2024 NHL Draft Thread (CBJ to pick 4th)

Predict CBJ's draft position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Every podcast I have heard over the last few weeks has said this is a good top end class, but the talent really falls off at around pick 20 and it’s not a good class after that. Which is why you see so many teams on the bubble willing to trade their first rounders.

Is that what we here at HFCBJ think?

Is there anyone in this class other than Celebrini who is playing right away in the NHL?

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Every podcast I have heard over the last few weeks has said this is a good top end class, but the talent really falls off at around pick 20 and it’s not a good class after that. Which is why you see so many teams on the bubble willing to trade their first rounders.

Is that what we here at HFCBJ think?

Is there anyone in this class other than Celebrini who is playing right away in the NHL?
I'm curious which prospect podcasts you're listening to. I've got some major studying for a professional licensure coming up in the next few weeks and need background noise.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I think there are some interesting guys after 20. EJ Emery won’t be a top pair D, but he could be exactly what we need - a David Savard type defenseman. I wish we had a second round pick. He won’t be in the NHL in the next couple of years.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm curious which prospect podcasts you're listening to. I've got some major studying for a professional licensure coming up in the next few weeks and need background noise.
Not that many. 32 Thoughts Podcast, Jeff Marek Show (sometimes),Portys podcast, Puck Rakers, CBJ in 30 if I’m desperate

These aren’t pure draft podcasts so it’s just stuff sprinkled in.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I think there are some interesting guys after 20. EJ Emery won’t be a top pair D, but he could be exactly what we need - a David Savard type defenseman. I wish we had a second round pick. He won’t be in the NHL in the next couple of years.
We do have our second, with conditions. We get to chooseif what we traded is in 2024 or 2025, and with how bad the team is, it is highly unlikely they give up this year's.

Reactions: Indy18 and koteka

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
15-10-5 in their next 30 would put them at a 77 points and a 0.469 Pts%. Let’s assume a 15% regression from other teams current Pts% due to their TDL moves: in this scenario the CBJ should be picking at 8OA (true 10OA worst case) or better. The “best” they can probably pick is 3OA (5OA worst case). If you assume other teams regress 10% instead, the CBJ move to picking 6OA (8OA) or better even going 15-10-5.

Last year the CBJ went 9-16-5 (0.383 Pts%) in their last 30. 16-32-4 (0.346 Pts%) in their first 52. About an 11% improvement for the last 30 GP.

If the CBJ’s last 30 games replicate last year (improving 11%) I don’t see any way where they aren’t picking 4OA (6OA).

Long story short, if you are a CBJ fan looking for draft prospects to check up on, a safe bet even with a win streak seems like 5OA - 9OA.

I found this kind of confusing. We're currently solidly 4th last, and closer to 3rd last than 5th last. A team finishing 4th last has a 35% chance of drafting top 4, and the 3rd last team has a 70% chance of top 4.

5OA to 9OA players

S. Dickinson London
C. Lindstrom Medicine Hat
K. Helenius Jukurit
C. Eiserman USDP
Z. Buium Denver
B. Catton Spokane
Z. Parekh Saginaw

I tend to think that it's unlikely that the first four teams pass on Lindstrom. Some teams won't be as interested but the teams that do like him will be taking him as soon as possible. I also tend to think that there will be less of an infatuation with a player like Dickinson, who is good in a lot of ways but not special. Silayev is an interesting case, definitely special, but his play has supposedly dropped off significantly, I don't think he's a lock for top 4. Eiserman is another special one where some teams will be much more interested than others.

Here's a top 9 mock, using tankathon's lottery simulator.

ANA -- CELEBRINI, C
SJS -- LINDSTROM, F
CHI -- DEMIDOV, F

CBJ -- LEVSHUNOV, RD
OTT -- EISERMAN, W
BUF -- CATTON, F

AZC -- BUIUM, LD
MTL -- SILAYEV, LD
SEA -- DICKINSON, LD

There's an interesting dynamic where the 3rd last through 6th to last place teams are all loaded with LD already. So that contributes to the chances of them sliding.

Ottawa would want an RD but there's only one in this range, and I have the Jackets nabbing Levshunov here.

Buium looks to have special hockey sense, so I think some teams will jump on that. Arizona will need D, and they already took a fast giant in Simashev last year.

I could see Montreal FO under very heavy pressure to not take a D this year, after taking Reinbacher last year. Their fans are brutal. But they won't have any high end forwards left to pick from, there aren't many this year.

