing video evidence.

Reactions: GoJackets1

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
via a poster on HFDucks:

He does look pretty ridiculous in some of those clips. lol

I know this might be a bit cliche, but I usually don’t like when prospects try to pull off those kinds of moves frequently. Unless you’re McDavid, chances are you’re going to have to completely relearn how to generate offense, because that shit isn’t going to work in the NHL.

/end old guy rant

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
He does look pretty ridiculous in some of those clips. lol

I know this might be a bit cliche, but I usually don’t like when prospects try to pull off those kinds of moves frequently. Unless you’re McDavid, chances are you’re going to have to completely relearn how to generate offense, because that shit isn’t going to work in the NHL.

/end old guy rant
I see a kid who grew six inches in two years who is learning to control his limbs. Every kid has to learn that juniors is different from upper leagues, so that doesn't really mean anything. This video entertained me, so I shared it.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I see a kid who grew six inches in two years who is learning to control his limbs. Every kid has to learn that juniors is different from upper leagues, so that doesn't really mean anything. This video entertained me, so I shared it.
Oh for sure, they are awesome moves and I definitely see the same thing as you do, it just looks funny when a kid that lanky has hands that good.

If we do take him, with his speed I hope he can turn into a (much more) skilled Josh Anderson, in terms of using his speed and reach to drive wide around defenders.

Reactions: squashmaple

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Wheeler today with a draft survey of scouts and players. I suspect this was targeted at teams lower in the order than Columbus (gotta get those clicks from Montreal and Calgary, especially), but still has some relevant bits for us, too:

Wheeler asked a bunch of scouts “Which of the big six D in the class (Artyom Levshunov, Zeev Buium, Zayne Parekh, Sam Dickinson, Anton Silayev and Carter Yakemchuk) do you like the best and least?” Lev got the majority of best and Yak the majority of least but it wasn't unanimous. Buium, interestingly, didn't get a vote at either extreme. Several of the scouts surveyed specicially mentioned that their team picks at the end of the draft so they're not as familiar with these players since they know they'll be gone before their team can pick.

He also asked players “Who is the most talented non-teammate you’ve played against in this class? Not necessarily the best player, but strictly the most talented.” Twenty-three players got votes across almost ninety responses.

Among the most interesting responses, one player argued Beckett Sennecke had the “highest upside in the draft” and another said Dickinson was “a man playing against kids” at the CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game.

Though few have played against Ivan Demidov and Silayev, I thought it was notable that Demidov still managed to get two votes as well, including one from Zayne Parekh, who’d only seen — and been wowed by — his highlights on Instagram, and another from Dominik Badinka, who has actually played against him four times and answered without hesitation.

1. Macklin Celebrini (23)
2. Berkly Catton (12)
3. Beckett Sennecke (8)
4. Cole Eiserman (5)
T5. Michael Hage, Trevor Connelly (4)
T7. Tij Iginla, Zayne Parekh, Konsta Helenius, Carter Yakemchuk (3)
T11. Ivan Demidov, Cayden Lindstrom, Artyom Levshunov, Zeev Buium, Sam Dickinson, Jett Luchanko (2)
T17. Maxim Massé, Alexander Zetterberg, Emil Hemming, Mac Swanson, Lucas Pettersson, Dominik Badinka, Kevin He (1)

And because apparently I'm all Sennecke today, here's three pull quotes specifically on him. Almost all the other specific pull quotes are about players projected in the late first or later, so I'll leave you to read those at the Athletic yourself.

Sam Dickinson on former Toronto Marlboros teammate and current OHL opponent Beckett Sennecke: “The thing for Beckett is he’s just wickedly creative. When he’s got the puck on his stick, you never really know what he can do but he can basically pull off any move in the book. You’ve got to play him tight and play him hard because you know that if you give him that inch of space he’ll make you pay and he’s going to put it into the back of the net or make you look silly.”

Former Toronto Marlboros head coach Justin Donati on Sennecke: “He has always been an offensive player. He can be a high-end guy in the NHL. And he’s still growing into his body. He was 5-foot-9 in his OHL draft year, he was 6 feet last year, and he’s 6-3 now. So in two years, he’s put on six inches. But he’s got high-end skill.”

OHL coach on Sennecke: “Sigh. He definitely has the potential. There are some special, special qualities about him and it’s just can he break some of the habits that he continues to do? Just so much straight-up one-on-one play. And I’m not opposed to one-on-one but it can’t be straight up, you’ve got to be attacking on angles and not trying to beat a guy with straight stick skills.”

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Teams would hate playing us.
Yeah, add Brindley, Malatesta, Fantilli, Vornokov to the list and that's a pretty significant shift in size/pain in the ass-ness/nastiness to the current team. Will be a couple years but that's something to dream about actually coming to development... skill, size, snarl... More of it in all aspects.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
via a poster on HFDucks:

Seeing a CBJ jersey #45 making moves would be strangely odd but fun to see. Has anyone since Lumbering Jody worn the number?

I am trying not to pick one guy because there are quite a few guys I would be very happy with but have definitely been warming to the idea of Sennecke.

Last edited:
Reactions: squashmaple

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yup, he's #2.

Sennecke:

On top of that, neither is a type of player we need most in the system imo (bigger and quicker two-way LD, RD, C and G).

In general, I might be emphasizing risk factors and complete all-around game more than the upside/potential with a lot of these prospects, compared to how you evaluate them. Maybe I should reassess what my priorities in the ranking process should be, idk.

I care about those risk factors a lot too, I watch for forechecking ability, and defensive reads, all of that.

I just didn't see what you're seeing. Certainly regarding Demidov's motor, I thought he was a real pain in puck pursuit.

And Sennecke's skating does look wonky but he still manages to weave around everyone and break away from opponents very quickly, I'm starting to think there might be something remarkably good about it.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Seeing a CBJ jersey #45 making moves would be strangely odd but fun to see. Has anyone since Lumbering Jody worn the number?

I am trying not to pick one guy because there are quite a few guys I would be very happy with but have definitely been warming to the idea of Sennecke.

Brindley currently wears 45

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1