Reactions: Indy18

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I found this kind of confusing. We're currently solidly 4th last, and closer to 3rd last than 5th last. A team finishing 4th last has a 35% chance of drafting top 4, and the 3rd last team has a 70% chance of top 4.
What’s confusing? You just gave the numbers. If we finish 4th which you say we are solidly in, odds are we pick 5th or worse. Which is why I had the low end of the range at 5OA.

I tend to think that it's unlikely that the first four teams pass on Lindstrom. Some teams won't be as interested but the teams that do like him will be taking him as soon as possible. I also tend to think that there will be less of an infatuation with a player like Dickinson, who is good in a lot of ways but not special. Silayev is an interesting case, definitely special, but his play has supposedly dropped off significantly, I don't think he's a lock for top 4. Eiserman is another special one where some teams will be much more interested than others.
It’s not that deep man. I just took Tankathon’s list and Bob McKenzie’s list and put a bunch of guys in there who were ranked 5-9.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What’s confusing? You just gave the numbers. If we finish 4th which you say we are solidly in, odds are we pick 5th or worse. Which is why I had the low end of the range at 5OA.

You called it a safe bet, which is not the case. 65% is closer to a coin flip than a safe bet.

It’s not that deep man. I just took Tankathon’s list and Bob McKenzie’s list and put a bunch of guys in there who were ranked 5-9.

I don't have a problem with that, I was just providing my analysis.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
You called it a safe bet, which is not the case. 65% is closer to a coin flip than a safe bet.
Now I’m confused what you’re talking about. What do you have an issue with being a safe bet?

I was saying looking at 5-9 feels safe (as in a conservative estimation for the “pro-tankers”) as in it statistically can’t be much worse, but could be better.
I don't have a problem with that, I was just providing my analysis.
Oh. Sorry I misinterpreted that.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I wonder if Jarmo and company will use another high pick on a RHD. They are obviously valuable and hard to find some its never the worst idea. Assuming development works out Werenski-Jiricek Mateychuk-Levshunov could be pretty fun

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I wonder if Jarmo and company will use another high pick on a RHD. They are obviously valuable and hard to find some its never the worst idea. Assuming development works out Werenski-Jiricek Mateychuk-Levshunov could be pretty fun
I don't see why not...Ceulemans is pretty much heading to bust territory and Gudbranson probably is going to be gone in 2 years (unless he opts for a 3rd year before retiring but I doubt it). We will need to have another one on hand developing by then so we don't have to pay the FA tax as even a 3rd line RD gets pricy sometimes. Personally I think if we pick 4 (most likely slot right now) how I see it Levshunov should be there unless the lottery allows someone below us to jump over us. Right now he is my primary pick unless we luck out and win a lotto spot.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
vvv FIND LOTTERY TANKERS IN YOUR AREA vvv

Thing is, I think you might need a very high pick to get Levshunov. Ranked top-4 on 50% of outlets, and being RHD only pushes his stock higher as time goes on.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Top 5 if I had my choice to pick them:
1. Celebrini
2. Catton
3. Levshunov
4. Lindstrom
5. Demidov

Catton might not go 2nd but I think a lot of teams are going to wish they picked him.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

Not that many. 32 Thoughts Podcast, Jeff Marek Show (sometimes),Portys podcast, Puck Rakers, CBJ in 30 if I’m desperate

These aren’t pure draft podcasts so it’s just stuff sprinkled in.
The Athletic does a series of prospect podcasts hosted by Corey Pronman, Max Bultman, Scott Wheeler and Chris Peters of Flo Hockey. Here are some recent links (these prospect podcasts are not on a set regular schedule. The following are all from late December through February so it includes the WJC tourney (from most recent to oldest).

I will admit it is easier to follow along if you have their rankings in front of you which are of course posted in articles on the website. It is good to hear their banter back and forth challenging each other to justify why "they like Player A over Player B".

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
On the other hand, if they do win, they can’t win again for five years. At the height of their rebuild.
Doesn't that depend on whether they move up due to the lottery? So if they finish last and pick first, then they can win again in that time frame.

Reactions: stevo61

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The guy Chicago could use in their prospect pipeline is Levshunov. A future top pair of Korchinski and Levshunov (assuming they pan out) plus Bedard? That would be a very different approach than Edmonton or Toronto when they found their generational talent centers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad